Author Topic: r/d belly taper  (Read 380 times)

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
r/d belly taper
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
i'm doing a r/d boo backed hickory. my boo is all prepped. i want to taper the hickory. my target weight is 45#-50#.  can someone tell me what my hickory thickness should be? from riser or fades to tips? i'm not asking for exact thickness'. just an idea that will make things easier at tiller time. less wood to take off. thanks.
                          don

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: r/d belly taper
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Hard to say. How long is your bow? How much nonworking handle you gonna have ? How wide is it going to be from fades to tips?

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
bow is 68" ntn, non bending riser, limbs are 1 1/4 the last 6" tapers to 1/2. top limb is 1" longer than bottom. i just want to bandsaw the taper in the hickory. get it prepped for the glue up. i don't need exact finish dimensions. just a ballpark for the taper for glueup.
                   don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Probably 5/8" to 3/8" will do it but that is just a guess. I always pretapered belly wood so I got a nice smooth even bend but never measured.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
thanks pat. thats what i'm looking for. just a starting point to do the glue up. getting the bow to bend even and smooth as much as i can before i even start tillering. thanks.
                                     don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©