3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is a 68" bow too long to hunt with ?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is a 68" bow too long to hunt with ?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
I've got to go a bit against the grain on this one guys.  Personally, I prefer a bow 66" or shorter, going with around 62-64 ideal for my tastes and draw length(27").  To me those extra 2" just seems too much and I find myself needing to trim too much in blinds and concentrate too much on snagging and knocking limbs through the thick brush and swamp that I hunt.  I like to be as stealthy as possible and this helps(I need all the help I can get!).  Also, when I do finally get a shot while still hunting it may be in thicker brush not allowing a longer bow to be drawn without hitting something. I can see why some guys prefer the longer limbs(stability, smoothness of draw, etc.), and if that works for them that's fine by me,  but give me a bit shorter bow and I'm a happy camper. Less wasted concentration lost on knocking limbs=more concentration on my shot process. Just my 2 cents! God bless, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
I have killed a lot of game with a 70 inch longbow and I hunt with a 68 inch.

I will note that it is harder to hunt with a long longbow; than a short bow. You find this out when your in a ground blind; and try to manuver for a shot; or if your in a treestand and try to make a shot.

Sit in a chair and try to draw back a 68 inch bow; it is harder to get to a complete draw without hitting your leg.

For stalking and still hunting it is not a factor in most cases. I like shooting my long longbows; and will 'stick' with them   :D
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
Nope 70" 21st Century.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
No. Shot my 68" out of a DB blind last fall. Missed the turkeys, but it wasn't because of the length of the bow   :knothead:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline RunningBear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
Nope here also!The small bows are great if you like them,but they seem to pinch my fingers too much!I have Viper 68" and Rudderbows English longbow of 72".You just have tobe careful of your surroundings.Brian.

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Nope!  I'm 5'7" and build all my selfbows to those specs.  I hunt out of stands and on the ground with 67" bows all the time.  I made a 74" selfbow for a 6'2" gentleman in MN.  He loves it!

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Yep, anything over 64" is too long for my taste. I shoot 60" and 62" bows and that's with a 30" draw. If I had a shorter draw I'd probley go shorter.

I just like the shorter bows.   :D  I feel more manuverable with them.

Mike  :campfire:

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
I just received my PLV Widow at 66in long,I absolutely love it!
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
thats all i own,and hunt with, i spend alot of time still hunting and you learn to move thru the woods like a huge rack buck whos horns are still growing, never had any problems shooting!when i'm up a tree, like everone,i clear limbs and such! go out and stump shoot in the types of areas you will hunt in and you'll see!! happy shooting and happy hunting!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Is 68 inches too long.  Definitely not, particularly for stalking and stillhunting from the ground.  My preference though is for 66 inches in a Hill.  Just seems to balance better for me.  Not much to worry about either way.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
It seems like I've shot them all from 54-66".  What am I shooting now?  A 66" Hill Owl, and loving it.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Yes - the correct answer is 66" (like my HH) - no more no less!  Hrmph! Hrmph! Hrmph!

Ok - I guess 68 is fine.

:-D

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm a sky scraper at 5ft8 LOL!! I had no problems with this 68 inch Mountaineer.

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
I'm 5' 10" and mostly use my Hill style bows 65 -70" to hunt with and mostly with my 68" of which I have several.  Have never found that to be a hinderance and when the longer shot presents itself am glad I have one of them.  Forgot to add, I hunt mostly from a short 3 legged stool sitting under mesquite bushes and love to shoot sitting with my bow horizontal. Can hardly remember when I've arrowed a deer standing.
IBEP Instructor

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by nyamazan:
Now I see them talking about 58"bows I'm thinking mine is too long to hunt with.  
No, yours is not too long to hunt with.  Especially if you shoot it well and it is functional in your hunting situations.  Personally I hunt with 58-60" bows but you should see where some of my stands and blinds are located.  I like the manueverability of the short bows but it is not always neccessary and sometimes I would be better served with a longer bow (increased accuracy).
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
there is hardly such thing as bow that is too long. Within reason of course.  Just keep it under eighty inches
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
68" is my favorite length to hunt with.  That is the exact height I need to balance my binocs on right at my eyes when standing.  66" I have to stoop a bit, 64, 62, 58, yikes I'd need to be halfway on my knees.....  :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
I have a 68" Belcher Longhorn hybrid longbow. I love it's smooth draw with my 30" draw length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline nyamazan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
Some very reassuring answers, seems like it's a case of addapting to the situation, and learning to shoot at all angles of cant.
Thanks guys.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Quillian's Gull was 72", and all of his bows were made for hunting. I've use a 68" Longhunter for most of my hunting years. Lately I've used a 64, and I can't tell much difference in handling.

I think that the width of my bow is more important that length when going through the woods. I'll use a long bow, but I won't put a bow quiver on it. My arrows are out of the way, down my back.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©