Author Topic: Colored glass  (Read 474 times)

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colored glass
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Darren- you want to use either water or alcohol based dyes. I use the powder dyes(anilile dyes) you mix up yourself (you can get them at woodcrafts or place like them)I've even used rit dye with alcohol and gotten good results. I perfer to use alcohol based dyes with lams.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
The simplest way is to dye a thin veneer of clear white maple the color of green that you want and then you have no problems. rit dye or analine dye from Binghams will work great. I have considered for a long time using thin cloth under glass but It definately will cut down performance by adding weight that does not provice you and benefit performance wise. Maple or whichever wood you use would not hinder bow performance and the ease of mind would make it worth the extra effort to dye it Imho. I have backed several wood bows with patterened silk and they came out really nice. It is so thin that you can see the grain of the wood through the silk,

God Bless you all and Merry Christmas,  Steve

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Would the fabric have much of a negative effect, Steve?
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
This is a great thread loaded with good ideas.

Only thing I can add is that I used leather die on a bow and within a few years is began to fade and is still fading.  But, that was not under glass but on the maple handle and the edges of the lams.  Glass was black.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Darren.zesch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I would like to thank everybody for their input, suggestions, ideas and photos, this has been a tremendous help. Once I get started I'll post some pictures of my progress. I am very excited about this new bow build but am going to wait till the Missouri bow season is over before I begin.

Any more suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated and needed since this is only my second bow.
Thanks and happy holidays
Darren

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©