Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 50983 times)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this is where we are supposed to do buildalongs for the bow swap, so correct me if needed.  Ok Got it narrowed down to two staves. Decided to go ahead and start a rough out on this one to see how she looks.
 58" Juniper. As you can see in the first pic she is fairly clean for juniper.

The first pic looked to be fairly straight but as you can see in this second pic the heartwood centerline shows clearly some snakyness.

I used a marker to highlight the flow of the center. On these juniper staves it is often hard to follow the center from the back so I often aproach them from the belly side for the rough in.

As you can see from the next pic the overall center line is fairly good. but some definite character. I use the centerline as a guide for the first cut out and just stay a good strong inch to the sde of the line. Here is the first stage. Notice the the end shows that we are still very centered on or rings.  Juniper dose not split out very clean like osage or other bow woods so often a bandsaw following the heart is best.

look again at the back befor we started. It was hard to see the character from the back on this one. Often people will make a mistake of trying to cut a straight bow and end up with grain run off.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
looking good Keenan.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
never seen juniper before . what type is that?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
VERY NICE!!
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Your in the right spot Keenan. Keep it coming!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Looking good Keenan. I am paying special attention because I might have some juniper coming and looking forward to working it and following your suggestions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »
Nice stave Keenan... Really like your bench too!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Sorry I didn't get pics. up to this point but here is one after I put cherry backing my trade bow.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
nice ranger.do us proud!

do i see yeller wood b'hind that cherry?
-hov

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Dang this baby talk. I woke up yesterday morning to let the dog out, and the wife says "look on my dresser".

ok.

Pregnancy test. Two lines.

Damnit! Don't get me wrong, I WANT kids. We both do, but man, being unemployed for a couple years now with no love in sight here in MI, I'm nervous as all hell. Oh well, I told the wife this stuff is in God's hands, and if we're blessed with a child it was what was to be.

I have been racking my brain as to what materials to go with for this bow, and so far, it's come to red oak, ebony, and lignum vitae. I really don't like red oak anymore, but it's a great board I found, and I can't seem to find anymore of that cherry I liked so much. What sucks is I can't even start on the dang thing till i'm done renovating this house and we get moved in. Then I gotta set my shop (garage) up.

Man, I need a beverage!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Take a deep breath Fish it's all good and you got plenty of time. Heck your Baby will 2/3rds of the way here before the deadline   :D

If we waited until we could afford kids none of us would be here. I got three girls, talk about breaking the bank.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
fish congraulations     it ll all work out bro  enjoy   it s in god s hands  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
way to go fish. I'm with kris, I have three of my own and can't afford a single one of them. My last one came five days after I got laid off for a year. You'll make it. It just happens.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Congrats fish on the future kid.  You'll have some time to prepare.  I'm on the last 1/3 of the pregnancy (actually my wife is and I'm along for the ride) and I still don't completely know what I'm doing.  I just know that the baby might come out speaking Spanish the way she is craving Mexican food.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
thats funny  goose. when my wife was preg , we went to this place almost four times a week. the other three were usually pizza...lol..

and fish , it is what it is man . i am technically self employed , so trust me i know what you mean being nervous. if you ever get that mouth-watering , and your heart starts beating faster , you might want to get to a bucket. i was driving along aboout a week after we found out , and it just sort of hit me. not bad nerves , but just a complete unknown. i was happy and excited , but my body was in shock i think.

-hov

:ps i puked all over the car cause i had no clue what was happening...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
congrates fish heck in a few years you will have a hunting buddy, fishing buddy, and young bowyer. I think 99.99999999999%  of us who have kid just did not know, and was nervous as heck at some point. Let me tell you just pick up the bible (I an no good with verses or book) and find the verse about providing for the all the aniamel and birds of the field and you will feel better.

God Bless and Happy fathering,
Kelly

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
You guys are good peoples. It's much appreciated and also needs to be heard. Or read. Whatever, same difference. I took some deep breaths (always good advice Stiks) and had a couple coney dogs and well, I'm pretty excited for it now.

Hova, I know how you feel but nobody's puking in my truck bro. Things would perish.

Fellas with girls... I think that's the reason i'm nervous!

Now back to bow talk, cause that is rarely depressing. Anybody finish a bow yet?

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goose Gossett:
Congrats fish on the future kid.  You'll have some time to prepare.  I'm on the last 1/3 of the pregnancy (actually my wife is and I'm along for the ride) and I still don't completely know what I'm doing.  I just know that the baby might come out speaking Spanish the way she is craving Mexican food.
My wife craved mexican food too.  She wanted green chiles on everything  :biglaugh:  

Congrats on the expected arrival Fish.

Offline KochNE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »
Kelly...the one you're thinking of is Matthew 6:25-34.  One of my favorites.  Congratulations, Fish!

Talked to a buddy last weekend, & his dad farms south of here closer to the KS border. Lotsa yellow wood down there.  "Thistles" was how he described the attitude towards "hedge apple" trees.  Going out in the next week or two when we can coordinate some free time.  Just hafta make him a bow in exchange for as much wood as I want.

Gonna be interesting tryin to dry staves in a downtown apartment...
"As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."  Proverbs 27:17

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
congrats fish. i hope everything goes well for your wife and you. i had your same feelings about 8 months ago when my wife pulled that same stunt. the tile business hasen't been that great, but i just found out yesterday that i got hired on with a company that makes animal vaccines. finally a steady pay check. it has made the whole babies gonna be here in the next month or so thing go alot better. good luck finding a job, and again i hope all goes well with the pregnancy.

eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©