Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11874 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »
Kelly I would let her rehydrate foe a few days and work on the other bow to keep you occupied and your mind off the other one. That's what I have to do to keep from getting in a hurry. (I have a bad habit of that once it's bending good, LOL)

Otherwise it looks like your coming along great, especially with what you have available to work with.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Happy Birthday Kelly!  Did the mess serve up some cake?

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Yes the army served B day cake for the Army's Birthday. You had me for a second, I was like it is not my birth day. Then it hit me Army Birth day.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Like Kris said, let it sit a few days to hydrate and start the other stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Kelly, I just found this post and could not stop reading. You are doing an excellent job on your bow. I am new to bow building myself, 3 to date, and have learned a ton from your posts. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for your service. Hurry home so you can use your bow for its intended purpose.  Randy

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks pat I will let her sit til Monday but don't know here it starting to get dry so we shall see. I Hope to start shaping the other bow stave tomorrow.

Randy thanks, and this is only my third attempt, but I am glad you are learning from my fumbling around. Plus the insight of the more experienced bowyers that are helping out.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Ok I strung her up  and here is how the string is tracking. A lot of the twist is out of the limb also.
This is the string across the handle.

and from the end

So I guess now it is on with the show.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Good job, Kelly! My osage cracked and split near the top nock. Guess I'll just have to bask in the glow of your success for now.
  :thumbsup:  Stan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Kelly, tiller it!!!  You can get the rest of the twist(if you want to but not necessary) out and get the string straight down the middle while tillering. The stave will bend to the weaker side as you remove wood.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I have purchased all of my staves off of E-bay and I am getting them for about $20 each.  The last two I received were already down to the growth ring and polyed.  Do I just sand the poly off or chase another ring?  The kid's bow I just did came the same way, but I didn't like the job that was on the ring so I did it again anyway.

My next project is a stave that the seller said was cut a year ago.  It has been taken down to one ring and polyed.  I got it for $10.

Thanks,
Don
I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow and did go forth up into the top of the mountain and did obtain food for our families and they did humble themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks unto him. 1 Nephi 16

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: June 21, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Ooops.  Sent that to the wrong thread.
I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow and did go forth up into the top of the mountain and did obtain food for our families and they did humble themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks unto him. 1 Nephi 16

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks red hill.
Pat I got my marks from the gizmo I just need scrap them off. I am cutting back to 5 scraps at this point.
Don it is ok I have done that myself.

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
KellyG

You have some serious dedication.

Look back at the first few pics and then look at the newest pics.  Awesome work in diffcult circumstances.

va
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: June 24, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks VA but really I am not doing any more or less then some guys and gals on here. Heck I remember the hatchet bow contest they would do on here for MOJAM I believe. I just watched a youtube video were a guy would just leans the stave against a tree to draw knife it. Then he used fire as a heat source and two trees growing close together as the vise to straighten and untwist his limbs.

Ok I have her pulling to about 21" on the tree. Still looking stiff on the outer third of knotty or left limb. I pull it further in hand though, the tree makes me nervous. I bet I got it pulling 24" in hand, dont know what the weight is. We are in the process of closing down this part of the compound to turn it over to the Iraqis>. So thing are packed up, and the scale I was using is one of those things. I am sure it is over my target of 45#.

Ok some PICs here it is on the tree

And a the handle with the tape measure on it
right at 21" to the back.

Ok now for the questions
First one tips mine are wide right at a 1/2" should I go ahead and narrow them now?
Brace Height what is a good start point for a long bow?
Thanks for looking,
Kelly

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Usually a fistmele for your brace Kelly. A fistmele is the distance from the right side of your fist to the tip of you thumb sticking out. (if you measure with your right hand) Just make a fist and stick your thumb out and put your hand up to your bow string and your thumb at the belly side of the handle. When you got it braced that distance you got it braced at your fistmele.

You can narrow your tips now as well.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Lookin' better with each post, Kelly. Keep up the good work.
Stan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Looking good Kelly. Trust your eyes.  Sometime I will look at a bow through squinted eyes to eliminate the details so all you see is the bend.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: June 27, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Well I am still stiff on that limb, I need to find a scale tomorrow and just see where I am at. With the gizmo my lines are slowly creeping down that limb. I am very close to my draw weight it feels. I can pull it to my anchor and my arm holding the bow is almost fully extended. So I will bum the scale and just see if it is over weight like I think it is.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
The actual weight doesn't really matter unless you are making the bow for someone else. I do like to keep track of the draw weight at entervals as I'm tillering but I make it so it is comfortable for me to draw and shoot. My scale is off anyway at least 5# and maybe more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Yes, it is looking good.  :thumbsup:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©