Author Topic: string stretch  (Read 663 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
string stretch
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
any body have a "sort of accurate" percentage, that B50 would strtch so that i know how long to make the initial string.
i use 12 strands on my 50 to 60# bows, up to now have used a bowyers hitch on the bottom of an endless loop string.
but would like to try a double ended string now.
i know twisting will tweak it, but will certianally not take up enough to compensate for the stretch.
regards
thanks
wayne.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string stretch
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Wayne, I would use 14 strand on 50 to 60 pounds, but that's just me:) Far as the stretch goes, I'll bet a good 1 1/4 inches. Making strings is fun and after a couple you will know how long to make em.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
b50 about 4%

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
thanks Roy and Kelly

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
how would you do an endless string with a bowyers knot?!?!

i make my strings about an inch shorter than i need ,then twist to raise brace height where i need it. i use flemish strings with one end served into an endless style loop...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
lay out the twine, build the top loop.
braid the bottom (approx 10")with either a three braid or a four braid, then tie your timber hitch/bowyers knot onto the bottom nock, in the braided section.
wayne

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Wayne I don't follow either. Are you maybe using a flemish type? On the endless you'd have to cut the ends to braid.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Once you have made your first loop and are ready to make your second hook the initial loop over a nail or peg and measure out to 1 1/4" SHORTER than what you want your string to end up and make your second loop. The string will be too short on the bow but if you compress it down it will elongate and be just about right. Yeah there are a few more tricks and a little more info I could supply but this should put you in your sweet spot and your string will need very little twisting.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Fuji- Wayne, if what I understand, you want to know what a double loop, Endless string, needs to measure, after building, short of the actual, finished stretched, shot in, length?

On endless strings of Dacron, I usually make mine about 3/8" short of the needed length.

For Flemish, I like them about an inch short on average weigth hunting bows! I don't like alot of twist in my strings, either!

That should get you pretty close, you may have to adjust alittle, do to your equipment.  

If you have anymore ?'s, pm me, be glad to help.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
i been using flemish really twisted. i been pondering a simple jig for enless strings , but i havent made the jump to actually doing it yet.

i still dont quite understand how you go from low twist like in an endless , to a braid holding up.

can i get a pic?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
when I make endless or flemish..before I put my serving..I use my stretcher and use 300# of tension to stretch my strings for 30 minutes and let relax for couple hours and Im within 1/4" of my desired length..Im one of those guys who like less twist in my strings..you need to experiment when you make your strings..with Dacron I have got 2" of stretch and using HP strings..I have got 1" of stretch..you can make a stretcher real easy with minumum tools and some hardware/spring /winch and scale..you dont have to use all but a real good stretcher..I combine all
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Razorbak, your endless strings stretch 2"?

You don't need the stretching equipment! I have and do, but youcan do just fine, by putting on the bow, drawing, shooting, and leave strung overnight to get the desired stretch!

If your in the business, it's good for quality and convience for the customer!

Hova, check out the how-to forum, Rob DiStephano has a vid for endless jig, and building also!

It can be as simple as a few nails in a board, and a serving tool! As for an adjustable, endless string, with timber, bowyer loop, just serve one loop, cut the  strands at the other post. Then tie a knot, to hold them together and make your timber hitch, lower loop! Adjust for the brace height need!

Personally, just do a Flemish loop for this. Awhole lot quicker, and just as effective!

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Hi Frank
no Im not in the business anymore but when I was using dacron years ago..I experiance alot of stretch and thru time it was stretching alot still..so I researched and found if I use a stretcher..I would eliminate 95% of the stretching if not all and so I started to use a stretcher.
And using my jig with 300# + of tension, I have recorded up to 2" of stretch with a flemish and 1 1/2" with endless and even less with a HP string material..every material I have used has a different stretch property...when I get a new material to make a string, I make 2 dummy strings and record the stretch and measurements and adjust from there..since I been doing that my strings come up to dead on or within 1/4" of what I need, which could be twisted and untwisted to get the final length. I have done the twist up a string and wax let set overnight routine but was never completely satisfied with it so I decided to stretch...but in all honesty, I have not touch a dacron string material in 6 years so I dont know if its better or not..just not my cup of tea and I agree, Rob has some good info in the how-to forum and also correct..you can make it simple or hard..it all depends what you want
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
yup, to braid the bottom, you need to cut the end loops-
oops! no longer an endless string!!!
then braid the required distance, starting with a loose braid, getting progressivly tighter as you go- co-inciding the nice tight braid just about where the timber hitch is going to be.
then tie a very tight overhand knot in the end, and leave about 1/2' of loose ends so the knot does not undo- when the string is shot in, the knot can be re-tied short , and trimmed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©