Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11887 times)

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Kelly, drop down 1/2" below the other nocks and file in new nocks only on the sides. For temporary nocks straight across the side is OK. Round off all the edges around the nocks to protect the string.
  Everything outside of the string nock is inert and you can deal with it later when you shape the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Ok will do pat! Then do I get to start scraping.  :)

Vanillabear? I will have to try that one time. I think with a file and hand tool that I am just learning wiht it might be a little more advanced work. But I have a shed at the house when I get back than has one or two too many points on it.

Kelly

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
hey kelly do remember this stage of the 2 peice i builtthes sre pics of what your temp nocks should lool like at low brace/ first stringing.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
I sure do buddy, I just did not remember about the back issue. I thank Pat scolded me once before when I did it to a hickory stave, or maybe he told me before I did it but that was 5 yrs ago.
I will get it down. Thanks for the remider though.
Kelly

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
in the second pic do you see how the string tracks on the belly, i made marks where the sides of the loop came in contact with the belly. it made stringing it easier. as you tiller the tips will eventually become lighterwhen you are close to finish. as you increas the brace hieght through the tiller process the string will have less contact with the belly. ruddy

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
Yep and it makes, sense. Kelly

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Ok yesterday was one of those days when work just did not let you do the fun stuff. Oh well. Today after completing my work related task I was able to on the bow a little. I did not get a lot done. I did get the new temp nocks in and think I my tinker with and overlay that allows both sets to be use (Much later, and I may not).  I think it would be fun to pick on some wheelie guys and say mine is adjustable too LOL.
Ok here are the PIC of the new nocks. Twisted limb is up first

Knotty one

Now for a little scraping

Notice the little ribbons coming up I did ten more on the twisted limb than I did on the knotty one. I will continue that trend until I get the twisted limb bending similar to the twisted limb. I know if you never done this you will are think how many do I start with. Most say 10 to 20, and just don't rush it.
Ok relaxed on the tree the string is tight I just have it under a lip there.

ok some bend

I know the knotty limb fad needs some work and I need to skip that knot just past the fades. then scrap the rest of the limb. If I am wrong let me know. If you don't and this does not work out, and you say well is seen that pics ago. I will put Roy from PA on ya.  ;)
Now  for a close up of both limbs
twisted

Knotty

very little tension just enough to keep it on the tree.
Ok let me know where I need to be now.
Thanks,
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Kelly, have you floortillered so you can see each limb bend? This helps me determine whether I need to take wood off of one limb to get an even bend.
  You might be at a point where you need to adress the unevenness of the limbs. It will be hard to see good tiller with one limb with a natural bend and the other flat.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
ok now I get to make a fire and bend some wood.
I was waiting for that, but the weather here is not good. I have never seen it rain so much here.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
When you say make some fire you're not going to burn your first osage attempt are you?!  Keep it up.  Let us see what's going on!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Oh I have been pondering how to heat the limbs.
I have come up with a few Ideals
1) build a fire in one of the 55 gallon drum grills that someone made. I have plenty of wood to burn. Once I get some good flames close the lid and let it get hot and hold the stave over the grill or under which ever one seems to get hotter. I had thought about holding it over the smoke stack but I need to do the whole limb and once. Then swiftly strap it to a 4X4 with shims and/or blocks to get to the desired shape.

2) build fire and put a coffee, paint or some other can of water on to boil and find something to steam a limb in. the strap it to the 4x4 as above

All is on hold because I think I may have to stop and build an ark. If it does not stop raining. I live in a building affectionately known as the tinder box so I don't think a fire in that would be good. I would hate to lose my bow blank.
Thanks,
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Kelly is there not a heat gun in maintaince or a heat lamp in the mess hall?  If you use open fire wait until the flames burn down and use the radient heat from the coals. You should be able to bend(straighten) the wood across your knee or other padded round object. Hold for a few minutes then let it rest until it is cool. In your situation get it close and move on to tillering. No fancy recurves for you! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
i agree with mr pat. go with coals just like if you were using charcoal brickets, as a matter of fact i would suggest usng that , kingsford match lite  it will coal up in an hour and you're ready to start heating and bending. you could also rig up a simple reflex jib using some pvc pipe about 3" in diameter. a 2x6 about 6' long and some climbing rope. place 3 peices of pvc. 1 at the handle and 1 at mid limb on each limb. get you a pair of the asbestos gloves used to change out a hot 50 cal barrel and get the whole bo stave hot and put it onthe jig and tie the limb tips down until you get the desired reflex in the limbs. i think this would work in your situation. improvise addapt an overcome . right sgt oooorah. ruddy

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
I have asked around about heat guns so far no. Lin Seed oil but no heat gun.
I was not trying to get fancy I know I want have a lot of time I was just hopping toget that knoty limbe straight and the twisted limb  take out some of that twist.
I have a good length of 4X4 I was going to strap it down too. If it stops raining I will try sunday if not the next one. That will give me time to look a options on heat sources anyway.
Thank and God Bless,
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
The twist isn't critical. You can even tiller it out. Get the limbs even and straighten any latteral bend and start tillering.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Wilco

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
How's it going Kelly?  Hopefully you haven't floated away...

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Jeremy I am waiting until sunday that is the day when I know very little gets in the way of me and goofing off. Knock on wood. I would hate to get a good fire going and have to stop in the middle of straping the limb down. It is not raining as much but frost was not the ground the other morning. I can't complian about that since the wife and kids are in KS.
It is almost to much to go into my room in the evening and not pick up a scaper just to see them little yellow curls. O well if all goes as planned on sunday I should be full steam ahead.
Thanks,

Kelly

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
I completely understand about work getting in the way of fun.  Lookin' forward to seeing the progress.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©