Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11884 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Kelly if you got a regular bathroom scale you can make a tiller stick type of thing with a place to put your handle and a base on it. Kinda like a 2x2 about 36" long with a 4x4 thin base like 3/4 plywood or something.

Put some weight on your scale that you know is correct to see how much it's off. stick your tillering post deal on your scale and rest your bow in your cradle and pull it down to see what your weight is. Don't pull past your intended weight.

Hope I didn't confuse the crap out you. LOL

looks good so far. stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I'm jealous, you're in shorts and a t-shirt.  Of course, I', not sure I'd want to be where you are in order to wear them.  Looks like you have a tricky tillering job on your hands.  Good luck!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Kelly, 12" on the long string isn't a true draw length. Before you get to low brace you should measure tip movement and not draw length.
 She starting to bend a little but still looks stiff so I'd remove more wood, get the limbs bending more before any more heating.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Stiks nope I understand I have done it that way except I used the sting on the stick but now that I think about it that is a good way to cut a string.

oh come one over Jeremy the weather is great for now want be long and it will be 100 plus.
Ok pat I will get some more bending in the limbs,
I want to work on the twisted, and more towards the middle and out from what I am seeing. I think.
thanks all,
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Kelly looks like your getting there, don't be afraid to take off more wood. That left limb looks much thicker and stiffer than the right one. I know the angle of the twisted limb on the left can be decieving, but it appears quite a bit thicker to me?

BTW- I'd be glad to come over and give you a hand, but I doubt the service would take me with my health problems and they would either have to let me bring my own sniper outfit or set me up with a good one. Put me up in a tower or a tree somewhere and you all could just call me "The Guardian" or Zuess as in death from above.   :saywhat:  

Then you all could roam about freely with no worries.  :goldtooth:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Well I worked on it some more and that right limb is slow going. the pics I took look very close ot the ones above. I am taking wood off in about 10 scraps from mid to tip then 10 off the whole limb. It feels a little light but Not bending much more. did 3 more scraping sessions tonight.
I took some pice but they look just like the one above. I only do 3 at a time so I don't get impatient and take too much off. I think I can shorten the string a little more. I is tight now, but I think I will start the next session with this string then shorten it after the first set of scrapes. and see if I can brace it at a couple of inches.
Thanks for looking.
p.s Semo they don't shoot at us much here anymore. They like shooting at each other more.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
MY EYES! You weren't kiddin about those legs. Haha. It's looking good Kelly. Coming along nicely. Be careful and go slow. ( Not like your having a problem with slow. ) And please, get some sun before the next pics.  ;)    :biglaugh:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I think it's Sunday over there, isn't it?  Any more progress made my friend?  We'd all love to hear how it's going.

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Jeremy,
It is 2am sunday morning. I am on a night shift and am working 14 hour days right now. I have scaped on it a little and have it bending. A little more but is really is not much more than in the pics I have posted. I have taken on pic, but will try to remove wood off the twisted limb. It is still just a little stiffer than the knotty one. I think one or two more and they will be bending close to the same. The twist is causeing me problems running a gizmo up the limb.
I may try and brace it a couple of inches after my next session.
Well I guess that is all for now.
Thanks,
Kelly

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
2 A.M.?  Man, I don't miss those "watches".  Just thought I'd drop a line and bring you back up to the top.  I have to admit I'd put a stick on the back burner over getting some sleep!  Hang in there and good luck with your twisted limbs.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Well I got more done on it, and have shortend the string little more. I took some pic but my computer is not reconizing my card. It is not easy to string for it really just wants to twist. Once I fiqure out how to get the pics off my card  I will post the.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Kelly is your card locked?  There is a little slide on the top left of my cards that if it is locked it won't release the pics. Ther get worn out and loose and can lock when you slide it in the camera or card reader.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Nope not locked Pat. I can see them on my camera the computer is not reconizeing the card. I will have to find my USB cable and just pull them off that way. The camera has not internal memroy so I know they are on the card. I looked at them today.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Ok I these are the pic I promised. The first is on a taught string.

Now after a few scraps and on a shorter string.

Now for string tracking on the shorter string.
belly view

Side view

down the length

This string tracking will have to be fixed sooner or later but I want to get the same amount of limb tip movement on both limbs and I am not there. If you look close at the pics above; just above both tips you can see my pencil marks. That is where the tips started out at rest.
The twist in the limbs makes string very difficult because the whole thing just wants to twist as you put pressure on the string.
Well I will post more when I get a few more scraps done.
The next heating job I think I may try the exhaust of one of the big generators. It may be hot enough and if I can find a metal tube to put the bow in I may beable to heat more of it. Just brain storming on this.
Thanks for looking.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Boy that has got to be tough to work with. Especially not having anything to properly heat the bow with. A straight board and a heat gun would do wonders on the camber in the bow Kelly. I know, there's not much you can do with limited means over there. If you were at home I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for ya.

I think you've done well considering your trying to work without all the necessary tools for the job, otherwise you would have already been shooting it I'm sure.

I bet somebody has an old heat gun they aren't using that they could send ya?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Well semo thanks, and dont worry about a heat gun what did the ones that came be for us do. Plus every 220 is the power out here. I have some plans I mean the coals were working I was just useing something a little short. I am really in now hurry, if I get in one it will break and I know it so if it takes me the rest of my 6 months to get it were an arrow can be shot thru it that is ok.
Thanks again,
Kelly

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Any progress my friend?  Hang in there!

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
oh I have not touched it since my last post, I should be going back to and 9 hour shift in a week or so and that will free up time for other things besides sleep.
I have not given up, just 12 hour shifts plus 2 more durning the week to help out some soldiers to try and get ready for some testing, makes for long days and shavings has move down under sleep some how.
I be back at it before to long I have 6 months to get it done at least. lol

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
We'll be waiting and watching Kelly, get some R & R and hit it when you're ready.  Be Safe~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I completely understand and agree with the value of sleep.  Saw some logs instead of staves.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©