Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51620 times)

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1080 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Got my glue up in process right now, hopefully I will be tillering by the weekend.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1081 on: May 09, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
No yew Pat. A wise ol' feller told me to stick with what I was used to working. LOL  :D  

It will be an osage deflex/reflex, one knot near the handle goes all the way through and looks like the state of IN on the backnof the bow. I found it very fitting for the swap.

I am working on some yew that I got from Keenan and will have to build a successful yew bow before I do one for a swap. Blew up two and they say the third time is charm. We'll see.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1082 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Wow 4est. If your person doesn't like anything about that bow he/she can certainly forward it to me. I'll even pay shipping!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1083 on: May 09, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Was he sober Kris?   Looking forward to seeing what ya got going!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1084 on: May 10, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
He looked sober as fer as I could tell   :bigsmyl: .

I'm looking forward to the PA swap next year Pat. between the TG bow swap and PA surely I'll have a blast next year too.

This bow swap thing turned out to be pretty awsome I reckon. I wonder if we'll break 100 entries. I know I sure do owe Kelly bigtime. I know how much work it is keeping track of everybody's bows.

Hat's off to you Kelly!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1085 on: May 10, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Diddo, Kris.  Thanks to Kelly for his work in the bow swap, and more importantly for his work and sacrifice in serving our country.  I have nothing more to offer than my heartfelt thanks to him and all of our other service men and women past and present.     :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1086 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
x2.

has kel checked in lately?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1087 on: May 10, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
4est, I'll second that also....Dan

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1088 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Oh Kris,
Letting do it is thanks enough. I have enjoyed it and it gave me someting to do. Next I am looking foward to next year so I can join in the fun of building, and some of the admin stuff too.
Now lets see some bows. There is one I have not seen any PIC of yet.

Happy building,
Kelly

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1089 on: May 12, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Mine is in progress, taking pics just not ready to post them yet but soon.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1090 on: May 12, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Glued a hickory backing on my osage board stave last weekend.  The glue lines were awful so I had to seperate the two pieces.  Tried heating it in the hot box but the Titebond III didn't release.  Even after sitting in 180 degree temps.
Yester day I sanded the two pieces to get rid of the glue... Saturday I'll start over.
  :banghead:  
Stan

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1091 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
I'm having juniper Wows agian! I have been slowly shaping a juniper stave down and I came acrossed a hidden limb near one of the tips. I thought I could work around it . It just went through alot more of the limb than I thought leaving me with just a bunch of sap wood and no hope for a bow.  :mad:  

********* may end up with a board bow after all,I guess I will have to do the best I can.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1092 on: May 13, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I have been following though I havent started building yet. Should have the glass bow I am doing for a friend done this weekend (except for spraying) and then its on to this BBI.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1093 on: May 13, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Sigh, classes are finished and the first thing I do is ruin the glue up. I was having trouble getting a triple lam to glue up right, so I decided to break it into two parts.. Well when I glued up the belly and core I forgot to trim the core to the same profile and my tubes bowed the lam.  Gonna have to destroy the core to get back to where I need to be, made them too thin to be recoverable.  Hope everyone else is having better luck this week.

Adam

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1094 on: May 13, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
wow some funny mojo creepin around eh.

keep at it guys , you all know the saying.

i really  am going to get some pictures tomorrow. im starting a new job monday , and its going to take up a LOT of my time. its not a bad thing , but i want to at least get ** ** * * * ** ** ***** ** ** * * ** * *** ** **  *** * **  **  's bow roughed out and a little closer to floor tiller than its current status; skinned log...

The wife is off and so am i , so while the little one is down tomorrow im going to try to figure a way to work this damned thing. i have an old dresser , and i may try kelly's trick with the ratchet strap , but i'll have to find one.

i wont get paid for two weeks , but when i do , you better believe im going and getting a 2x12 and making a horse.

i cant wait to see what this ends up lookin like. i still havent seen kelly check in , has anyone heard from him lately?

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1095 on: May 13, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
plz delete.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
got out today and worked the collection a bit to see where it all stands.

arrows are on short order. the dowel arrows are holding up great , but the craft store fletching is kicking the bucket slowly. i came across some of what looks like goose , and i think i may still owe you money whoever sent them to me. i didnt even realize i had them , please pm me asap and i can get the money order moving to you shortly.

anyways , the collection includes:

Hickory Molle (iirc its hick) Swap Bow given by ken75. Its got a snake backing , and its done all black. it has a little bit of follow once its been shot a little , but it shoots like a dream. I made up a black b50 double flemish for it , served it with some really slick braid , and used part of the red that ken had on it , for a nocking point. i tried my best to tie one thats movable , but its not. heres a couple shots.

heres the molle. not sure what snakeskin , but shes pretty.

heres the group. probably 10 yards. the bottom right hit the nock thats broken now.

Natural Boo / hard maple / oak  r/d given to me out of the blue by a very generous member. along with a hickory backing i have been waiting for the perfect use for.pics...an group. its a thumper. i feel like the ork in lord of the rings.

then theres my old stickbow made from a white oak 1x2 and compared to the beauty of the others , this is  not too far from 1x2. im proud of it , and it is the most forgiving of all of them. i can shoot 3 under or split , and it can be drawn to 36" (and has been regularly) . i dont shoot it , but its 45# @ 29" (me stretching out) , 55# at 31" , and around 64 at 36. according to my 8.50 wally world scale. anyways , im jawflappin and this one doesnt even really matter to the swap...

heres the short range in the new house. i was standing up against my wife's work car...a couple strays , going to make a proper target and frame as soon as management approves the funding...

so thats my update for spring. i need to clean and store some things to optimize my space , cause i have to have the shop ready for automotive and other jobs. hard line air , 220/110amp  service with sub breaker all to come. i hate electrons.

worked on the osage a little bit ago , and im going to be going kind  of deep to get to a thicker ring , and its going to exhaust me...lol..

ill get some pics as soon as i get some logs from my in-laws to make into at least a base to put the osage onto... i gotta figure out a way to work it...

feels awesome to be making something with my hands again. anyone else enjoying the vitamin O?
-hov

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1097 on: May 15, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Sorry for my non-participation so far but, I still plan to meet the deadline.

I'll use this picture for my excuse as it identifies problems in my manipulation of draw knives and scrappers.

I am really concentrating on my rehab so I can get back to building again.

Good natural foods

Spring water

Exercise

And relaxation

One last round of therapy at the end of this month and I should be good to complete a bow in June for the trade on the 4th of July...
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1098 on: May 15, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Dang Joe sorry to see that, I'm guessing carpal tunnel syndrome? God speed and heal fast bro.
I was wondering about ya the other day and realized I hadn't seen Osagetree around these parts for a bit.

Beautiful pics, looks like someplace I could disappear into and never come back.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1099 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Well my swap bow is done, 66" BBO 58# @ 29.5.

Had to have my buddy pull her back.

VIDEO AT LINK BELOW.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©