Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11877 times)

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Semo,
If not I will fill with saw dust and glue. I have a little ways to go. I wanted to work that fist big ring just under the fat one. I may would have to measure the narrow end and see but I am sure I would ahve enough wood to to use the next or even the one under it also.
Thanks,
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Kelly, if that check is within the limb(not running off) it is only a cosmetic problem. The super glue should stop it from getting larger. If you get any more checks started you will need to seal the back again until you get the stave to floor tiller. By sealing the back the moisture goes out the belly and generally doesn't check there and if it does , unless it runs off, it will be no problem.
  Looking at the last pic of the back you appear to be taking out small "chunks" of wood as you go down the back. If you work down to the early ring with a draw knife and remove the early wood with a scraper you'll get a smoother surface on the to be back ring which will be more durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Thanks Pat,
I want know if the checks are a problem until I lay out the bow, got it. More are not coming in I just thank they are getting longer.
The pic with the check has a knot just to the left. That is part of the Island of wood around it and that is why it looks wavy. With the draw knif I get long curls of pretty yellow wood if I use bevel up, flip it bevel down and run it on the edge of a ring and it will lift up that that edge. I will get some pics of both if I can.
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
As long as the check isn't near an edge when you lay out the bow it should be no problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Ok just to make sure I am using the draw knife right. Here is the wood before I use the knife. I will start at the ratchet strap and on the right side . Pull the knife towards me with the bevel up ( the shiny edge). Also take not of the ring edges there is a small pin knit it that but way too much wood around it we will look at that in just a second.

See the little curl I hope that is what I want.

Since I was just starting on that ring of late growth it is a small shaving.  But here it is beside one I took off last night once you get thru the late stuff and can get a bite under it.

Same big splinter with back (of bow if it stayed on) all late wood.

and now the belly of the same splinter with early growth clinging on.

Now for bevel down. I am pushing towards a knot just hard enough to lift the edge  of the grain, I will do will move the knife left or right to lift up the whole edge as needed.  Then just brake them off by lifting the knife up, it brakes at the upper ring. I then I move to the one above it, and walk up the to the top. I DO NOT DO THE TOP MOST RING. You will just cut the knot right off before you know it. Dont ask how I know just trust me. You have to get out a smaller bald and scarp around the knot.
Here is the PIC of the bevel down going in to a edge of the ring.  I did have to back out once started and move just left or right to get the whole edge.  The splitters should only be an inch or so I am just trying to get rid of the island of wood I left around the knot .

It takes longer to explain and show than it really takes.
Thanks Kelly

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
lookin good kelly. you are at a point where i would be using a scraper to chase the ring.i think at this point, the draw knife is to agressive. if you have a spoke shave, i would remove the blade from it and use it as a scraper. its perfect for the jobits small but stoutand is perfect to work around pin knots. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
In the first and second pics I can see at least 4 rings layered into your cut. It looks like you may be shaving down multiple rings at the same time? You have to take each individual ring off one at a time until you get close to your target ring then scrape down to it. Work the entire length scraping down to your disired ring.

I found that the spoke shave works great for getting close to your target ring, and the depth of the blade can be set to take off as little as you want to. It's also really good at keeping the surface nice and smooth by working from side to side on the stave as you work your way slowly down the length of the stave.

When I'm using my spoke shave I can actually see the rings coming off one by one.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks Ruddy I will have to try useing the blade as a scrapper.

Semo,
I have be walking the rings up the stave so to speak. Since I use ratchet straps and on that box. I would have to move the stave a few time each pass. I work down a few rings on the end and walk them back. That way I only have to remove the straps a few time.
I had just bought that spoke shave just before come here and I think I need to get the blade sharpened up it only sits on the wood no matter how much it sticking out.

Thanks I will see once the rains stops and it warms up about building a wooden vise that I could clap/bolt to a table. That way on the next on I can run the lenght with each grain.

Thanks agian,
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I'm working my staves just about the same way Kelly, I use a rachet strap and a cam over type buckle strap to secure my staves.
The spoke shave will allow you to start at one end pushing away from you and work your way back to the strap. Then I turn it around and work the other direction still pushing away while I work my down to the other end of the stave.

I can see a video is in order here. I'll put something together for you to watch so you can see how well this spoke shave will work for you. It seems complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, get your blade depth set right, and get a feel for how to glide it along letting the tool do the work.....you will love it.
A video speaks so many words and is much easier to understand that trying to explain what I mean by typing it out.
I'll get that done today and send you some links to it.

I know you have one and with the few tools that you have at your disposal, the spoke shave is as valuable as the draw knife and doesn't work you nearly as hard. It also leaves a nice smooth surface on the stave when your done.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Semo,
Thanks that would be great.
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
I've never had luck with a spokeshave but I've never been tought the proper tuning and use of one either. With a draw knife I use it with the bevel down 90% of the time. If I'm hogging off bark and/or sapwood I use it bevel up but for finer work I have better control with the bevel down. To each his won. You will have to determine what works best for you, tool wise and method wise.
  Kelly, be careful prying up under rings that you don't tear the ring below it. Don't ask how I know that!  d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
i am not familiar with a spokeshave , but i sure do love my scraper. i use it more than most things.

and yeh ,watch pulling up on any wood....lool...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Kelly, get a pair of scissors and take them apart, they work great for a scrapper.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Pat thanks and if you are like me you know because you uhhhhh seen it in a movie once, yeah thats that ticket in a movie.

Hova once SEMO_HUNTER teaches me how to use it. I will show you what one is.

Ranger 3 I have heard the scissors thing before I am going to have to go and see if we have any that would not be missed for  a little while.

Thanks for the advise all I will try each as I can. For now I have a stave straped down and this is my shaving time. I need to get it down to that last ring above the one I am shooting for. If I do I will get pics up of the areas.
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Yeah, yeah, in a movie! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:

Kelly, be careful prying up under rings that you don't tear the ring below it. Don't ask how I know that!  d;^)
I think we have all been there a time or two?   :knothead:  

I'm converting the videos as I'm writing this and I'll put them together with Windows Movie Maker. Then after that it's uploaded to my Youtube Channel.
I may have a link for you as soon as tonight?
It won't be anything fancy, but just my little "How To" of using a spoke shave.
Since I've gotten used to it and know how to use it, it's now become a valuable tool in my arsenal of bow building. I have also found that after sapwood removal I can shave the back of the bow nearly down to the ring that I'm shooting for. Removing rings quick at first then slowing way down when I get close. Then the last little bit of soft brown wood I start to scrape until I'm there. There's less chance of gouging into your ring with the spoke shave than with a draw knife, but you also have to be mindful of knots. I don't worry so much about the pin knots until I'm on the ring I intend to keep, but if you hit a bigger knot just right you can still screw up your ring.
I have found that if I just work everything down, even the tops of the pin knots until I'm close to my targeted ring, then leave that ring up on the edges of the pin knots it works out real well for me. I haven't had any major problems doing that so far, but the edges are a different story. You have to either remove the knot entirely by going inside them, or go to the outside of them and leave them in. There is no in between on this step.

Don't ask me how I know that.   "[dntthnk]"

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks, SEMO I am looking foward to watching the the home movies.
Mean while
I removed a lot more wood, tonight. I will be finding a scraper tomorrow and bring it down to a ring. I maybe using the ring under the on I wanted. I don't know what happened but I was following a ring then a twist in the wood and I may be going down one more ring than I wanted. I want know for sure until I start follow the next. If is was two rings above I am good If I was one ring then I will be going one ring down.

Kelly

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I was/am the same with my spokeshave so I thought i might use the blade as a scrapper, as Ruddy suggested (I like a variety of scrapers handy), - when/if I get started again. However, your method with the spoke shave is just the opposite of how I was "trying" to use mine (and failed), so I'll be real interested in that video also. Nice of you - we all can use all the tricks (and various tools) available  - IMO. We never know when our favorite one won't do the trick for us, in some particular case, and we'll need to try something else.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Ok before lunch I had a couple of hours I scraped the last two ring off the ring I am chasing. Where I thought I screwed up I did but I only exposed the ring I wanted. Once I had chased it down to the part where I picked up two ring with the draw knife and cut them off about a 4-5" long piece and about 1/2 wide at its widest.
I thought I had somehow just got thru my ring and was going to have to go to the next.

I started scraping and got to the point and it was my ring not a make on it at that point.

Well once I get the rest of these two rings off I will get some PIC up for you to see.

tool report

Spoke shave blade good scraper for small areas, Size makes it hard to see the blade.

Draw knife will work as a scraper, I tried on area I was sure I was planning on cutting off. I think it may be a little more likely to take too much off if you get relaxed and drop your angel.

Hunting knife rounded blade near the point good for getting in small depressions and between saddles of close Pin knots.

Multi tool/pocket knife without a serrated blade,
Good for going around and over knots scraping or small tight areas.

Scissors well that is the best thing next to sliced bread. You put on some leather gloves and scrap, scrap and scrap a way. The longer blade can be flimsy if you are haveing to do fine work, but it really get the shaving pileing up. Get you a pair that have a screw and take it out now you have two.

Use all the above at about 90 degrees to the wood you are wishing to scrap.
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
I got the first video done on sharpening the spoke shave. The next video is in progress at the moment and will be uploaded shortly.
This will give you something to chew on until I get the next one finished and it will show the actual shaving of a stave process with the spoke shave.
It takes a long time to covert a video and then put it together in movie form, then some more time to wait for it to upload to youtube.
Please bear with me, I should have the next one ready in an hour or so.

Part 1-  
Part 2-  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©