Author Topic: loctite 420  (Read 249 times)

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
loctite 420
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: loctite 420
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Don, why pay $14 for super glue when the regular $1.95 stuff works well and has done everything I've needed it to do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
it's for a crack, and backing that has lifted. thats what most people seem to use and recommend. actually i decided to not buy it because of the cost not only for the glue but for shipping costs on a 1oz. bottle of glue. i put this post up for the people who do get the 420. at $14.02, it's the cheapest i've seen so far. maybe someone can benifit from this info.don

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
like i said , 15$ for an ounce of glue ... i thnk whoever does the pricing needs to step away from the batch vats...

thats cheaper than i have seen it though...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I buy the cheap stuff from Walmart ot ACE hardware and never had a problem with it failing. I really don't see much difference in CA glues for what we are doing with it.
  I use super glue on almost every wood bow I build either for filling drying checks, lifted splinters or on knots. It is an integral part of my wood bow building tool kit...and arrows also.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
GUYS  HERE S A HEAD S UP ..,, HARBOR FRIGHT IS SELLING SUPER GLUE GEL TUBES 3  FOR A 1.00 I BOUGHT SOME HELL FOR THAT PRICE I DONT SEE MUCH DIFF  FROM ANY OTHER  SUPERGLUE  JUST FIGURED THAT MIGHT HELP  YOU GUYS OUT  I AINT HAD NO PLMS WITH IT AND IM HAPPY SO IS MY WALLET  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Brock, I use the gel stuff for tip overlays but prefer the thin stuff for filling cracks, etc.
3 tubes for a dollar is a good deal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
pat i agree  iv tryed it  on a lil of everything i cant relley tell the diff they also had thin stuff there for like 59 cents if i rember think ill pick some up next time im there try it out brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
hobby and model shops sell the stuff, pretty reasonably priced too - and real good quality 1??!, a range of different thicknesses too.
 there are more model aeroplane shops around than "crazee stickbow builder" shops.

but i would trust pats perspective- he knows!!!
sometimes i think we just spend more money because we believe we are getting some thing better, in the marketing world it is called "percieved value"!!!!( they even have a name for this malady!)
g'luck

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
if you look in the collectors forum, when bows are refinished.some have cracks in the risers. loctite 420 is used because it is a wicking type CA glue that will get down into the smallest of cracks. sometimes a syringe is used to get the glue into the crack. there must be a reason why, in some cases it's used over other CA glues. i can't bring myself to pay what is asked for a 1oz. bottle of glue and then to add insult to injury, be charged a ridiculous amount to ship that 1 oz. bottle. i think the main reason the 420 is used is because it is a wicking type glue that will get down into cracks that are .002 wide. if a hobby shop brand of ultra thin CA glue will get down into the tiny crack on my limb, i'll use it. some thing that another member spotted at this suppliers site that i didn't see is after you add the glue to your cart, a 25.00 shipping fee is added on top of the shipping charge. i never saw this. i'm glad he did. i thought i found a better price. i guess not. sorry. don

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Harbor Freight for super glue, gell and the thin stuff. 3 tubes for a dollar and they also carry the heat shrink film for wraping bows for cheap
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©