Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 52008 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1380 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
I've been getting in on these bow trades on PA for a few years now and last year and this year here on TG. I finished my TG bow and mailed it off early. I just recently finished my PA trade bow and mailed it off. Now I can sit back and watch the meylay. d;^)
 I'm with Ranger44! I am an optimistic, trusting person also. It never crosses my mind that I might not get a bow in trade. I don't get in to these trades to get bows. I can build a bow! I do appreciate every bow I have recieved in trade. They are all in my collection. If someone can accept a bow knowing full well he doesn't intend to recipricate that's his problem and something he has to live with.
  My selfish reason for entering bow trades is to encourage folks that are interested in  archery to jump right in and get involved. These trades are the perfect opportunity to have some of the best bowyers around help you with your design and execution and these opportunities will get you doing your best. All I require(if that matters) is that you put your best effort into the bow you build for your recipient. There is another benefit to these trades...the community aspect. We make new friends that have similar interest, find folks that live relatively close by or at least get to see them once or twice a year at archery related events.
  Now that we are getting into "CRUNCH" time everyone that is still grinding away need to step back for a minute. Think about the bow you are building for your recipient and step by step, get her done. Don't get in a rush! Don't get agrivated! Don't try to make something you've never tried before, it's too late for that now. Make each scrape thoughtful, think about each process as it arises and execute it with authority. And when all is said and done be proud to sign your name and date to this creation of yours. You never know. Someone might find your bow at a flea market in 100 years and just think how cool that will be!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1381 on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
West texan that is a nice looking stick you made.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1382 on: June 13, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
I got "shafted" on my first ever bow swap over on archerytalk.  Wasn't fun, but I had to take it in stride and signed up again for the next year and received a great BBI that I still shoot.  This is my first on TG and I'm a bit ashamed at how long it is taking me but I'm almost there and should make the deadline.  

I too haven't seen any posts from my recipient since the signup and was a bit curious.  But he was involved last year and completed things so I'm hopeful.  I also hope he will enjoy the stick I'm bending for him.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1383 on: June 13, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
hova,
this is how i like to get an accurate profile on the snakey limbs.
find the centerline you want to follow on the stave, i like to do that visually, in good natural light, following a "grain line"- but on a SPLIT stave , one of those centering tools would work just as well too!
and then mark that centerline every inch.

i make a pattern, of the desired shape- with a centerline!
punch little holes down the centerline every inch.
this pattern with a ruler and craft knife only takes a few minutes.
then starting at the fade, i follow the centerline drawn on the bow, with the centerline on the pattern- which i can see through the little holes- and align the two centerlines, at the corresponding inch intervals, then i simply mark the stave either side of the hole- giving me the exact width- then move onto the next hole.
then smooth out your side lines on the stave afterwards.
one could do marks and holes every half inch if wanted. besides you only get one shot at it!!!!

NOTE: after drawing  the profile on the stave, i then make adjustments for knots, by adding extra space around them, extra space that the pattern would not have allowed for.

if this is a bit confusing let me know , and i will take more pictures, and do a step by step post- i sometimes get a bit carried away in my head - and things can get a little confusing for me, what with all the other voices in my head!    :)         :confused:    

but its super accurate for any shape, and quick and easy.
g'luck
wayne

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1384 on: June 13, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
oops sorry about the big image guys- just cant get good help nowdays. doggone wimin not doin what dey told!!!!!!

yup my good wife has to help me with all this techno stuff- being a bit of a techno peasant myself!!!
i will try and fix it if i can.
typing for me- looks a bit like lazy chickens scratchin' for corn in the dust on a hot day!!- slow, lethargic and confusing.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1385 on: June 13, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
Just to ease some concerns. I know several guys in the swap personally. I have hunted and shared camp with several of them. A couple just don't post much but are usually here on a daily basis.

Last year there was about 7 or 8 bows that where really late all of those fellers made good and had alot of remorse for being so late. Only one guy disapeared after he got a bow and he has not been back to Trad Gang that I know of. I do check periodically cause as far as I am concerned he still owes.

The whole reason behind the swap for me was to create a chance to get some of my work into the hands of others here who have helped and guided me along the way and also have a chance at adding a bow from the bench to my collection of sentiments. Most guys here don't and won't sell their bows so I figured what the heck. It gives all who enter a chance to give there best and recieve a part of someone else.

No two guys here build bows exactly the same so I figured maybe some one would like to have a bow like I build and give a bow like they build and enjoy someone elses effort.

It has been repeated several times in one way or another about what the spirit of the swap is. This year most everyone (myself included) wanted to push the envelope and build something they never attempted to please their recipient. That is all fine and has grown my skill and experience in alot of ways.

I agree with Pat for sure as it get's down to the wire. I have had three failed attempts (all under weight) and will most likely go to the ol' faithful standby of doing what I know works and doing what I do and that is just getting a good stick and making her bend nice.

I know there will some bows shipped late. Life happens. I do hope to get communication so I can let guys know not to worry, Matter of fact Kelly sent me a PM today that said one guy dropped out and needed kelly to pass on the message to his builder to send it to his recipient or he would forward it if it arrived at his home. No name will be mentioned as I feel he was honest and done the right thing. He said he was having some issues. I hope all works out and he is more than welcome next year.

I honestly think that all that signed up will come through with there best and that all signed up for the right reasons. My first post on this issue was just simply a reminder.

Now everybody calm down, take a deep breath..... and lets finish some bows!!!!!    :bigsmyl:

I do want to say thanks to Kelly for all the help and say thanks to all the guys and gal(Bona) who signed up and are involved that make this possible. It will be another great one I'm sure.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1386 on: June 13, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
Kris, it's good to see you on here as a moderator. You'll be good at it. BTW, what the heck happened to this page?!   :dunno:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1387 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
i know i haven't posted in a while. my tradebow will be ready to ship in a week and a few days. mr pat and stiks have seen my trade bow. they gave me a few pointers on tweeking it a little. thanxs  stiks for making a surprise visit to hickory. i know it was a long drive. i also beleive my trade bow is well shot in, i shot it in hickory competing in the ultimate archer. thanx mr pat for letting my use your ash arrows.  i think mr pat and stiks will agree that my recipient should be pleasantly surprised.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1388 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
sorry guys the screwed up page format is my pic that is toooo long i will take it down right now, and then try and repost the pic later this morning. sorry!!
wayne

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1389 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Hey Bona,
Glad to see you have a problem with the page too, thought my eyes were going funny on me.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1390 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Oops, seems to be fixed now.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1391 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Kris, Great to see ya as a moderator. I know you'll be a good one. Thanks again to you and Kelly both for all the work you have put into this and for your help to keep this forum going. I think the Bench is a great addition to the site.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1392 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm one that doesn't post that much, I read everyday on work breaks tho.  I guess I don't post much since I probably don't have any advise that Yal don't know, seein how just about everything I know has came from yal.  With that being said I finished my bow up yesterday.  Gotta make a string and post up some pics tonight and it'll be Wednesday before I can get to a post office to ship it.  This will be my 8th bow since the end of turkey season so iv been busy and ain't had time to play on the computer at night. Iv got 5 more to build in the next two months then it'll be time to start huntin again.  You fellas sure have made some fine bows up to this point!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1393 on: June 13, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Now see there! Rogers come out of the woods and proved my point exactly.

Thanks for the update rogers, looking forward to pics.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1394 on: June 13, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Everyone is turning out some great looking bows.

I hope to have mine shipped by Thursday. Here are some pics of the bow, i haven't seen my reciepent on here since the sign up, but then again i haven't been on much latley, myself........

Some natural reflux  

Braced  

This bow is from a Hickory sappling

Some spots the pith line still shows.

It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1395 on: June 13, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Hard to tell from the picture but it goes about 1/8" in on the belly side

Just unstrung

It's  it for a "south paw" 70" 55#@29 I hope it serves receipent well !!

Kelly i'll let you know when it ships for sure !

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1396 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Now that is a primitive bow and looks like a blast to shoot. Now where is taht full draw pic.
And let me know if you ship it formerbutcher

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1397 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
oops you posted as I was posting, and you were quicker.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1398 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Will do Kelly, and thanks for keeping an eye on this !

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1399 on: June 13, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Dang butcher that is freakin sweet!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©