Author Topic: SOLID Carbon fiber limbs?  (Read 446 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
SOLID Carbon fiber limbs?
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Why not make a solid carbon fiber laminate limb(s)?
I've never heard of one.
Is it just the cost or is there more to it?

Thank you.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SOLID Carbon fiber limbs?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Don't know if it would work or not.  You could be the first, give it a try and let us know.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm sure someone has done it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
i demand proof...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
Isn't that kinda what the ACS bows does?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
They use a wood core..or bamboo

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I feel.. and I may be wrong.. that a full carbon limb might be to brittle.  I know dealing with other carbon items, there is some flex, but can be very brittle.

I think that is why they mix the carbon in with other materials.  Your adding strength, less weight, but keeping some flexability with the other materials.

Just my opinion.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Carbon is significantly heavier than fiberglass and wood. Though stiffer it's weight would make for poor performance. The cost would be prohibitive too. If you've ever shot one of the old all fiberglass bows you have an idea of how poor a bow all carbon would be.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
OK I understand now.

The farther from the center of the limb the more stress there is when the limb is bent.

Carbon fiber laminate is 2-3 times as dense as wood.
Having that dense CFL in the core ( not doing much work ) just weighs down the limb too much.

So, you need to build a limb with a light core and put the stiff and heavy CFL on in a thin layer as far from the center of the limb ( within reason) as you can.

A solid 3 layer CFL strip weighing 10oz will bend easier than say 2 layers of CFL sandwiching 1" of bubble wrap with the sandwich totaling 10oz.

Someone needs to invent a better core material and a lighter resin for the carbon fiber..

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
hope to it Zradix

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©