Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 52011 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1360 on: June 12, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
"Driven by 100 forms of fear, self delusion and self pity..." is a quote from AA book. My mind will often wander into these realms and I worry about stuff like, "Will I get a good bow or even any bow from this trade?"

Here is my answer: I will get to make and give away a good hunting bow. That is my prize.

Possibly I will get someone's best effort in return, but that is not the point.

I'm with Keenan in his post above, "Let us not become weary in doing good..."

Make shavings with a light heart and a smile my brothers.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1361 on: June 12, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Good luckFish!                                          All anyone can ask is you try your best.I was involved in the bow swap last year.I felt it went great.Allmost everyone involved was posting,building and for the most part shipped on time.                                         I had mixed emotions on whether to get involved this year.Both due to my inexperience with building as well as the amount of people that signed up this time around.I had a feeling from the get go that we had so many wonderful bows swapped last year that a few people may sign up this time just to see what they could get without puting forth the effort to even try to build a bow.I hope my gut feeling was wrong.     I went into both last years swap  and this one building a bow as a gift not expecting anything in return.Im happy just to see someone shoot something I made.                                I guess what im trying to say is you have to go into somthing like this feeling like your sending somone a gift not making a trade.     All We can ask of anyone involved in this is please just give it your best effort. And if there are people who just signed up to get something for free every time they pick up that bow in the back of their mined they'll know how they got it.Sorry for the long post.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1362 on: June 12, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I have shared Fish n Chick's concerns.  I got my bow done real early.  I think it may have been the second delivered.  I posted a complete build along plus the "convert along" for my vertical edge sander conversion.  

I really felt like I was working in the dark with the inability to contact my recipient right up front.   I've participated in several bow exchanges and exchanged a number of bow builds for other kinds of archery related crafts.  I'm used to and much prefer to be able to contact and work with the person, showing them the three limb types and four riser types that make the variations in my bows and finding out what they'd like to try.  For my own part, I have some physical limitations and would have liked to be able to discuss them with whoever is working on mine.

I was also concerned with the size of this effort, actually hesitated to get involved because of that.   Sticks and Kelly have put tremendous effort into it, as, obviously, have the builders we've heard from.  I am in awe of the perseverance of the self bow builders!   I've followed along daily and gotten pretty familiar with what the regular contributors are up to, but there are a lot of folks we haven't heard from.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all concludes successfully.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1363 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by scottm:
    I guess what im trying to say is you have to go into somthing like this feeling like your sending somone a gift not making a trade.  
I can't tell you guys how much better it makes me feel to not be alone on this one. Ranger, there is in no way that my rant was directed to you brother, but maybe to 2% of the folks that signed up. Scott, and all my other friends who have chimed in, you're absolutely right. Semo, I appreciate the verse as well. It is right on.

Please keep in mind, since I have no idea who has me for the trade, i'm not concerned with what I get physically, for what I get spiritually from working in the shop is why I do it to begin with. I hope, in the end, that this passion is manifested into my bow. And the knowledge I have gained, well, to be perfectly honest would have been impossible without you all on this site. I visit one site daily, and it is this one.

If some folks don't send a bow, well it is what it is, and we will cross that bridge together. I absolutely commend Stiks and Kelly for the tremendous effort put forth in organizing this wonderful idea, and i'm grateful to have such inspiring individuals so eager to lend a hand, or a piece of advice, so close at hand.

This will be a tradition, I believe, many of us will look forward to year after year, and I know my commitment to the art of this craft, and my friends on this site, will never change.

Now let's build some bows!!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1364 on: June 12, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I understand yall concerns and hope it goes off with very little trouble. The reason is I took this role was so I could get in next year and show  I was willing to put forth and effort and give sticks a break and enjoy the full pleasure of the build. I am sure it will all work itself out in the wash. I have heard the nightmares of folks joining in just to get a free bow. Well we are a close community and many of you are on other sites as well. So welshers beware.
But I think it is all going to be ok. I have seen it go from not seeing anything from some to a full bow in one post.

I would like to see more PICs but that is just bored ole me talking. Now on with the builds  :)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1365 on: June 12, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Fish, I didn't take it personally.  No problem there.  I just figured there may be more people like me and that's why there is a lack of postings of bows ready to go.

I don't personally know anyone on this site but I really like the family atmosphere and think that most here feel that way too!  I'm an eternal optimist and expect the best out of everyone until they prove me wrong.  First one is on them and if I get taken a second time that's my fault.  :)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1366 on: June 12, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Crazy to be posting this right after talking about it , but I had a bow that I'm doing for the other trade on another site blow up at full draw just a few minutes ago. Well guess that why we dont get to "married" to the wood.Shame it had some very nice character and was tight grained yew. Back up stave on the bench.  :dunno:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1367 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm with Dick.  Finished my bow early.  Since then I have been sitting back watching others marinate the pot with pictures and stories of blowups.  I enjoyed building for if anything for the challenge to build an effective bow for another.  Loved the challenge and glad I was able to finish before my wife had our son.  All said I knew that I wouldn't have much time after our son was born and church camps this summer to finish a bow late.  I had to finish early.  As for what I will receive I'm looking for a bow that will shoot and has a great story.  I hope we all put forth our best effort towards the swap.  

If a bow breaks in the process all I can say is what my football coach used to tell me... "You can't make chicken salad without chicken crap."  

Thanks for y'all who are putting forth the effort!
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1368 on: June 12, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
I understand all the concerns and share a few of the same. My biggest fear is my recipient won't be happy. If he isn't, well I'll try harder on the next one. Or find one of you to help bail me out!

As far as pics of my trade bow, I've totally gone nuts when it comes to photobucket!!! Been trying to post some progress and just can't seem to manage things correctly.

At any rate, I have pretty much finished up my bow today. I've applied a handle wrap, twisted up a new flemish string, and shot about 4 dozen arrows through it this afternoon.  

The shooting wasn't great, but I was trying to shoot right handed.  I was doing well until my arm gave out.

I plan to shoot more throught the week and will ship as soon as possible. I do want to show this thing to a few friends before shipping.  It looks sharp even if I have to say so myself!
  :bigsmyl:  
Stan

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1369 on: June 12, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I definitely feel for you guys. i recieved not one but two bows in this swap from ken75. i think he mailed them a week after the swap started.

tg is not only a family , we are a community. if someone gets wronged , we will absolutely make things right. thats how it is here.

heres my update...
got down to one ring above (as of now) and checked the layout. im looking at 1" handle , 6" long , 2.5" long fades , 1.5" wide at the shoulder of the fade to 1/2" tips right now.

dont mind the dishes , i have one day off every two weeks and its been rough this week...

here is a little closer. i dont quite know how to lay it out. i was going to do the centerline gizmo , then measure off that , but the line is wiggly as a mofo. so should i mark it all out on straight paper then transfer the widths at increments along the line?

here is a closer look at my lines. my centerline tool is some drywall screws stuck into a scrap , and it was a little ... rough...

i wasnt 100% sure , so i split the line where it looked adequate , and followed the grain when the lines were a mess...i might start knifing down a little bit , but im going to hold off till i hear a little advice...

also , would it be a horrible idea to shape the profile , then go down the last layer , or should i just get down the whole log , then re-mark and go from there...

thanks guys , its coming along now....

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1370 on: June 12, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Some really nice bows being built. Well if my elbow would let me do something I woulda had mine out last week. It was about all I could do was get it drawn to maybe 25 inches..I tried shooting it the other day but after 3 shots I give up just as I release that quick drop in weight kills the tendon in my Elbow. Anyways a few pics

Those temps are pretty much the norm here in my shop the last several weeks. I guess I should add it's just under 13/4" at the fades and 64" NTN  and a bit over 50# at 27.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1371 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Nice, Olin, I like the profile and colors. Take care of the elbow.
Oh, yeah, noticed you weren't far from the water hose in your pic. Get cooled off?
  ;)  Stan

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1372 on: June 12, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Olin. ithink he has the hose hooked up to his pant leg, if it shoots as straight as that bow looks like it will,   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1373 on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Nice bow Olin.Love the profile and color.Take care of that elbow.And I thought ive ben hot.But ive never had to hook up a water hose to my pant leg.LOL!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1374 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Hey Stan, if you want someone to post those pictures for ya I'd be glad to. Just email them to me, my email address is in my profile. Just click my name above my avatar and click on my email address. It's really not a problem for me to do that for ya.

Sharp lookin bow Texan! :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1375 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
great looking bow. I feel your pain on the heat. It's been like that here lately too. Ours wasn't AS hot but still I didn't like it ! I really need to work on my stiching!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1376 on: June 12, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I didn't share some of the same concerns as Fish and others.  I sure hope some folks did not sign up with hopes of receiving a bow and never intending to build one.  If that is the case, then may karma rear it's ugly head and they miss the buck of a lifetime this fall with the bow they received.

I too had a recipient that doesn't post much, but after I sent him the bow I made, he posted right away about how much he liked it.  That is one of my favorite posts on Trad Gang and I still go back and re-read it every now and then.

I also built two bows for this swap.  I shortened the length that I typically build my longbows and made an educated guess at the stack thickness I would need and missed weight.  That bow became a present to my Dad for his birthday.  He'd been toying with the idea of getting into trad archery, and my mistake was the catylist to do so.  He is a very good hobbyist woodworker and is never satisfied with anything he builds, but he keeps telling me he now has the prettiest bow out there. (Gotta also thank kennym for the awesome lams.)  I know this bow will be a special bow for family.  Dad's already said it will go back to my son, who's 4 now, when he gets big enough for it.

So I shelled out a couple hundred bucks for supplies for these two bows, but it was worth it to make two people happy and to know my son will someday be shooting a special bow from grandpa.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1377 on: June 12, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I would doubt there were entries that actually just hoped to get an undeserved bow.   More likely are cases of purely human folk who entered in a burst of enthusiasm and good intentions, but...   We all know how those can burn out, life gets in the way, sometimes unavoidably, etc.    Hopefully, as has been stated, it will all work out beautifully.   If not, well, we're big boys and girls and we'll handle it.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1378 on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
unfortunately for me, I built my bow early on in the trade schedule, and now I'm wishing that I waited a bit because my bow building skills have improved since then, but what i made was the best to my ability at the time...

I just hope that whoever makes my bow enjoys making it and takes pride in their work. there isn't a whole lot more to ask.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1379 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies...I'm the worlds worst at not posting. I'm not real sure when I signed up but I know I've looked around on the forum for 3 or 4 years and thanks to everyone here I learned to build a bow. I haven't built that many bows maybe 15 or so and only have a couple left and the rest I give away. I've never even seen a self bow other than the ones I've built..I don't even know anyone that builds a bow but it's a fun hobby for sure. It still can't get over how much you can bend a piece a wood. Semo that is Fiebings leather die I used I think British Tan and Brown and it don't take much at all. Might sound crazy but I put the tan on first and let it dry then I put the brown on over it and kinda worked it in and it give it kind of a fire red look under the brown. I used my phone camera and the pics don't show the colors real well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©