Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11864 times)

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Pat it is ok they don't look that hard to build. I really appreciate what you have done so far. I like building this stuff when time permits and will build one sooner or later. I got you package last night by the way. I will watch the DVD tomorrow some time, and send it back shortly after.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Take your time with it Kelly. Learn to make strings then send it back. I've already watched it many times.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
For those who don't hit powow much or for those who just have not seen it. Here is the story of the bow and my first ever trad kill, and it was done with this bow.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110580

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: November 15, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Wow Kelly I missed it in Powow!!! Congrats in spades....  What a buck and with your "Osage Bow" and "Arrow", just plain doesn't get any better than that...

Super job  :)

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: November 15, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Awesome Kelly... Just Awesome... ^ 5 Roy

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Ok I took the bow in to work today; for people wanted to see the bow I took the deer with. I drew it back in the morning and well.

Good bye my friend, now where is my draw knife?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
W.T.F!!!!
so sorry man.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Sorry she blew, Kelly. Do you know where it gave out or why? You can learn a lot from a break. Study it and see what it tells you.
  I guess she gave you what you wanted but had no more to give.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
You made a sniper bow, yeah, that's it.  One shot, one kill.  Sorry to see this my friend.  Well, I know you shipped another stave home prior to leaving.  Now you'll have to start "Osage bow, round 2 (ding ding)".  You can still hunt.  I know you have another long bow to use...

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Geeze Kelly, that's a bummer Bud. But I'd hang her on the wall next to that fine Buck... And guess what Kelly, there will be more that explode:)

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: November 16, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
If I had bought that bow I would have cried but since I made it. I get to make another, yes it is heartbreaking.

Pat I have my thoughts on why. If you look at the longer piece it is almost a straight break across the back. That short piece sandwiches between the other.

I think as I was drawing it, I may have over drawn it a little and it would not have been much. Plus it has been really dry here. We got some rain but really dry for the most part. So I think the RH dropped.

When she failed she blew, know creaking or anything all of a sudden, I had a take down.

I have it in my storage shed with my first try bow. I have not really decided what I want to do with it. I may use parts of it in other bows, or glue it back up and hang it with the deer.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: November 17, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I don't know much, but that bow made you meat.  Deserving of some honorific rest of life, methinks.

Shame it let go though, never a fun time.

Waiting for version 2.0...
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: November 17, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
Aw! I hate to hear about the bow. Regardless, you have the memory for a lifetime. I bet your boy talks about it long after our generation is gone!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
The worst part of ALL of it is the fact you try to convince folks that wooden bows are very effective and durable, then you bring it in to show them and the sumgun breaks! That just sucks the most right there. You can always make another, but you may not be able to "re-convince" folks that they are a great weapon. Oh well......have fun whittling another out Kelly.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Sorry to see your bow like that Kelly. It has been fun watching the progression from complete newbie with that first stick in the desert, to this bow, your first deer and now the bows demise. I would glue it up and hang it with the deer and the arrow. Did you find the rest of the arrow.

On a slightly different note, how many had to change their pants after she blew. Bet it made a heck of a noise  :)
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: November 17, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
"A bow fully drawn is 9/10ths broke!" That last 1/10th is the killer!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Bummer man. At least you got the buck. Sorry for your loss.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Oh she gave so fast that everyone one was dumb founded, I just smiled and said now I get to make another one.

Pearl I think the buck proved that it is more then effective at what they were meant for. Everyone including me finds it really hard that I did it all like that. Funny I really don't know way though. It was done like that for thousands and thousands of years.

Next year God willing Stone or even bone points. I think I am going to try and tan part of his hide and make me a proper back quiver.  :)  Heck who knows maybe next year I may be hunting in buck skin.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Kelly, a Plains style quiver would be more appropriate for Kansas.
 My goal in archery is to get as simple as possible and still be effective. You have proved it can be done(my definition of primitive is making what you need with what you have). I have no doubt that your next year deer(s) will be with stone and/or bone.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: November 18, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
I keep all my busted bows and learn from them. Sometimes is a pin knot that I flattened instead of following the ring, sometimes over sanding the back ring, sometimes drawing past a point where I can see a tillering flaw - all fatal to bows. In your "full draw" pic it looks like you only have about 22 inches pulled. I know its hard to pull and take the picture with a timer, but I also under draw myself if not checking my anchor or the arrow on the shelf. Keep at it and congratulations on a beautiful Kansas buck! Good Hunting!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©