Author Topic: Kids bow backing?  (Read 274 times)

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids bow backing?
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I just finished my first self bow.  It is hickory about 35 inches long with a 15 inch draw.  It is realy light but my son is 3.  I would like to add a little draw weight though and was wondering what simple thing I could do to add some strength and increase the draw weight slightly.  Should I mess with it or just take it for what it is.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Im no expert. But Im guessing 10-15# is enough for him. How much does it pull now? You could always take an inch or so off the length to get some more poundage.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
this is the sort of thing that makes me wonder if a furniture veneer would stiffen it up a little...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I was wondering if you could use the veneer tape they sell at lumber yard for a simple backing.

Or where else could I conveniently obtain an inexpensive backing strip that would add safety and draw weight.
Brian Harris

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I am just guessing but I think the DW is about 5-8lb.
Brian Harris

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I'd leave it the way it is and make another when he outgrows this one. I'm sure you could find another kid to give this bow to when the time comes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
i have been thinking of trying it , but not veneer tape , with the adhesive already on it , but just straight veneer , and i thought of using hide glue , but i may try a strip of veneer or two and see what it really does...i mean to me its 1/16 paper...only wood...know what i mean?

-0hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I agree with Pat B.  Having made bows for grandkids, leave it light at first and make new ones as they grow and get stronger (which will be faster than you think!).  Little ones just want to have fun and nott struggle to pull a bow that's too heavy.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
I think I will leave it alone.  It is my first selfbow or any bow for that matter.  If it lasts a year I will make another one and put it up for his kids to use.  Thanks for all your advise.  Now time to make a full size version and try to keep the weight above 10lb.  ;)
Brian Harris

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Trout,
not to pile on, but good choice. these guys gave some great advice.  I have made the mistake of thinking that kids bows have to be high performance. I have perry reflexed, bamboo backed, heat treated, etc. on kids bows. Yes, its nice for the bow to perform well for its size, and that is a concern because if a kid can't shoot accurately or get his arrow to even stick, he just gets frustrated. The other side of this coin, is the way most of us go. We are so concerned with performance that, we make a bow that we want them to be able to pull, not one that they really can. (adults do this all the time you would think we would learn...how many guys have bought a bow over 55 lbs, and quickly realized that 45-50 was what they really could shoot well) Why do this to a kid, they just want to have fun? besides, you get to build another bow when he's ready, bonus!
The point of all this is that, yes you can add a wood backing of some sort to raise the lbs. but be carefull, the dimensions of the kid bow are already exaggerated. I put on a 1/8th backing once and quickly realized how much i had just screwed up. then when i retillered to compensate, i had very little bow left. I think piking or heat treating is a better option, if you have your heart set on it...but i would just let him shoot it and then make another later.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
At 3 years old leave it easy for the little one.
 What are you using for his arrows?
 1/4" ramin shafts make great kid arrows, and they are light enough to shoot far!!. If you get the 60gr glue on points they stick in, which is what kids want.Those crimp on points don't stick in very well, and kids want an arrow to go far and stick in .

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
At 3 years old leave it easy for the little one.
 What are you using for his arrows?
 1/4" ramin shafts make great kid arrows, and they are light enough to shoot far!!. If you get the 60gr glue on points they stick in, which is what kids want.Those crimp on points don't stick in very well, and kids want an arrow to go far and stick in .

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©