Author Topic: Beech Stave Bow  (Read 270 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Beech Stave Bow
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
So I have a beech stave roughed to 72" long, 2" wide and about 1" thick the length of the limbs. Fades are 3" long and the handle is 4"long and 2" square.

What would be a good design for this piece of wood. I know the wood will determine the exact design but any suggestions from anyone who has used this wood, would be appreciated. I am thinking 1 7/8" for half the length of the limb and then tapering to 1/2" tips. I am not sure if a flat belly or rounded belly would be best. I am planning a stiff handle section for this bow.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beech Stave Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Tony, Like most whitewoods I would go with a flat belly. Your dimensions sound good to me. I would leave the tips at 1/2" for now but reduce them to 3/8" or less when you are done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Thanks Pat.
Should I reduce the width to closer to final dimension, while it is still drying, or wait until ready to work it properly.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Leave it as it is while drying and reduce it when you start back to working on it. I haven't built a bow with beech so I don't know about how it acts while drying. I have cut straight poles for bows but haven't made bows from them or a stave. It seems to be pretty tough and heavy wood...and that's a good thing!  d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
No shortage of beech up in your neck of the woods....let me know how it comes out....I may try one since it's so easy to find.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Tony; U make a BBO yet???   Ray

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©