Author Topic: Did I just screw up?  (Read 252 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Did I just screw up?
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I just realized I glued my 10" handle section right smack dab in the middle of my Ash backed Ipe bow. Did I screw up? My bow is 68" long and as stated my handle section is 10" long, its glued on with 5" either side of center. I plan on a straight grip, broken wrist shooting style. Is my tiller going to be off now? It just seems that the shelf should be in the center, not my hand. I hope I didnt just ruin a zillion hours of rasping. Somebody PLEASE tell me Im good to go, even if you have to lie! Thanks guys

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did I just screw up?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
You'll be fine.  Your bow hand will be at the center of the bow and the shelf 1-2 inches above center.

I don't have much experience with all wood bows, but when I make a glass laminated bow the riser is centered with equal length limbs.  Once I put a string on it, I measure the distance from the string to the ends of the fade outs on each limb.  The limb that has the greatest distance (positive tiller) will be the top limb.  There is usually 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference betwen the limbs.  Once I've determined which will be the top limb, I cut my shelf 1 3/4 inches above the center of the bow.  I imagine you could use the same process on your bow.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
this took me a long time to learn, but through sheer patience and persistance on many trad gangers part- it finally sunk in...
the whole center of the bow thang!
the center of your hand, should be in the center of the bow. ie the center of your hand, which is the centerline down your index finger( the proverbial birdie!!!)should more or less line up with the centwr of your fore arm.

so if your arrow shelf is contacting with the top of your first finger, that means on average( depends how fat your sausages are!!)your shelf should be about 1 1/4" above center. measure your own hand to see if these measurements match yer mitt, if not adjust them to suit.
so lets assume you want a 4 1/2 " grip section.(1 1/4 above center, and 3 1/4" below center)
so that in turn will ensure that your bottom limb is 2 inches shorter than the top limb( the difference between the above and below center handle section measurements)
still with me- remember this took me a while to get it!!!!
so with your bottom limb being shorter, it is going to work a little harder- so thats where the whole positive tiller technique comes into play.
basically the bottom limb is tillered a little stronger than the top limb.

i have built bows both ways- some with the arrow passing at center, and some with the arrow passing above center-
and this is what i observed,
when your hand is in the middle of the bow
( arrow pass above center) the bow is more stable in your hand- it doesnt want to tip a limb towards you, and draws back evenly and smoothly, and is more stable in its shooting.

but there are a heck of a lot 'o guys here that will/can help you, that have been building beautiful bows a lot longer than i have been building bendy stick things!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Between both your comments I have stopped sweating, and my positive attitude is back! I standunder what your saying fujimo, makes perfect sense now. Sounds to me like what I thought was an error was actually a good move.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
good luck man.
wayne

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I have some one-piece bow pics to share in a few days. My deer antler limb tip overlays are drying as we speak. Im excited to get cracking tomorrow after work.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
With a 10" handle you can shift your hand up or down aq bit and come up with what you want.  I place in the handle in the center of all my bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
I just thought of something. I shoot 3 under. Do I still need a posisitve tiller on my upper limb? I read somewhere thaat 3 under should be even and split shoot be a positive upper? Thanks

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
YUP.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©