Author Topic: ** Gave away Finished BBI (Pics)  (Read 531 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
** Gave away Finished BBI (Pics)
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
So I got a blank from primalneed archery on Thursday.  I've been working it down ever so slowly (That Ipe is tough stuff) and working alone is so drab so I brought along a straggler who has been interested in building a bow (red oak pyramid following 4est's walkthrough).  So far so good.  I'm about ready for brace height and shooting for 60ish lbs @ 31".  

I'll add some more pictures as the day goes on to get some critical feedback on the tiller and when my need of rest becomes more frequent.

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ** Gave away Finished BBI (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Is that's David's extreme R/D blank? I've seen two very fast bows made with those blanks. David does a great job at laying them up so it usually doesn't take much to hit full draw with a well tillered bow. Looking forward to following your progress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
It's his mild R/D and it looks like a fantastic glue up job.  I'd give him two thumbs up.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
After some scraping and the toughest time getting her strung she's coming along nicely.  Got it braced up at 6.5" At the moment it's 60lbs @ 26.5" so closer to the desired weight and just a few inches short of draw length.  If there are any thoughts on tiller feel free to let me know.  Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Get the tips to open up a bit more and the right limb looks a bit still mid limb.
  You are gonna enjoy shooting that bow. David has a magic touch!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
that thing looks wicked sick!

keep it up and keep the pics comin!

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
WOW, that baby looks like a real fast shooter. Like the profile. Looking forward to see the finished bow.

----------
Andy

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
beautiful profile and should be a fast one
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

Here's the full draw picture.  I've got to learn not to cant the bow during a full draw picture so it looks out of wack.  It's around 57lbs @ my 28" draw and 63lbs at the desired 31".  The tips come out a bit more at 31" and the tiller is spot on with the handy dandy "gizmo".  Boy will it kick out an arrow.  Shot it a bit today and last night and I'm excited for the guy that will get this bow.  I'll post up pictures after the finish sanding and adding a couple coats of spar urethane.

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Tiller looks pretty good.  Can't wait to see the finished pics.  

How long is the bow?  I don't know if it's just the angles of the pics but it looks HUGE!  LOL

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
love that full draw profile. makes me wish i had some room and money to play with glassworks...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
NTD: The bow is 66" total 64" ntn.  Doesn't help that I'm not a big guy and I'm angling toward the camera.

Hova: great thing about this bow... it's an all boo/wood glue up.  No glass involved.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Finished out the bow.  I added wool knitting yarn silencers.  An old Thrift store leather jacket made the rest and a couple of coats of gloss to protect it.  She shoots like a dream.  

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
hey goose, in that first full draw pic. tell me about that chandelier. are those real sheds?
                                         don

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Yes they are real sheds. I believe they are mule deer and they are in my parent's house.  They bought them around 10 years ago.  Couldn't tell ya much more other than my father knew a guy that made it.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
nice. your bow turned out awesome. i've been waiting for the finished pics. you did a nice job.
                                            don

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Good lookin' bow, Goose. Also, a nice rack in the boat in one of the earlier pics.  How's the pyramid bow coming along for your sidekick?
Stan

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
So I finished up the bow and the recipient "uncle Ronnie" received it last night.  Love it when a plan comes together.  While he isn't a blood relative he is the closest person my dad has to a brother so close enough to call him uncle.  He had no clue that he would get a present like this for Christmas and his face lit up when he saw his name written on the bow.  Got to love the Christmas season where giving a present means so much more than getting one.  Thought you all would enjoy.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
the smiles say it all
Merry Christmas

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
The smile does say it all.

Users currently browsing this topic: