Author Topic: HBO question  (Read 242 times)

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
HBO question
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
When chosing osage for a hickory backed osage bow, how much attention do you have to pay to the way the grain on the osage runs?

When chosing the hickory, do you have to have good grain running like a board bow of oak?

I really like osage and my father-in-law has some osage boards he cut on his sawmill. Yes it is nice to have a father-in-law with a sawmill.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HBO question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
As long as you don't have drastic swirls or bad knots almost any osage will work for a backed bow. For hickory backings you want the same grain as you want for a hickory selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Couple things I've noticed about osage boards Wes. First, they're usually cut from large diameter logs, and you can get a lot a grain swirls as Pat mentioned. Another thing to look for is light and dark patches in the board. That's a good indication a grain deviation. Even using boards, you still want a good early/late wood ratio.

Just as long as you have nice straight grain for hickory about any configuration will work. Hickory degrades rather easily and you won't know how it's condition until you put it to a test. So to save yourself some heartache down the road, take the time to do a bend/break test on some scrape hickory that you'll be using for your backing. Your test piece should take a great bend without completely breaking into, where as a bad piece will easily snap........Art

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Thanks a lt for your input. Would bamboo be better than hickory. Or is a totally different beast.
Sorry to ask so many questions, I am currently reading the TTB IV, as time allows. But being pretty new I do have a lot of questions, and tend to question every move I make at this point.
I am very thankful for people like you ( Pat, and Art. ) for sharing your knowledge and for your patience.
Thanks again, Wes.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Either boo or hickory will work fine. I prefer hickory because it is easier (less work) to do plus IMO it has a better chance of survival.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©