Author Topic: maple board bow  (Read 285 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
maple board bow
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Will maple boards that I have seen at lowes make a good bow? Im not sure what kind of maple they are. I did see some with decent grain.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: maple board bow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
If the grain is good yes they will.  I recently made one from an HD maple board but backed it with a slat of hickory.  This board probably could have been a self bow but it's going to someone else and I wanted insurance.

Here's some pics.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Diddo. Here's one a made for my wife out of maple backed with brown paper:

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Do you think the maple is more reliable than the red oak? Does it splinter as easy?
Sorry for all the questions, but i just had a red oak board bow crack on the lower limb.

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
maple is slightly denser that red oak, but both make a good bow.  maple tends to be a little more forgiving.  go for it.  we don't have maple at lowes or HD  in texas.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Those are beutiful bows! Our stores dont have maple either,I smell a roadtrip in my future!!     :D
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I am going to try the maple, If the grain is good do I need to back it? Does the maple have the tensile strength for no backing?

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I had good results with maple trim boards, {2"x1" which is 1 3/4" x 3/4"}
 I made some 66" piramid, and straight limbs tapering the last 15" , a Holmegard, 70"  all in the 50# range at 28",and a few kid bows 48" with these boards.The kid bows ranged from 36# at 24" to 20#@24".
 I tried using Maple Veneer as a backing on some, but the "veneer" failed.The bow underneath was fine, so I removed the backing and cleaned up the glue mess.
 For the kid bows I rip the board on the band saw , and glue on a handle,and  cut out a shelf. They are all piramid style and have turned out great.It only takes about an hour and half to make a kid bow like this.I get 2 kid bows per board this way too.
 Trim boards sell for about $1.50 a  linear foot, making these very cheap to make and practice tillering on.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Pete,where do they sell maple trim boards?  Are they from a specialty shop, or can we get them at the big box stores?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
4est, tell me about the glue on nocks, on the belly side of the bow.- it looks interresting
wayne

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Let me recommend you find a local cabinet maker for a good source of maple.Maple is commonly used by them and they get just as good a wood as retailers at a fraction of the cost

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
maple will make a fine unbacked bow.  same rules apply for picking out board.  grain running straight from one end to the other as close as you can get.  on the edge and at least one other side.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I get maple trim from Windsor Plywood lumber yards, but every lumber yard here caries Maple trim. You do need to sort thru for good pieces.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
4est
ya sure like those floppy rests- so they obviously work well- any particular reson you prefer them over a glued on shelf on those shoot off the knuckle bows.
regards
wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©