Author Topic: Tru Oil worked (PICS)  (Read 485 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru Oil worked (PICS)
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I have always had good luck with any Minwax product I have used.....correctly. For the heck of it I thought I would try Deft. Bad idea, that stuff would not dry after 48 plus hours near our gas fireplace, furnace registar, or anywhere else I tried. I ended up fighting it off the bow and Im going back to Minwax products and not looking back! Cocobolo wood, black glass, plenty warm, plenty dry surroundings. This was not my first time can spraying a bow, it was my first time without Minwax at hand.

P.S. Chuck I remember what you said, but Im a hard headed German guy and had to spray it myself. You can smack me next time Im around!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru Oil worked (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
yep, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I should have known better. I have played the finish game with arrows in the past and learned the hard way. So I do it again with a bow this time! Some kids just never learn.......

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
if youre in a pinch , tru oil is just lovely. i love the smell of it , and so does the mother-in-law. says it reminds her of her dad "waxing" his gun stock...go figure.

i have some minwax polyshades upstairs , and may look into some minwax fast-dry poly when the weather is nicer and i can do it outside , but so far that tru-oil is the bee's knees...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Pearl,Min-wax products aren't going to dry on
Cocobolo either.  You need some type of conversion laquer (Thunderbird quick drying Poly, goes on as a laquer and converts to a poly) or if you have your own spray equipment the best thing is a 2 part catylized varnish.

You can also use super glue as a sealer and put either Deft or Mini wax over it.

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I thought Deft was one of those fool proof dry anywhere finishes???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
I have Tru Oil. I was told to try a coat of that first, then spray poly over it. For the record; the Deft did'nt dry on my glass either. I have sprayed zebra, walnut, rosewood and maple with no issues using Minwax.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I used 025 cocobolo veneers on my first build..I didnt seal the limb edges and 2 weeks later I still had tacky limb edges..I had to sand edges down and seal with thin superglue before the MinWax Spar Urethane would dry...since then I have always sealed any rosewood or oily woods with the thin superglue...I understand that tru oil will not dry over cocobolo either,unless you seal it first..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I tried wiping the wood down with Acetone over and over until my rag showed no more orange colored oil on it. So far so good, the first coat of Tru Oil looks and feels great! If I can get the first coat to harden I should be in good shape. The grain just explodes with color when the Tru Oil hits it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
The Tru Oil worked perfectly, I am on coat 3 as I type. I used a half can of Acetone wiping the oil from the wood until my rag had very little orange smear. Then I immediately rubbed my first coat of Tru Oil on and it dried in 2-3 hours per label, the grain exploded with color and detail as well! So far the results are great and I love my first Tru Oil use. Takes SOME of the fear out off finishing coco, bacote or Ipe for me.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
yeah even my white oak really popped with the tru oil. it looked really silly with the minwax polyshades i did on a test piece. bombay mahogany was just too red.

lets see some pics...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
You got to clean them oily woods with denatured alchohol or something stout and remove as much oil as possible when using any type of finish over it.

I to learned the hard way.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Im done! I got this bow blank from Two Tracks Charlie a few weeks ago. Its all coco with black glass and action boo core. It was interesting and  a learning experinece in finishing for certain. I am totally satisfied with my end product. The riser, tips and edges are all sealed with glossy Tru Oil. The limbs (glass only) is sealed in a very satin-y poly. The contrasting finish turned out just like I envisioned.
  http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m518/chrislovesjean/000_0070.jpg?t=1293674098.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Looks really good!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow.  I to have had problems getting finish to dry over oily woods.  Never tried the acetone wipe down, super glue has always worked great as a sealer.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
looks great

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Looks good.  I prefer tru oil to finish osage bows.

I use Deft to seal European mounts after they are white.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©