Author Topic: what year is this? can it be fixed?  (Read 225 times)

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
what year is this? can it be fixed?
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
i posted this in the history/collecting forum with no luck. it is an indian archery flatbow. when was it made and do you think it can be fixed? there is only one small crack. it's right below the emblem. other than that the problem is the handle needs reglued and some of the backing is delaminating. not bad though. also was wondering what the black backing is? i think the bow is hickory with a black walnut spacer in the handle section. click on the thumbnail pic to see the rest of the pictures. thanks, don.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what year is this? can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
My friend has a bow alot like this, his has a strip of brown glass on the back of the bow.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Don, the backing is probably paper. That was a common backing years ago. I have a few lemon wood bows made by York Archery from the 1940. York and other wood bow companies used Fibre backings on some of their bows. This fibre was a compressed paper product that for York at least came in white or black.
  Does the crack run across the bow or lengthwise? If it is across the bow on the belly side it is a fret(chrysal)and is unfixable. It is common for old glue lines to dry out and come apart like with this riser. All of this can be fixed with exception to a fret in the belly.
  If you want to be able to shoot this bow you will have to reeducate it how to bend again. It's just like the initial tillering where you exercise the limbs gradually until you get her back to full draw. This can go either way though!

For me, these old bows have more of a historic value so I just hang mine on the wall to admire a part of our archery history from the golden age of American archery. It is not worth the risk of distroying one of these bows just to be able to shoot it. As a collector item anything you do to "improve" your bow will take away from it's value. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Yeah I would suggest to hang it up and admire it.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Just googled them and they were also a toy company started in 27 and made bows in the 40s.
I did not get into the weeds just a couple of pages here are couple.

http://archery.roguehangar.com/

http://archery.roguehangar.com/notes/IndArchery-sgjc-1930_002.jpg

Kelly

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
thank you. i see bows with a paper label and some with the plate like mine. are the paper label bows older?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©