Author Topic: truly blessed  (Read 594 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
truly blessed
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I am truly blessed. Not only do I get to work at a job that I truly enjoy but Today I received an letter from Chris  AK SEMO_HUNTER. He was wanting me to be safe and shoot straight. I know we tradgangers are a throw back in time but this is ridiculous for the note was written on an Osage log 71" long and 5" wide at the narrow end. He also stated I should be able to get 2 bows out of her. I will be happy with one.
This on top of Don S sending me a draw knife.  I bought my first trad bow of the classifieds here so   would have something to shoot from Jeremy AKA fdlz58. I asked if he had any arrow spined for the bow I could buy also. He thru them in 9 wood arrows, plus a stringer and a copy of Traditional Bowhunter's HandBook.
This on top of the fact that there are countless other who offered to send tools but I graciously declined for I was getting ready to go back to the states for R&R.  I could not in good faith take these for I knew I was sent back what I had.
Then I get to help out in the 2011 bow swap. I know many of you think that it is I you need to thank for that but as many soldiers will tell you it is either feast or famine. You either are working your tail off are board out of your mind. Younger soldiers will watch movies and play video games to pass the time. I don't mind them but I like to keep busy and this is just the ticket.
Thanks to Chris, Jeremy, Don and many more for your kindness. Know that when I have a little more knowledge under me I will pay the kindness forward and backward to those who want to but need may need a boost in this adventure.  
I will post a pic later of the log and the tools I have just so you can help me use the right ones for the right job.
As always it is an honor to serve,
Kelly

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: truly blessed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing, and for your service, Kelly!

:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
So here are some pics of the tools books and stave.
Tools and books

Tools,books and stave

The letter

The narrow end

I will starte a thread on the build with this stave. I have a million question already and I whish not to take away from this threads intent to thank you my trad family.
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
I'm glad I could do it Kelly. It just so happens that I was in a position to help and Jeremy got the ball rolling, so I won't take credit for his idea.......I just supplied the Osage stave and took care of shipping the stave.

Then the good fellas with the Camp Cuervo project picked up the tab on the shipping.
Thanks goes out to Jon Stewart and John Vasos for their contribution on shipping to make this happen. It's amazing what can be done when we put our hearts and resources together collectively as one.

There are many great guys on Trad Gang that have done plenty to help me along and all they have ever asked from me is to pay it forward.
I have a long way to go toward paying it all back, but this is a start.
I'm sure you will turn that Osage stave into something real nice Kelly, and maybe it will help to pass the time while your over there in the sandbox.

I look forward to seeing your pics of your progress, your work area, and anything else you can post for us. I think I speak for everyone when I say "We love to see pics!"

Stay safe and enjoy the bow building.

Chris
aka SEMO_HUNTER
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I also wanted to add that you should get that sapwood off as soon as your able to. Even though it's been sealed it will eventually start to split. After the sapwood is removed and you get it down to the first ring you can reseal the back and leave it like that until you can get more time to finish it. Sorry I didn't have a chance to get that part done for you before I sent it.

Great pics and it looks like you got the bare necessities for building a nice bow or two!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Looks like you are good to go with tools and wood. Have fun making shavings. Thanks again for your work on the bow swap.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Surprise KellyG!  After watching your posts that you've been putting together, trying to build a bow from a piece of Iraqi wood, I had this urge to get you something you could use.  I have to give credit to SEMO_HUNTER.  I contacted him after seeing his ad for Osage staves for sale.  I contacted him and asked if he would be willing to donate a stave.  He said "Absolutely!"  I offered to pay the shipping and he contacted the men at Camp Cuervo.  Not only did they foot the bill for shipping but they threw in some tools as well.  I'm truely in their debt for taking this idea I had and making it happen.  Thanks to them and thanks to you Kelly for your time and sacrifice.  I truely hope that your time passes safely and uneventful.  I look forward to watching the progress of your build and do hope one day we can shoot together!  Stay safe and keep us posted!

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Well look at that! I ain't gonna lie I knew about it for a few days now. That ain't the only thing I know about   :dunno:  Guess you'll just have to wait with anticipation like the rest of us involved in the swap.

I will say that I couldn't just stand by and let you do all the work on the info part and not throw a little anticipation in there for you as well. LOL

Appreciate the help bud and thanks for serving our country.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Great job gentlemen. I've said it before and will say it again this is the reason I hang out with the "gang". It makes me happy to see this sort of stuff go on and inspires me to do my own little bit when I can.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Kelly G. Thank you for your service. And Semo-Hunter, fdlz58, Don S, and others involved. I'm glad to see the ways of old are continuing on. That's the way we do things around here, too. You see your neighbor needs help. You don't ask if he needs help, you get your tools and start working beside him. This is one of the great draws for me to the Trad Gang. You all are a part of what I thought to be a dying breed, but you keep it ongoing. Thanks again, and God Bless.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks again all for doing this and looking in on and reading the thread. I know when I read this kind of thread on here about others It puts a smile on my face and brightness my day. I hope it has done the same for you.  
Stiks glad you are back and How did the hunting go?
Kelly

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Well diserved gifts from very generous folks. Kelly, we are looking forward to watching you build your bow from "real" bow wood and not just something that might work. I salute you for your effort with the Iraqi wood. You may yet build a bow from it but I know you can build a bow(or 2) with that nice piece of osage.
  When you take the sapwood off seal the back. As dry as it is there we don't want to hear you whining about checks in your bow wood! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Yep....what PatB said.   :goldtooth:

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
congrats bud! this place is really like no other.

i had very similar experiences as well . i was hoping to do something for you , for your service and effort in the swap , but until money is a little looser , all i can do is say thanks.

Thanks a billion for both your dedication to our way of life , and to the swap. you deserve that stave and much more.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Pat B  I should have include you in the thanks also. My first ever attempt at a bow was a hickory stave I got after my fist deployment. A member offered me a stave when I got back but his puppy chewed it up, by the time I got home. He then contacted you and you sent me my first stave. That one split odd.  I still have it I split the back off and flattened it. I thought about boo on the back but another deployment and training in 07 stopped that.
I will try and seal it I will have to see if I have anything here  I did send myself titebondIII so I my just spread it across the back; if yall think that will work I will need to see what they have at the PX, if not. for now It is not dry it is the rainy season it could last till Feb. or stop today.
Hova it is I who wish  I could help you out more. When I get to the states I may just have to send you a osage stave after I cut some. I know where there are lots already down I just need to wade thru and cut some and split them.
I am going to start my tread now with my first inquiry there. If you have any input at all on sealing design or just want to say hi pop on over.
Thanks and it is an honor to server,
Kelly

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
Thank you for your service soldier. I remember lenghty deployments,they can get old,,Get your buddies involved,,,GI's armed with traditional bows??he he he,,LOOK OUT BAD GUYS !!!!!!!!     :archer:
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Kelly, any kind of laquer, varnish, polyurethane, ect. that was ever used to coat or finish wood will work. It doesn't have to be new stuff either. As long as it's still pliable enough to spread evenly on the stave, it doesn't matter if it takes 2 days to dry either.
I've got some old Helmsmann poly that I've been trying to use up and it's thick, dark, takes forever to dry but it works.

I wouldn't waste your TBIII and I don't think it's all that good as a sealer anyway. I've heard other guys say they used wood glue as a sealer and still got checking.

Surely they have some old varnish or something laying around over there somewhere? Even paint would be better than nothing at all, but I'd be afraid it would penetrate the wood and discolor it? Not sure, we need a few other old hands at this to step in here and offer a little advice.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
id say to get something to seal it , im sure you can find shellac over there. maybe not on base , but they should have  something.

paint will work fine as long as its not oil based. i used to do ornamental carving , and oil-based stuff is more like dye. try finding some latex or enamel paint. even some spray paint would work.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Thank you for your sacrifice and service Kelly    :clapper:  
Looking forward to seeing the progress!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©