Author Topic: Colored glass  (Read 475 times)

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
Colored glass
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Planning out new bow. Green mountain camo dynowood riser, action boo limbs.

Does anybody know where to buy colored glass for the limbs? I would like a dark green color. I thought about coloring the action boo, but not sure if I want woodgrain showing and  would like a solid dark green glass finish.

Any suggestions Would be a great help. This will be my second bow. My first is a  Bingham project one piece recurve.  This bow is going to be another Bingham recurve but it will be a take-down.

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colored glass
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I am not sure of the colors but Binghams has some

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Green glass might be hard to come by and I think the professional bowyers that use it have it custom made by Gordon Composites.  Gret Northern and Northern Mist make some bows with it.  Maybe try contacting them if you can't find it elsewhere.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
If you can't find any green glass you could laminate a thin linen with the color of your choice between a clear glass and the core lams.

----------
Andy

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks
I'll check out those places. Once I start I'll post some pictures of the progress. Thanks again for the help

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks
I'll check out those places. Once I start I'll post some pictures of the progress. Thanks again for the help

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Jerry and Steve do indeed have green glass,but not for sale. Mike Fedora had some a few years ago. Other than that I think a nice paint job would work. Good luck.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I checked on colored glass some time back and it was not avaliable in the small amount I would buy.............James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I am with Swissbow.. if you want a solid color, head on down to your local fabric shop and buy some thin fabric to put under clear glass.  I have a webpage book marked with some really cool camo fabric I was thinking of building some bows with.

Or, if you want grain color, die your lams under the glass.. either way you get your color.

Good luck what ever you do!
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swissbow:
If you can't find any green glass you could laminate a thin linen with the color of your choice between a clear glass and the core lams.

----------
Andy
Thanks for this!  I'd been wondering if that was feasible.  I have some old Realtree camo that would look dandy on the back of a bow!!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
If you use material between the lams for color can it be Satin, polyester, silk etc? I guess the question is, if the material is completely saturated with epoxy does it have to be linen?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Good question!  Who knows the answer?????????????
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
You want a material that will soak up the epoxy.. Silk and polyester might not be the best.

Linen or cotton or duck.. will all absorb the epoxy all the way thru so it becomes one with the limb.  Silk and such might work.. but I don't think so.  Might get lam separation.  

It will look glossy under the clear glass.  Just like the wood can look dull then clear glass is like putting a layer of poly over it.

If I am wrong about the silk, some one chime in!
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I agree with Bradford about silk and polyester. I have never used it but I think it's best to use some fabric that soaks up well with epoxy. That's why I used a thin linen.

@ Andy If it's not to thick I guess it should work. I bet the realtree camo would make a damn cool looking bow.

This is one I have done for my daughter...

----------
Andy

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I've been following this thread carefully, and gratefully, as I'm planning to make a copy of an old green glass longbow.   I found some "Dark Sage" green linen that is a good color.   I like the idea of the linen, both because, as noted, it will absorb the epoxy, but also because linen is an old fabric and one that has been used in bow making, as backing for selfbows, historically, so it "feels" right for the reproduction older style bows I do. Thanks to all who contributed.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
beautiful bow andy. I do have more questions.

when you lay linen between limb and glass how much should you let overhang out the side?

and is the linen wrinkling an issue?

thanks
darren

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Hi Darren, I cut the linen just a few millimeters wider than the lams and the glass. Wrinkling is not an issue because when the linen is soaked with plenty of epoxy you can stretch and flatten it out very easy.

----------
Andy

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Andy
I  considering using linen instead of stain or dye on the limbs. I'm sure I'll have a question or two once I get started. This is going to be my  project once Missouri bow season ends.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Another option would be to dye the cores green and use clear glass.  Trux Turning did one that way looked pretty cool.  There was a thread about it I think he called it Gone Green.

I also think the bow with the leopard look is awesome.

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Jess, have you dyed the limbs before? If so what kind of dye did you use? I've read you want to use a water based dye. What are some good brands to use?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©