3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead choice, dead is dead.  (Read 2699 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead choice, dead is dead.
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
First let me say I respect Dr Ashby's use of science in determining the best all around broadhead design. Now I see that manufacturers are trying to copy and/or improve the Grizzly and the hordes are flocking to buy them. I understand the science says the design gives you the best chance at making meat, so why are we not using rifles and compounds. I will stick with the broadheads I'm using now, because I like the way they sharpen. I think that's the bottom line.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead choice, dead is dead.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
IMHO the best head is the Zwickey two blade.  Easy to sharpen and they will do the job.  Been using it for many years.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
OK
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Broadheads are like girlfriends. You might like the one you have but it doesn't hurt to try a new one once in awhile. You just might end up liking your new choice better! Still, dead is dead.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Your right that there are a bunch of good broadheads out there.  It's also good to check that the one your using is at least in the good category.  There are a bunch of BH designed for wheel bows that really suck with trad equipment.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I agree, and will stick with my Zwickey deltas but, the work Ashby has done is good work, and reinforces what most of us here already know. And for some one huntin thick skinned heavy boned animals his stuff should be really looked at and taken to heart. For us guys huntin deer and maybe a bear now and then, it is more of a guide, ie: I shoot a 60lb bow 600 gr arrows and cut on contact 2 blade. and have never had a arrow or head fail, and get pass throughs 90% of the time unless a offside shoulder is hit. But I KNOW my set up is not anywhere near what one would need on african big game.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I personally shoot Grizzly 190's or trade points, but I think far less has been proven to be effective.  I definately agree, dead is dead.

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
keep em sharp, shoot straight the deer will be dead, zwickeys do it for me and I am not going to switch because someone told me to.

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I agree and think David has said it best for me. I'll shoot what is a good bh because I hunt mostly deer and hope to do bear or elk someday. If I was going to Africa for big game I would really try to use more of the imformation Dr. Ashby has provided. It is great reading and great work and I think he has done a wonderfull job. Agree also with chickenman, keep em sharp and shoot straight, dead is dead.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
When I started hunting in the early 70's, an old timer that had been bow hunting since the 40's showed me a simple method of sharpening  2 blade heads with a file that, for a right handed person and after several sharpenings,esentially produced a left bevel broadhead that was very sharp. He insisted that I use left wing feathers with this method.  If you were left handed results would be just the oppisite and produce a right bevel and need for right wing fletch.

We used this method on heads with bleeders also. He used the old style Bear heads exclusively.  I have used Bear heads and then switched to zwickeys after Bear changed to the aluminum feral.  I think next time I need new heads I will buy the Zwicky's with the left bevel just to save some work on the first sharpening.  I have also used grizzleys with right wing feathers and found them to be excellent heads.

Maybe single bevel head producing better penetration is not as new of an idea as we think.  People throughout history have figured out intuitively some pretty amazing things. Now we have research to back it up.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Actually, nothing about Ashby's conclusions are scientific since the  events cannot be duplicated in a controlled setting.  All his conclusions are based on his observations and personal experience and are, therefore, anecdotal.  He is really no different than most of us except that he hunts a lot more, it seems. There are really only two things that seem to be important in bowhunting most of North American big game, straight shooting arrows with sharp bhs. There have been way more big animals taken over the years with "regular" bows and "regular" arrows than Ashby has taken with all of his equipment. I am not saying his conclusions are of no value or of little validity and they are certainly worth discussing. They are not, however, scientific and the application of his conclusions are probably of little consequence for most of us that can get our arrows to shoot/tune perfectly and are able to get our bhs really sharp.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Folks sure do get their noses out of joint when someone puts some information out that might challenge their beliefs.  No one ever said that double bevels didn't work, and no one ever said you "have to use" single bevels.  Time to quit beating the dead horse.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Personally, I like two edge heads, especially a big Zwickey, because of how easy they are to sharpen. I could probably sharpen them on a flat rock.

I have a ten yr old who will be bow hunting for the first time this year. I must say, that with all the hubbub about single bevel aiding penetration, I`m sure the new single bevel "No Mercy" will be on the end of his arrows. They certainly can`t hurt.

I agree with the "dead horse" thing, but I can`t help it. Talk of broadheads will always get me to flush.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
I shoot 46# bows and use 125 grain Snuffer heads. until a dead deer tells me they'd rather have been shot with something else I'll keep on useing that set-up.

as far as all these 'scientific reports' are concerned "just because something is written down somewhere don't mean it's always true".

shoot what you're confident with and SHOOT IT WELL.   :thumbsup:

Offline scot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I don't understand why one would not want to use a lager 3 or 4 blade head on light game like deer. I get pass throughs using sharp 3 blades and a 550gr. arrow. i'm considering going in the oppisite direction. A larger head like the muzzy phantom and maybe a slightly lighter arrow.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I have not yet been convinced to change from my old, reliable double-bevel Zwickeys.  They have been very effective (even on large game) for decades.  

With a normal 6 pack of Eskimos running about 20 bucks, that is a steal in my book.  If taken care of, those 6 Eskimos could kill tons of critters.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Broadhead choice. We know that big sharp multiblade broadheads kill deer. No question there. It doesn't work for everyone and their own set-up however. So what are some options if you want to increase your efficiency/success rate? Ashby has reported some things that he has tested and reported that you may consider. Some argue it is not scientific. I say it's not perfect science but it is science. He has made observations on arrow lethality, asked questions, tested those questions and reported his results. He has even attempted to test each variable that he has encountered and tested those specific variables. Is his methods and mediums perfect? No, but his published results are much more than anecdotal. Each person then has to decide if that information may be helpful to them. As far as new broadheads and prices, looks to me like a lot of us have more than one economical traditional bow. Cheap bows kill deer as well as expensive ones. And still dead is dead.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Just so there is no misunderstanding. Ashby's observations and recommendations seem to me to have more validity and I would certainly follow his advise if I were going to be hunting dangerous big game like buffs in Oz or Africa. However, a lot, actually, most of what he says, while making perfect sense is "overkill" (pun intended) for the majority of us who are hunting medium to small size big game like deer and bear. I think there is a point of diminishing returns on arrow weight and high FOC. I have found that a high FOC seems to have afforded me better penetration but to go beyond the 200-225 grains I use up front right now causes me tuning problems that I am not willing to invest money in (meaning I would have to buy new shafts and they ain't cheap) in order to make gains that I  am not convinced are necessary. As for the single bevel bh.....I believe it is a niche market and I find them extremely hard to get shaving sharp. Putting a 600# moose down in 20 yards with a scary sharp Razorcap told me all I need to know about what an adequate set up for me is.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Striving to make our chosen equipment (in our case, it happens to be traditional archery gear) as deadly and efficient as possible is our responsibility.  

I haven't used Dr. Ashby's techniques but plan to give them a try.  I like his idea that his techniques really shine on the marginal hits, especially where bone is encountered.  And I know that not one person on this website can claim to have always made perfect hits on game.

I look at his work like this:  automobile manufacturers have a research and development department that strives to make trucks better.  But at the end of the day a truck still has four wheels, a bed, a cab, an engine, etc.  I consider Dr. Ashby the research and development department for trad archery.  Do his findings mean that the way we have always done it don't work or are somehow lesser?  Not a bit.  He is just sharing his findings and showing us ANOTHER WAY to do things.  Take them or leave them.  It's your choice.  But they still involve a trad bow, arrow and broadhead.  I just don't understand why some people get all worked up about his proposals, as if they are an affront to the traditional ways we are used to.

One more thing...how did the single bevel broadhead get a reputation as hard to sharpen?  I have a number of knives with a single bevel edge (Emerson, CRKT, etc. with a tanto style blade) and they are the absolute easiest knives I own to sharpen to a scary edge.  Simply work them on a file or stone at the right angle, then flip them over and knock off the wire edge on a strop.  Done.  No counting strokes per side, no switching from side to side and having to reset the angle.  I did the same to a Zwickey I had lying around and found it a piece of cake to turn into a single bevel that is razor sharp.  Just my two cents on all this.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Dale, It's not the single bevel on the broadhead that's hard to sharpen, it's specifically the Grizzly brand single bevel broadhead.  They are very hard steel.

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©