Author Topic: I am thinking about building my own fiberglass bow.....need some help  (Read 253 times)

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
I will be starting from scratch. I have lookied at the bingham project package which is $325 for a take-down recurve that includes everything needed to get started except the heat box. My question would be is there other "packages" or kits like this that would be good for me to take a look at? And if anyone has experience with what they have used and how it turned out I would appreciate it very much. also if you have pics of what you have made that would always be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am thinking about building my own fiberglass bow.....need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Chris...   don't know of any other "Kits", but I can help with pix and discussion.  I web-sited everything I did from day one... and since... I reveiwed the Bingham material several times over, but did not use their kit.   I went with clamps.  Rubber bands are even less expensive.    By choosing to start with a recurve, you're upping your difficulties on making your first form.   I went straight longbow, figuring it was easiest and meaning to move on to more complex forms but never did... 30 bows later I still love the straight ones.   Anyway, check out my archery pages at:  dickwightman.com     Follow that up with study of the many, many other buildalongs on the web.   Wish you were local, I'd invite you over to build here.  No substitute for going through the process the first time with someone who's done it.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I started with bingham , hard to beat for a first bow. I still hunt with a bingham takedown recurve. I did the hose system and had good success. A one piece would be easier, except you have to build a bigger over. I just like takedowns. Good luck. Once you build your first one your hooked. I can't hunt with one I didn't make.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Chris,

You can't go wrong with one of Bingham's kits and instructional material.  That's how I started.  Another source for laminations is Kenny's Custom Archery.

http://kennyscustomarchery.com/index.html

Kenny is a sponsor here, haven't heard anything but good about his products, and I actually just sent him an order for some lams and glass.

I started out with a straight limbed longbow and fell in love with these types of bows.  They're pretty easy as far as shaping the limbs and tillering.  Last year I got the urge to make a take down recurve and that project was a lot harder than the straight limbed longbow.  It gave me fits trying to work out the twist in the limbs when I first got a string on it.  I eventually got it and it turned out nice, but I'm a longbow guy and I sold it to a friend of a friend.  I don't want to discourage you from building a take down recurve for your first, but it is much more difficult than a longbow (I now understand why professional bowyers charge so much more 3 piece takedowns.)

Here's some pics of longbows I made and my take down.

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Stickflipper,

I to would suggest you build a one piece first.  The takedown is a bit more complicated.  There are a lot of tricks for lining up the limbs to get them straight. I built one longbow and then started making takedowns.  These two takedowns are bow number 3 and 4.    I second kennym for lams, glass, glue... and the bowyers bench here for advice.  

Whichever way you go best of luck.  Do it as a build along and dont be shy.  Ask questions.

Good luck
pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
a 1 PIECE LONG BOW WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET THEY ARE GREAT SHOOTING BOWS AND THE EASIEST TO BUILD.  a TAKE DOWN REQUIRES DRILL JIGS ECT AND UNTILL YOU HAVE BUILT A FEW i WOULD DO 1 PIECE.  i THINK YOU CAN BUILD A 1 PIECE LONGBOW FOR AROUND $200.00.  I STARTED WITH BINGHAM YEARS AGO AND MANY BOWS AGO AND STILL USE THEM FOR MY MATERIALS.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
I will have to play devils advocate on this one.  I started off building the take downs due to lack of space.  I found they are actually very forgiving.. you mess up on a limb.. you only rebuild one limb.  If it is out of alignment, you make new holes and do it again.. there are ways to hide the holes until you get the hang of it.  My first take down worked great.. learned a lot... and yes, had to re drill to get alignment.. but all worked out and I still shoot it from time to time.

If you have some mechanical skill, you will be good to go what ever way you decide.  I just built my first one piece.. still working on it, but almost done... so far so good.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©