Author Topic: micarta/ phenolic  (Read 318 times)

Offline breacher

• Trad Bowhunter
micarta/ phenolic
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Im fairly new to the forum. I have to say this is the best forum I have ever seen. I base my opinion on the content and character of the members here. Lots of information shared and I haven't seen the bashing, insults and negative comments like I have on other outdoors/hunting sites. I like it here.

Anyway, I am experimenting with making micarta or phenolic (not sure what to call it). I recently purchased a knife blade off of Knifekits.com. I was going to make a nice handle for it and give it to my dad for Christmas.

I have some "Wenge" that I bought from a local store and later noticed the sticker label said walnut. Thats ok though, just wanted you to know what Im working with. I also have some elk antler that I cut to about 1/4" to put a verticle accent in the handle. I mocked it up and it is missing something. I want to put a black and red accent on either side of the elk antler.

I wanted to try and make some paper micarta as the accent on either side of the antler. I guess Im looking for advice on how to do this. Is it as simple as it sounds? Just coat the layers of paper in resin then clamp it? Will paper micarta like this bond well to both the wood and elk antler?

If there are any good posts on this topic, can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help, I hope I can contribute to the site in someway or another.

Take care,

Nick (Breacher)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: micarta/ phenolic
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
micarta can be done lots of ways, depending on what you want.

the basic premise is what you know.layer,glue,layer,glue,clamp.

the trick with composits like this is to get paper that is dyed not printed. also do a trial run with your material to make sure it doesn't bleed.

theres a knifemaker subforum here, and youtube has a bunch of micarta vids.

welcome and good luck!

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah.. the bleeding thing.  You could use fabric as well.  Grabe some red and black denim for a neat look or just go with some "duck" fabric.

Or.. get some light colored wood.. maple?.. and die the wood for a thicker lam.

Have fun with it.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
yeah fabric is always an option . same thing though , watch for bleed through. granted youre using resin not water , so it may not be an issue , but i always test before doing things like micarta. lots of work for a small result.

i am going to try using construction paper and tissue paper next spring . feel free to try different things.

ive even seen people use yarn for micarta. ever since then i wanted  to make a burlap sorta deal from gutted and woven paracord. just never got around to it.

Offline hunter's dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Nick...Micarta doesn't like being called Phenolic...she isn't anything like her twin sister.And, for God's sake, don't "experiment"w/her....her daddy will put a can of woop-*** on you.I'm a Redding,Ca. native.....where you hail from?    Dan  :knothead:
"we pledge our lives,our fortunes and our sacred honor." Founding Fathers //                           The government was setup to protect us from our enemies and the Constitution was setup to protect us from the government!

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by breacher:
Im fairly new to the forum. I have to say this is the best forum I have ever seen. I base my opinion on the content and character of the members here. Lots of information shared and I haven't seen the bashing, insults and negative comments like I have on other outdoors/hunting sites. I like it here.

Anyway, I am experimenting with making micarta or phenolic (not sure what to call it). I recently purchased a knife blade off of Knifekits.com. I was going to make a nice handle for it and give it to my dad for Christmas.

I have some "Wenge" that I bought from a local store and later noticed the sticker label said walnut. Thats ok though, just wanted you to know what Im working with. I also have some elk antler that I cut to about 1/4" to put a verticle accent in the handle. I mocked it up and it is missing something. I want to put a black and red accent on either side of the elk antler.

I wanted to try and make some paper micarta as the accent on either side of the antler. I guess Im looking for advice on how to do this. Is it as simple as it sounds? Just coat the layers of paper in resin then clamp it? Will paper micarta like this bond well to both the wood and elk antler?

If there are any good posts on this topic, can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help, I hope I can contribute to the site in someway or another.

Take care,

Nick (Breacher)
Can micarta be used as a nock on a selfbow?

Much Aloha in advance for your answers...

:archer2:

Offline breacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi Dan,

Can you educate me and any others that are in my shoes. Please explain the difference between the two. Im still figuring this out....

Rattus, if that question was for me, Im the wrong person to ask. Hopefully someone else can help you. I know just about enough to get me in trouble right now.

Oh and I am down here in San Diego County....

Nick (Breacher)

Originally posted by hunter's dad:
Nick...Micarta doesn't like being called Phenolic...she isn't anything like her twin sister.And, for God's sake, don't "experiment"w/her....her daddy will put a can of woop-*** on you.I'm a Redding,Ca. native.....where you hail from?    Dan    :knothead:  

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I have seen phenolic in tips,so I wouldn't hesitate.

i,m pretty sure phenolic uses a fiber that is like the resin, so its almost solid...I could be wrong.

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
as a side note , for very interesting patterns in the finished product, is get a dowel, build up a shape with clay or plumbers putty, cure it, then wrap strips around your form...toss it into a huge ziploc, then toss that in a vacuum bag. work the excess out of the form, and let harden. I used to just do round cause it was easier, but my tests of the different shapes showed some wild patterns.

this style may need some overcoat if your vacuum bags are weak.

-hov

Offline hunter's dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Nick...beats me on the difference of the two....just looked like a setup for a joke,is all.
"we pledge our lives,our fortunes and our sacred honor." Founding Fathers //                           The government was setup to protect us from our enemies and the Constitution was setup to protect us from the government!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
phenolic usually has heat applied to the blank. ive seen some people do it in a sort of hotbox , and call it phenolic , but i would just call it something along the lines of "fiber filled resin"...

i still want to get ahold of some dupawnt corian . i dont see the difference in solid structure like phenolic or corian. both are basically plastic..

i could be wrong , as always...
-hov

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©