Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11871 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Very impressive Kelly! I have to with Pat. Squint your eyes and see the arc. Step back a good 12-15 feet even (if you can mount your bow in front of you) and take a look at the whole bow, not just each limb. It also helps if you can to get someone to take a pic of your draw profile. I have found the tree can be a liar too. Ultimately we shoot from our hand, not a tree. The gizmo is an asset for sure, but I have found out the hard way (underweight bows) that it can also be a detriment if you rely on it solely.

Be proud brother it's looking sweet!

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Sorry Fellas I don't have any pics and really nothing new to show. I have just been scrapping away as time permits. Still feels a little heavy but the flat spot is still in that knotty limb but it is bending more. I also have it at a fist melee brace. I will try and get some images up sooner or later. Oh I also have mesured the tips and they as of now dont seem to have any set or string follow. I dont keep it drawn long just long enough to get the gizmo on it and see were I need to take wood off at. One limb has 2" for deflex and the other has 2.25" of deflex. It is just the shap of that stick for now.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
Scraped a little more. I have it at a fist melee height my  thumb barely touches the string .

Brace

Here on the tree at 22inches, I can draw it to 25" in hand. I had someone mark an arrow as  I drew it, then I measured it. It was dead on at 25" only 2 more to my draw length.

That knotty limb is still flat look. I also have to gotten any set yet. I lay it belly down on the floor and measure the tips and both sit around 2" and after pulling it a few times and putting it on the tree I measure it and it is sitting at around the same on both tips.
Well what are the suggestions, and comments,
Kelly

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: July 05, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Ok here is a full draw pic well it is about 25", I am shooting for 27". The flat spot is not as noticeable here.  It is the bottom limb that has it.

So how is this tease of a pic.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I think the difference is in the pics where it is on the tree, the twist makes it look flatter than it it really is. here the twist are away from the camera, I did take of some wood but not much only where the gizmo told me to.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
OMG you're left handed!?

:biglaugh:   It's lookin good bro!

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by KellyG:
I think the difference is in the pics where it is on the tree, the twist makes it look flatter than it it really is. here the twist are away from the camera, I did take of some wood but not much only where the gizmo told me to.
i agree. your full draw pic looks great. you've come a long way with that bow. i've been following your build from the start. you've had some really talented people to help guide you through. i never knew you were left handed. you should have mentioned it right away. the advice you have been getting is for a right handed bow.  :bigsmyl:    :clapper:  good work.  don

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by don s:

Originally posted by KellyG:
i agree. your full draw pic looks great. you've come a long way with that bow. i've been following your build from the start. you've had some really talented people to help guide you through. i never knew you were left handed. you should have mentioned it right away. the advice you have been getting is for a right handed bow.   :bigsmyl:      :clapper:   good work.  don [/b]
:laughing:    :laughing:

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Looks great, Kelly! Can't see a flat spot, myself.
Of course he's left-handed! Aren't all great people? LOL
Stan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
She looks very good Kelly.   The problem with a tillering tree is that it is static. When drawn by hand the hand compensates so that is the picture you want to see, the hand drawn pic. I'd say she is ready for full draw and about 100 arrows through her before you add the finish. In other words, I think she's done!!!   Congratulations on your first osage bow! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Well then,
I guess I will have to find a place to shoot her in. and the name "ugly duckling" why because if you see her she ain't pretty by no means. Plus there is a lot of character you cant see in the pics. The twist, knots, checks and just rough spots. One knot on the side is almost over hanging. But she is still a long way from finished. I have not done any handle work at all. the tips are massive, I do have a plan for them but lets shoot some arrows thru her and see.
thanks for all the help and support, from Jeremy and Semo who got me the stave, to pat and joe and the countless others with yalls sage advice.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
call it "OLD YELLER" two reasons, 1)it's yellow and 2) your gonna want to take that dog out somewhere and shoot it!  :bigsmyl:    don

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
don maybe if I make one that looks a little purdier.
I put 8 arrows thru her today, thru a bow I made. I was suprised there was no felt hand shock even with the extra mass on the tips. At 10yrds I could kill a deer with it now. I may do a little tip work on it but I am not messing with the handle yet. I need to ship it off soon to KS and once there I am sure it will suck in a little water and I may need to tiller it. Once that is done I will trim the handle down a little might add a rest but it shoot off the hand very well.
I will post pics of the first 2 arrows thru her later. Again thanks to all of you who made it possible. Don thanks for that draw knife, it will see a lot more wood if I can help it.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
All I can say is, "Go ARMY!"    :thumbsup:   You've adapted, improvised, and done it the hard way, yet you've produced a very fine looking bow.  Congrats, Kelly!  Please keep yourself safe over there, and Godspeed.  :)

Curt
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Alright Kelly!  I'm glad I could help out.  I felt your pain from your earlier posts trying to make a bow from some peice of Iraqi wood you found.  I'm glad this was able to come together and I hope it brought you joy while being deployed and away from the fam.  Can't wait to see some posted pics with a Kansas whitetail!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Kelly she looks real good.... Ha and like you said it's a very good felling flingin an arrow through one the first shot. Its hard to get that grin off your face.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
Here are the some pic of the first two arrow I shot thru it. I hit right of were I was aiming, but she group nice, 10 yards.

I twisted the string a little tighter and it is spitting the arrows out with out any wobble that I can see. I shot about 10 more arrows thru it today.
I am done with it for now. Once back state side I will finish it up, the reason is everything I have read indicates that once back in a higher humidity I may have to re-tiller her, and my even gain some weight. I mean the temp today is 113 with  5% RH. I bet KS has a higher RH.

Thanks again gang for all the wood, tools and knowledge to get it this far.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: July 08, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Those arrows look familiar...  Nice shooting!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Kelly, I think it looks real good too.

Maybe you could seal it with some goat fat or something before sending it to KS? Might help with your moisture concern?

Can't wait to see you finish it off back home....

Joe
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Love to see it with you at full draw with a desert back ground and you in battle dress. An awsome pic in my mind!!!

Thank you for your service Sir!  :notworthy:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©