Author Topic: HBO stain / finish question  (Read 259 times)

Offline jimmyZ

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
HBO stain / finish question
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Finishing up a Hickory Backed Osage bow with a black locsut handle. My question is what type of stain (oil or water based) and finish would be best to use on this HBO? I believe the hickory and black locust takes staining differently then the osage. Curious to what would work best for both. Any color suggestions would be great as well. I was thinking of a reddish or darker color for the hickory & black locust and leave the osage natural cause it will darken with age.

Thanks,
jimmyZ

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HBO stain / finish question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I like to let osage darken naturally. Hickory backings works well with most dyes. Fiebings leather dye or Rit dyr in alcohol both work well. I prefer more of a wash than a stain on hickory to show off the grain. By adding extra alcohol to either Rit or Fiebings you can "water" it down into a wash.  Another stain I like for hickory is hand rubbed finely ground charcoal. You can do it dry ow with the alcohol or oil. Just rub it in and wipe it off.
  I use Tru-Oil on all my bows as a finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmyZ

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the information. I am assuming you would use denatured alcohol with the Rit dyes. I will have to experiment to get a color I am looking for. Done that with stains for other wood projects. Have not used Tru-Oil, but got some scraps to work with first.

jimmyZ

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Well, here is what minwax stain looks like.  Not that happy with it.  I took a lot of time sanding and preping, but still did not come out even..

It's not bad.. but I like Pat's idea of a dry rub... you can go to an art store and get colored charcoal.. will try that next time!

This was a water based stain from Home Depot.  

I use Toungue Oil.. I have also used rub on poly.. like the Toungue better.  Rubs in real deep into the wood.. takes a little bit of time, but worth it.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©