3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkey hunting  (Read 378 times)

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
turkey hunting
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
What is your favorite technique for getting a spring turkey that you discovered for yourself?

Offline BroknArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Scouting, scouting, scouting.  The birds where we hunt are really pressured so we will  scout  morning and evening from now through the end of the season.  Usually, roost  birds in the evening and set  up a blind that night, then return early next morning.   By setting the blind up the night before I dont have to be in a hurry and can take a little more time in choosing a location to set up.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
It is much preferable to have your blind set up the night before in a field where turkeys frequented the day before but I also like to run and gun.

I like to walk a couple hundred yards and call then a couple hundred more etc... until I get on a bird.  It's nice if you have a VERY portable blind.

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Using a recurve, it's hard enough to draw on a turkey.  Those portable blinds are a life saver.  You can get away w/ sooooo much more movement.  I also like to set it up and take it down only in the dark.  That way you aren't educating the birds.

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
I to like to run and gun,which makes a blind a sort of ilogical unless you can make it very portable.I thought about a Vtype with 3stakes and some camo material something I can pull and roll up in a hurry.Question,when using decoys is it true the gobblers will always face the jake?If so I might just use decoys.
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Ive never bowhunted turkeys so this is all new to me.
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
It's probably safe to say that when hunting in agricultural areas, blinds make real good sense. But I hunt western public lands (for everything), where the birds are generally too scattered and moving all the time, and often too far back in, to make a blind workable. I just wear my usual dark plaid shirts and a face mask and look for a comfortable spot in the shade with a dense brush background. I'm rarely busted that way. My two problems with trad turkey hunting have been the same for years -- the need, often, to be able to hold at full draw for long periods, and difficulty of finding birds after they're shot. For the first, I build special short, light-draw turkey bows. For the second, I use huge heads and try to "pin" the bird to something like a tree or a dirt bank, so the arrow stays in and the birds is prevented from running or flying. I really love roaming the spring woods for turkeys and morels and would never be happy in a blind. To each his own fun.

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Blinds are a great way to hunt turkeys.If you can get on the edge of fields. Or on top of a ridge. Slip in before daylight an call every 20 mins. or so. An set tight If a bird hears you he will come sometime that morning.An a lot of times a jake will sneek in an never say a word. Just dont give up.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm curious (you successful turkey hunters) what broadheads you've used ? I've often read about gobblers being shot and they fly off, dead birds but not recovered.

Because of that I'm thinking a Magnus Bullhead, blind hunting and having my decoys at like 15 yards. I can see head shots possible because of the way the gobbler strut in, fanning, watching the jake/hen decoys .... you'd have a nice shot in the setup like I had last year

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
As far as broadheads go I used a WW.on the bird above i have used snuffers also. What i like to do is put me some sticks  out at 15 yds. An i wont shoot past them. The main thing i think is to practice out of your blind. And no where to shoot the bird.Heres a link that i found helpfull.http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/library/libindex-bow-shots.htm
I also have been looking at the Bullheads. Cutting one head off sounds    :bigsmyl:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
My 2nd Attempt at the Turkey Hunt, I bought some "Camo'ed Burlap" At Walrus World. I am a Rookie Here, seeing as I havent Ever Hunted Anything But Paper & Foam with My LongBow!! The Worst Part for Me is that 4:00 a.m. Alarm Clock! I am Sure that Once I SEE one ON the Ground, the Juices within will start Pumping!!
 My 1st attempt was a Joke to begin with, and I KNOW There Were Turkeys LAUGHING THEIR BUTTS OFF at Us. hahaha Thats Ok, we had a GREAT TIME!! And I Look Forward to Many More Great Times!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm not an expert but have had some success.  Snuffer broadheads and if you're in a blind don't worry about setting decoys farther than 10 yards.  I am always amazed at how turkeys are unaffected by blinds.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
The blind seems to be a real help.  I found an umbrella type that looks interesting for hard woods.  Last year I had a youngster that shot good enough, but he a tendency to stand up and point.  Cute and fun, but not a way to get a turkey in close enough.  Since i was laying flat on the ground he must have thought he needed a better view.  A blind would give the kids something stay behind, I hope.  Didn't get a turkey my self, but I found a morel that I almost put my tag on.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
my blind is BIG - its like 12' x 12' with 6' standing room ! We set it up, and leave it for weeks.

last year we had several gobblers in the 20-30 yard range, but they'd have come closer if we'd have had the decoys closer.

one NICE bird almost stuck his head in the blind !

I haven't decided what to use .......

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
keep your decoys at about 8 yds or so, and be patient. the new decoys are even better year to year, and a bobble head hen is the ticket, with a jake nearby. they will run you over. I have had many good easy close encounters, and last spring I could have reached out and touched 5 jakes. I love the portable blinds like cabelas full draw (i think is what its called). 10 lbs and wears like a backpack. I don't bring a seat, I set it up over a log and sit on a cushon on the log. it sets up in like 15 seconds or so and quietly. i have shot them without blinds, but it is much more challenging. a wide 3 blade only somewhat sharp is a good choice, I use heads I killed deer with the year before and don't resharpen them to prevent a pass-thru. I am considering trying the crazy head chopping heads. At close range seems legit.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
I have used a Double Bull blind for many yrs.  I put a lawn chain in it for comfort.  I also use Buck Wing decoys.  Try mounting a jake on top of a hen ( breeding position) and stand back.  I have had toms come in and beat the pulp out of my decoy.  I place the jake about 3 yds in front of my blind facing the blind.  Also have 2-3 hens spread out - none further than 10 yds from the blind.  A 15 yd shot would be a long turkey shot if you play it right.  I have had hens peek into my blind.  Dress in dark colors when in the blind so they don't see you move.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
spot and stalk is the only way I did it and it's my my favorite Although hard, I got 2 birds that way in my short 4 years of hunting them. I think my first bird must have been beginner's dumb luck, because it was a real trophy, according to lifelong turkey hunters, 23#, 10 and 1/2" beard.
my second one was more tactical. I spotted a flock about 500 yards away while they were going over a ridge. I chased that flock over 3 ridges, kinda' like Elk hunting. anticipating their path, I hid flat on the ground with my ghillie suit on and waited.I killed him while he was too busy fighting his bud to pay attention to me   :cool:
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©