Author Topic: Selfbow layout?  (Read 291 times)

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Selfbow layout?
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I have an osage stave I am starting to layout for a bow. Is there a basic formula for a layout for osage? I would like it end up at 62"-64"ntn and a hunting weight of 50#-60#. What should I shoot for as far as limb thickness at the fades and out to nocks? I think 1 1/2" wide at the fades with 1 1/4" wide handle is what I'm going to do.  Any help is appreciated. This is a nice piece of wood. Just want to do it justice.
Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow layout?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Your length and width should work fine for the weight you are shooting for. You may need to narrow the width if the thickness looks like it is getting too thin. I never measure thickness but remove wood until I get the bend and weight I want. I also let the stave determing what the profile and tiller should be. I try not to have a preconceived design going into building a bow but let the stave tell me what it wants to be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Gotcha Pat! I like that idea of letting the wood determine the thickness as you tiller it. I have only made a FG recurve before..this selfbow thing is really different! Lots of fun...especially with some guidance.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Pat should I carry the 1.5" from the fades out for 12" and then taper to the nocks?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Like I said in our PM, you don't have to go that far out the limb before tapering especially at
1 1/2" wide and with osage. You will probably have to tiller from the sides a bit if you find the limbs getting too thin. Out 4" to 6" or even a straight taper from the fades is plenty with osage. Whitewoods are different. With them going out a ways before tapering helps relieve the stresses in the limbs with wood that isn't as strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Tried my hand at chasing a ring on this stave. I violated the ring and had to go down to another one. But once I got the hang of what to look for it was actually fun! It was cool to remove the stringy fiberous wood and then the crunchy layer to reveal that smooth new ring!!!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Pats right you can go by measurments, remember wood is wood. Your not glueing up a composit bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©