Author Topic: 2011 hill cane harvest  (Read 1404 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2011 hill cane harvest
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
PJ, I'm still studying and reserching the horn bow. I have the horn you gave me right where I can see them so they are on my mind a lot. I'm gonna build a Native American sinew/wood/horn bow sorta like the one James won BOM with last month on PA first to get the hang of the different processes involved in these bows. When I start the Asiatic horn bow I want to know what I'm doing! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
That's an ambitious project, Pat. Lots of luck with it. Doesn't surprise me that James did one (well) - or that you will tackle it either for that matter - LOL. I'm sure you will do well also, when you do it.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Here's a few pics of my first attempt at cane arrows. These don't by any means add up to the fine work done by Art or Pat but they did provide plenty of self satisfaction. I'm not sure of the species of cane but it's very plentiful here in eastern NC and makes a pretty decent arrow. I reenforced the tips by gluing a wooden dial inside the shaft. Been lucky enough not to break one of em yet. They are fletched with natural turkey feathers that a good friend of mine Don (batman) Batten put on the St. Judes auction and I was fortunate enough to have the winning bid.

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I glue a proper sized dowel in the tip of mine also, Paul, and in the nock end as well - sometimes just a wooden skewer, (inexpensive in packages from the food stores), works for that end (sometimes the other end too, if you're lucky). BTW, those are fine looking cane arrows, buddy. Many of us love cane arrows for our all wood/self bows. Seems like they just go well with them.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I used to glue in a dowel or skewer but don't anymore. For store bought glue on points I just taper the cane on a disc sander and I cut self nocks in just above a node. I do wrap self nocks with sinew. For stone or trade points I just cut into the cane like with hardwood shoors or cedars and wrap with sinew.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Pat, I'm making a half dozen for someone and I had straightened them before the holidays and left them in the garage. Two have unstraightened again. Do you think they will stay straighter if kept in a controlled climate? Or should I look for a couple of better shoots?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Bona, I would try to straighten them again. Once straightened and after they have completely cooled I like start at one end and re-heat the cane until it begins to turn color(not too much though) and work down the shaft turning it as you go. This tempers the cane and should help it to hold it's shape. Be careful while you temper. if any moisture in still in the cane it will come out of the far end and can scald you.
  After straightening again and after tempering lay the cane flat until it cools completely.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Hi Pat,
James's bows really are functional works of art without the price tag like Lucas and his work is top notch,his korean was the inspiration for me to try one and now i think I will have to try a native american style as well,I have enough horn after cutting out the strips for the asiatics to make a north american styledo you know the width of the limbs on his bow or the core thickness by any chance,If he calls you an ugly man tell him he ain't no work of art like his bows either,lmao.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
PJ, I shot that bow before it got all dolled up. Sweet little bow! Seems like it is about 1" wide, maybe a bit more.I have to get with James about the core and other dimensions. I have some longhorns from Oklahoma that I will use for the NA style bow.
  Oh and he knows I know he's ugly! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
LOL - he even knows he's ugly himself, down deep inside his mind. I keep telling him he doesn't rate a purtty little wife like his (he just agrees with me -     :D ).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks Pat!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi Pat,
I would not recomend using longhorn horns as i got some a while ago and found them worse than useless(too many spirals and the inner layers of the horn are not fused like the buff horn)If you cut the horn for the plates for your turkish bow,I think there might be enough material left for you to get enough horn for the american style.Atleast this is what i am doing with my leftover stuff.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks PJ. I did notice that some of these had "growth ring" seperation.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stikbow4148

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
kodiak,verry nice arrows,i like them old bear broadheads,iv'e used some of my old bear heads on some of my homemade arrows...
"when bows shoot faster than 300f.p.s it ain't called bowhunting no more.."FRED BEAR"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©