Author Topic: Hickory backed Beefwood Sister Bows  (Read 338 times)

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Hickory backed Beefwood Sister Bows
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

I made these two bows from a board i got off a deck while remodeling a womans house. One of em is 50# and the other is around 65#. The small one is a lot more fun to shoot. The 50# is an inch wide out to midlimb and then tapers to 5/16 tips. I had to make them skinnier than i like due to layin em out around screw holes. But they turned out pretty good.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory backed Beefwood Sister Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Who can pass up twins even if one is a little heaver than the other.  :)  they look great. What is Beefwood?

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
I think its a tropical wood kinda like ipe. It may be bloodwood. I dont really know.Its really dense wood though. It was so heavy I figured it would surely make a decent bow. Backed em just to be on the safe side.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
well it seems to have worked. How may arrows you put thru em so far.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
beef wood is actually bullet wood  or bolivn  redwood also goes by the name marsudda    dunno if i spelled it right  is  hard as heck i think a bit harder than ipe   it make s real fast bow  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
probably 200 on the small one and only 40-50 arrows onthe heavy one. They both have around an inch of set right after unstringing. I didnt glue in any reflex but probably should have. I just didnt know that much about the wood.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Well it looks great and if you have any more of it you can play around now you have a couple out of it.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
The tiller looks perfect and the bows are sharp.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
So are beefwood and bloodwood the same thing? Like i said i got it from a deck that the lady said she had built around 15 years ago. The wood was real gray from weathering i guess until i planed it down. Iwas kinda worried it wouldnt work being outside for that long.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
The tiller looks perfect and the bows are sharp.
x2
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
oakie  no  there not the same thing  it is relley massernduba  i checked the spelling again and  it is normally called brizlian redwood  it is just a tad harder then ipe is  i know it s hard as heck to cut on my table saw  but this stuff makes smokin fast bows  espically if ya get ur tip s down to like 1/4 blood wood  isnt near as hard as this stuff is  brock

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Thanks Brock. I really was just wantin to call em bloodwood cause I thought it sounded cooler. The first bow i attempted with it exploded during tillering. I had a ten inch handle glued on it and i think the limbs were just too narrow for all that stress. These are the first bows I hasve made in this style(ELB,bendy handle). I thought tillering would be easier on this style but it really wasnt. They do shoot very hard though.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
oakie  the few i have made  i  made em the same as  a  ipe  /boo  bow i had no plms  with it, im wanting to saw some thin lams  and try making a r / d style out of it iv got a bunch of it  man these boards are heavey  so i am fixing to mess around with it a bit  and see what can  be done with it, and  just exoermint a bit it s easey to find at local decking dealers  but  not cheap but from what im seeing so far  it  needs to be slender and thin  just like ipe    brock

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I wish I had some more of it to play with. Might try to get some at the local lumberyard. Have to admit it really was hard to work though. I made a hickory backed purpleheart bow for my son and that is the only other wood I've worked with that compares to this stuff in hardness.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©