Author Topic: Introduction/question  (Read 469 times)

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Introduction/question
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I have been lurking on this site for quite some time now. I was introduced to the site by Larry Surtees after some bow fishing trips on Chris' boat. Since that time I have been waiting patiently to have the time available to get started building some bows. To say that I am impressed by the craftsmanship on this site is the understatement of the century. So on to the questions, thanks to 4est trekker I have the idea in my head to start off building some board bows. My first question is what draw weight do those of you with kids think that a six year old girl could reasonably pull. The first bow I am building is going to be for me with the hopes that I can build a successful bow. In the chance that I have to come up with an alternative plan for the bow due to a lack of skills on my part, I hope that I can salvage it into something that my daughter can use.  I also have four nephews and another daughter that I plan on building bows for. My oldest daughter is going to get the first of the kids’ bows regardless of how the first one comes out. Another  question is after I figure out what the target draw weight is, how do I come up with the dimensions for the bow? The last question I have for the time being is when finishing a board bow is there any reason not to just paint the bow? The reason being is that I have quite a few leftover colors of paint from past wood working projects that I could potentially use for the kids bows. Sorry to be so long winded on my first post. Thanks for all of the great information and wonderful site.
Kris

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Introduction/question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
My son just turned 5 and he draws around 15-18# @ 18".
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Make a kids bow 51", 1" wide and 20#@20" and about any kids can shoot it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
There have been plenty of posts on here where bowyers painted their bows.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Kids'll scratch off the finish anyway.   :)  
Stan

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I do have a couple of more questions. If I am going to back a bow with paper, do I want to back it before I start to tiller? The other question I have is if I am planning to back the kids bows, how important is it to have a perfect grain on the board I am going to use? There is no way I would want to build a bow that could potentially hurt my children or my nephews,  I just did not know if a kids bow with a short draw length that is backed could potentially hurt someone. Thanks again for the help
Kris

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
With a paper backing you can back the bow anytime, before, during or after tillering.
  Check out George Tsoukalas' website. He has instructions on which boards make good bows and which don't.
  Even with kids bows it the grain is bad the bow can break. Especially with kids bows I think you want the best wood you can get.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks Pat

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Oh no now Pat is pushing George's page too! Ok I have to admit George has put some great info out there in one place. Just fun with ya George if you read this.
Kelly

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Well I finally finished up my daughters bow. I have to say that all in all I am pleased with how it turned out. I will post pictures of it later on tonight. The bow did wind up with quite a bit of set, which from what I have read is a common problem with oak board bows. Can one of you guys explain to me why set is a bad thing. I guess that i just don't understand what makes set bad. Thanks

Kris

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Set just robs the bow of a bit of speed. You don't get as much energy imparted to the arrow due to a lower early draw weight.

For some people speed is everything, but truth be known, a little set isn't really a problem and makes the bow smooth and easy to shoot.

Looking forward to those pictures!

CJ

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

Let me know what you guys think. I sure did have fun and it is true what i have read here, this will not be my last bow. Thanks for all the great information

Kris

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Looks good to me. Tiller looks great!

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Thanks okie64. I just realized after looking at the tiller pic that you can see the bow that I am have started in the background.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
looks Good, keep um comming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©