Author Topic: Osage first try (ding ding)  (Read 11872 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage first try (ding ding)
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Great Job Kelly!!
I think you did real good splitting that stave with what you had on hand, I'm impressed to say the least.
I personally would start on the bigger half which would be the one on the left in your pic.

Unless of course you want to do a practice run with the one on the right and save the good half for your intended perfect bow when you get more experience? That's a personal decision you will have to make and if you aren't comfortable in your skill level yet, by all means do a practice bow on the smaller stave on the right and save the other one for later. That might be the best option.

Don't worry though, even if they both turn out to be trash or you screw up because I've got plenty of Osage left and I'll just get you another one to work on.

The linseed oil would work fine I'm sure. You can also boil it to thicken it up to make a sort of Laquer out of, but I'm not familiar with the process of doing it the right way.

I'm sure somebody here has done that before with linseed oil and knows exactly how to work with it.

Once again........Great Job Kelly!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
boy oh boy your bettin to the meat of it now. good job on the split. dont stop now keep it comin kelly
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks all,
I will get the left one sealed tomorrow. I am still not sure it will be the easier of the too. The one on the rigt has less wood a flatter grain, just more of the little knots.

Jawge, I am limited on the tools I got a draw knife a spoke shave, a hunting knife, wood file, and a multi tool. Thanks for your link I have browsed it before but will have to refresh my memory on it.

Ruddy,
It is dark here so it is time to stop, step back and listen to the wood and see if it tells me where the bow is hiden. I have 9+ months and this and my long bow are what keep me out of trouble.
Pat and SEMO,
Thanks for the advise and encouragement.
Til my next updat,
Kelly

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Excellent split job, Kelly!  You are getting lots of good advice.  Just looking at the ends of the staves, I see a bit of "wave" in the end of the right (smaller) stave.  Be careful as you remove layers on that one.  The "waves" will need to be scraped down and into the wave so not to violate the outside edge of the layers.  Use the curved portion of your knife blade to work into the bottom of the wave as you scrape.  Hope that makes sense.  The tools you have will work just fine.
Waves are much more of a challenge but make awesome bows.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks Jim,
 there are lots of slight dips as I found out removing the sap wood. I am going for the first thick ring, all the other above are very thin. I will try to follow one of them just to practice.
Thanks agian,
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I think that's a good idea Kelly. Take it down below where it dips and find a good flat ring there to work with. Don't let the pin knots scare you too much. They won't hurt anything on the bow, just be sure not to cut through them. I found out the hard way that knots must be either left in the limb or completely removed, but never cut through the middle. After a little shooting a fret will start and eventually break at that spot.

You'll do fine, get em sealed and relax a little until you feel like working on it some more. You don't have to do it all right now just cause we are anxiously waiting.......lol
Go at your own pace and you will do a much better job than if your rushed on it. Sometimes I will walk away from a stave for a few days until I get the urge to start on it again. If you ever get frustrated at any point, just walk away from it cause that's usually when you make mistakes.

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
That is always sound advise about frustration.
For now I am on the other end I am chopping at the bit to remove wood, and force myself to walk away and come back in stages. I am hoping those knots will come off as I go deeper I have cut right thru most of them removing the sapt wood, I was finally able to figure it out and was able to build up the island you she in the pics.
Thanks,
Kelly

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Kelly, wish I had the experience to offer up some advice, but looks like you got some excellent mentors followin' along.  I'll just offer up encouragement and good wishes.  It's looking good to me. Keep at it.
Good luck,
Stan

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I use half of a pair of scissors to work around pin knots.  I take the point and kind of gently push/wedge the wood that I want to remove.  Take your time, it might take me an hour or more to go around one pin knot.  Good luck.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
That's a good idea, to walk away.....take a break and then come back later.
Frustration isn't the only thing that will make you screw up. I've been out in the garage till 1am before and so tired my eyes were getting heavy. Basically a zombie at the bow bench, but I wanted to reach a certain point before I quit for the night.
Then come back the next morning only to find that I had cut through the ring I wanted to keep!   :banghead:  

I ended up costing myself more work than if I had just stopped when I got tired.
Never drive the bow bench unless your well rested.   :biglaugh:  
Don't drive the bow bench drunk either!
I don't drink anymore so that's not a problem for me.   :)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
that split looks great. if i had two osage sticks , id go for the one with more crap in it. if i had 9mos like you , i would chase the thin rings to get used to the new style , then you know youre pin knots are good.

at that kind of a pace , you would have an awesome character bow.

call 'er lucky seven

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Lookin' great Sarge.  You should feel pretty good about yourself.  Accomplishing what you have with the tools you have.  Nice job.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Kelly, I use a hatchet, drawknife, surform, shavehooks (curved scraper will do), Swedish push knife as a scraper and 4 way rasp. I used to use an old meat cleaver as a scraper.  I have a sander but don't need to use it to get a bow. Elaborate tools like bandsaws are not needed for bows. Jawge

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I have to agree with Jawge. I have power tools but I like the romance of a good ol' hand tooled bow. when I do use Power tools it is very little and very rare on an osage stave. Draw knife, rasp, and scrapers and a little sandpaper. Throw in some good ol' elbow grease and you can get a bow in no time.

But you do need take your time,LOL

Looking good Kelly. Getting about time to shut the swap thread down and do some name drawing.   :bigsmyl:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanks all for the advise and kind words. I like the hand tools also.

Now here is the question on the knots. I take them down like an onion one ring at a time top ring on down like the rest of the bow right?
I mean I can stop and work on them as I go, down a few rings, stop and take the knots down.

They worry me the most as you can tell.
Thanks,
Kelly

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Yes, take them down a little at a time. That will help keep you from getting agrivated and just grind them down! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Kelly I usually go around knots and go back and get them later. Don't let'em make you nervous bud just go slow around them and if they are real small leave a ring over them. kinda like a covering of the upper ring over the knot.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
SSSStiks me nnnervous nnnevver.(gulp)

Ok got the twin sealed.

Now for knots.
Prep and tools (who needs a vise)

I am doing this know before I find out I am wrong. If I am right then I will hog off some wood to get to my ring  and you learn something.  If I am wrong the mentors here slap me around a little and then tell me how to fix it know and you learn something.

The first pic is of the knot in question you see another off to the left I am not worried it is on the side and I just one to focus on one. The  two knots form a saddle and that poses a problem itself.  You can also see a few layer of rings or grain.  We ain't making pretty cabinets or furniture so  want will make that pretty grain  go bye, bye.  I hope this is how.  

I went to the left (I am left handed it was easiest) then the right.  The layer of ring will make a foot ball shape and you just move closer and closer with the tip of a knife, scraper or corner of the draw knife (tried them all).  One layer at a time. As you can see in front heading toward the next knot  the splinter pile up. I come from the other knots back and they go bye, bye. This way I don't muscle  thru the knot. (what is that you thought I was not worried about that knot, for it was on the edge.  Please hold questions til the end.)

Ok the next two are of removing the side leaving the knot and the next ring, never go over the top always from the side. (don't ask  how I know, told you to hold your questions)

Now the next on just show the knot with a few more rings to go.  you can see them in the top of the Pic. (the 3 whitish lines)
Now I am down to the ring I wanted to be at for this test run.

See no whitish lines. If you could see it from the side that little guy stands up about a mm.
Ok now for something I think is going on. I have read about and be told about the chattering of the bladed going from early growth to late growth. I think I know what causes it. Imagine your blade is a car going on a nice smooth new road. you look off the side and see a monster game animal that gets your blood a pumping. Next thing you know that verum verum sound of the shoulder things designed to scare the living tar out of ya, bring you back from chasing that game animal, to the task of driving the car and getting off the shoulder. Well the noise is caused by vibrations of the tire on them things.
Late wood smooth, early wood not thus chattering.
OK now for the question and critics of my attempts. Please be honest  and I know there is more than one way to skin the cat. So please let me know what works for you so I and other may learn.
thanks,
Kelly

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
i always get chatter when either my angle is too steep , or im using a blade that flexes.

other people may have a different or better explanation. i make sure my stuff is sharp , and that im not pressing too hard...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
kelly , you need some propper tools bud. i have a set of cabinet scrapers a 4 way rasp a cheaper versin of a nicholson rough rasp and a fine flat rasp. and a peice of idustrial  band saw blade . that you can have as a rough scraper. send me your adress and i will send these to you. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©