Author Topic: BBH Question  (Read 445 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
BBH Question
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
So I ordered 3Rivers bamboo backed hickory bow kit today.  I'm looking for a 62-66" longbow.  I'd like 50-55 lbs when finished.  Any suggestions on the dimensions.  I don't have it in hand yet but would like to read your thoughts.  It has a pre-tapered Ipe center lamination as well.  Not sure if that matters.  Look forward to hearing your advice gents.  Thanks.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BBH Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Jeremy,

The people at 3 Rivers have a help dept and the tecs there are good. They can help you all the way with this bow. They know wood bows.

James..............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by fdlz58:
So I ordered 3Rivers bamboo backed hickory bow kit today.  I'm looking for a 62-66" longbow.  I'd like 50-55 lbs when finished.  Any suggestions on the dimensions.  I don't have it in hand yet but would like to read your thoughts.  It has a pre-tapered Ipe center lamination as well.  Not sure if that matters.  Look forward to hearing your advice gents.  Thanks.

-Jeremy   :coffee:  
Depends on the dimensions of the IPE IMO.  The IPE will have the most compression.  I have never made a hickory bellied bamboo backed,

but for your reference, my IPE/boo bow is 1.2" wide at the fades, and parellel for 6", then pyamids to 3/8" tips,  

I started with 5/8" IPE blank and thinned the Boo to less than 1/4" at the handle and 1/8" at the tips.  I prepared the belly of the IPE by going from 5/8" at the fades and used a jointer to go to 1/2" tips. This will easily make a 60-65lb bow.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
The tapered ipe sounds like a power lam that goes between the boo and hickory at the handle to help prevent the handle area from bending, which causes the handle riser to popping off.
  Is the kit a glue-up or is it up to you to glue it together? What are the dimensions of the components or the glue0up itself?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Well, you ever have buyers remorse?  I did.  Cancelled the order.  Sorry for starting the topic ahead of the game.  I just got to thinking about the buy and thought maybe it was the wrong time.  Maybe another time.  Thanks for the interest and help though guys.

P.S.  To try and answer questions:  It was a kit that needed to be glued and I'm not sure of the thickness of taper.  Not sure of the dimensions of the pieces other than 72" long.

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Hickory is not the best option for a boo back. I don't know why they sell them like that. I know folks have successful made boo backed hickory bows but they are experienced wood bow builders and these sets are for novists. I see it as only frustrating someone that is trying to learn how to build a wood bow. You would be better off going to Lowe's or Home Depot and buying a red oak board. It will cost you about a 10th or less for the red oak. There are a few sites posted here on TradGang with all the info you will need to build a bow from scratch.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks for reassuring my decision Pat B.  I have built a red oak board already and wanted to build another.  I wanted to try a different wood though.  I think I will get another piece though and see what comes out of it.  Maybe try some different things.  Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Find a specialty lumber company in your area and see what woods they might have. Hickory, hard(sugar) maple, elm, etc. Also if you live near an Amish community they have saw mills and are a good sourse of good quarter sawn lumber. You might even find osage or locust.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©