Author Topic: warf advice...  (Read 330 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
warf advice...
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
ok , i was messin around on google looking for a conversion for a compound to trad bow , and came across some warf conversions. lots of things say that a fred bear whitetail hunter isnt a good candidate.

i have one sitting around that my old man gave me , and it just needs too much little stuff for me to mess with it , and i dont really dig the wheelie bow..

so my question is , it looks like the limbs are already wood , and they just slide into a little slot that has a sort of lip on the limb , and it just stays there like that.

what is the possibility of making hickory limbs for it , and actually having it work. anyone do this warf stuff here?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: warf advice...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Hov,
I have not seen much on warf bows here but the fellas down under seem to like them. If this site does not come thru try these guys.
 http://www.ozbow.net/
Merry Christmas,
Kelly

Offline JonW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I have not actually done the conversion, but I have an older model Martin recurve takedown that Martin produced from one of their compound risers. It is called the Lynx model. It appears to be a really easy conversion.

Offline slider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Look over on tradtalk, seems like most everyone over there has a warf (inlcuding me recently). There are lots of posts about which risers are "warfable" due to pocket dimensions and angle.

I just finished this one out of an old Proline compound:

Riser: I took off the ugly plastic handle, sanded down all the hard corners and built up a radiused shelf using JB weld. Then I painted it with spray on bedliner and expoxied a piece of red oak on the handle area.

Strung (with TT longbow limbs):

Some might argue it isn't trad and I don't want to start that debate, just sharing some info.

I would love to build a beautiful wooden bow and hopefully will one day, but this was a good start.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Looks good, Slider. Are the limbs laminated?
That's a sharp lookin' bow.
Stan

Offline slider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Yes, they're the wood/glass laminate limbs.

They are 35# but on my riser they draw about 44# @ 28". Another thing you have to watch out for on warfs, limb pocket angle and riser lengths, etc can be diff from model to model and can change draw weight for the same limbs.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
Hmmmmmm I like my old pse just the way it is for now.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
yeah i have been looking into it , and  warf is for use with the ILF limbs which is what i dont want.

basically im going to strip the bear rise i have and make a nice target bow for myself. probably just get some hickory and go to town on it. i doubt im going to mess withh takedown , but i guess we'll see. i havent even torn the bow apart yet , i was just hoping someone here didnt accept that it "cant" be done or "isnt worth it" ...

tr-talk annd ozbow both seem to be strictly ilf. you say whitetail hunter and youre pretty much on the poo-list...

i absolutely LOVE that proline. thats sort of what i was thinking. were those ILF limbs or just homemade ?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©