Author Topic: need some help in iowa  (Read 274 times)

Offline ronnieross

• Trad Bowhunter
need some help in iowa
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
i have recently got into shooting a recurve bow and im in the process of building a longbow.  My longbow is about 90% done but due to the loss of my teacher im not quite sure where to go from here.  I started with a piece of hickory about 4" thick and 60" long.  I have my handle and fadeouts completed.  My bottom limb is still being thinned out due to not enough flex.  The questions i have are whats the best way to seal the bow?  Should i learn how to make a string or buy one thats already to length? also id like some info on how to fletch my own arrows since i like the idea of shooting wood arrows. any info would be really helpful and if theres any clubs/groups that deal with bow building in iowa id like to know about them also.  Thanks

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some help in iowa
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I think probably the easiest way to finish the bow would be with tung oil. You can pick it up at Lowe's or home Depot and it's not very expensive. Sand the wood down to 220 grit or finer and clean the dust off. Wipe the tung oil on and message it in. Do three or three coats. Rub it with fine steel wool between coats. Makes a real nice durable finish without the expense or hassle of a spray gun and air compressor. The t-bird epoxy I use is around $90.00 for a quart unit.
 For your first bow I would probably buy a string just because again, you will be looking at 40-50 bucks to buy the string material. It's always good to know how to make them but unless you will be making quite a feww, it can be expensive.
 Fletching your own arrows is very easy if you have a jig. I suggest using fletching tape rather than glue. It's super easy and fast and that stuff holds until the fletching wears out!
  Search around and you might find a used jig ont he classifieds or might find someone who is will to trade for something.
 Best of luck to you, Mike

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I use Tongue oil to seal my bows. I buy the type you wipe on, wait 6 or 7 minutes and buff off with a dry rag. I put 3 or 4 coats on it, waiting 24 hours between coats. There are many ways to seal a bow. I am sure others will respond. Strings are fun and easy to make, there are videos out there on how to do it. Even free videos on youtube.com - Arrows are fun to make also. Should be videos on you tube on how to do that. Three Rivers archery has videos on their webpage too. If I lived closer, I could teach you all of this.. Wish you the best, Roy

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
ronnie tru oil is also good cheap and wally world has it  where  ya  at in iowa  im thinkin if ur close to ceader groce or council bluffs  u might get ahold of brett landon   he can probly help ya  i would if i could  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
a roll of b50, some serving material and a $5 serving tool , some scraps of lumber, and some nails, and you can make your own endless strings, the multi coloured flemish strings can come later- and you can build a neat tillering string at the same time.
i have all the gear for arrow building, fletch jigs,feather burners,shaft shooter etc etc, but the more arrows i make the more i like making the simple yet effective eastern two feather fletch- and a bunch of other primitive, yet very effective fletching combo's.( but then i do still fletch some traditional glued on fletch- just depends what feathers i have)
good luck, and never quit- there is always a way to do something.
regards
wayne

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
pat had a post on here a few days ago that really showed some neat arrows he had built- also a really good article in the primitive archer a few issue back that showed how to do the fletching- if you are interrested- i could send the info for the magazine.
wayne

Offline sub-zero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Were are you in Iowa. I would make my own string. Tru-oil is good stuff. If you are close I would be glad to help you out.
Behind every good man is a good woman-guess that explains why i'm no good

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©