Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 52009 times)

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1480 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
This was my first time doing a BBI and it looks like my bow is gonna be to light......

Back to the drawing board.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1481 on: June 18, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Tenbrook, add another thin lam to the belly. That will get you back up to weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1482 on: June 18, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Tenbrook,

My trade bow is a D/R osage selfbow. It came in light and I added an osage belly lam and it brought it back around to where I want it. We'll see where it is when I sand and shoot if it needs to be piked a little.

From the looks of your measuring stick you could pike yours a few inches and still be good unless you building for a 30" draw. How long is it, 72"?

Joe I know what you mean about that little hickory stick. Good looking bow right there. My favorites so far are the primitive looking wood bows but there have been some awesome glass bows built as well.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline waldo320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1483 on: June 18, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Well here are some more pics I am about 80% done sanding a little more tonight and ready for some finish tomorrow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1484 on: June 18, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Got home from work today and the wife opens the side door and says what did you order now.. I said nutten but let me see it:) There was a white tube from Red Hill. I flew out to the bow shop and open it up and out popped a really sharp Osage backed with Hickory Bow. Has an antler arrow rest, black tip over lays and is just so sweet.  

Stan thanks so much for the awesome bow my friend, Roy

The first 5 arrows from 10 yards. Ya Baby:)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1485 on: June 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
A BOW FER YEW.......
this is my trade bowthat i have been working on for the last 6 months or so on and off. the yew board was cut about 15 years ago by a friend of mine, i really struggled to get a clear bow out of it- but this was the best i could do out of the 6" wide board
so it is 68" N2N, with a hickory backing
1 3/8 at the fades

so now, i am not entirely happy with the tiller, so i thought i might pike it an inch either side, and also give me those few #'s i am looking for, and i also get to replace the nock overlays.
i used whenge, and i am not really happy with the wood- really kinda brittle, i thought about using some ipe or osage, or some curly maple- i do like the dark contrast though.

this is the amount of glued in reflex, after tillering, and multiple draws- no shooting yet.

i just love the grain patterns in these boards- good thing it is hickory backed.

this is a knot mid limb on the top. it started out as a bigger knot, so had more wood around it, but as i tillered it got smaller, and i have already reduced the wood around it once, and i geuss i could take some more off on the right side again.

these are the nock overlays,they need a bunch of work on them still, thats if i keep em.
the entire bow is all still a bit rough, and needs, sanding, finishing and leather handle etc

any and all input will be appreciated
wayne

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1486 on: June 18, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Here are some pics of the awesome trade bow that Mark Smeltzer made for Lulyn. Pics just don't do this bow justice, She is a beauty with a fantastic dye job on the back and very clean detail work.  Thanks again Mark.
Wow, Mark I can't thank you enough.It is the most beautiful bow and fits perfectly.Gorgeous bow in every way!! My birthday is coming up and what a great gift!! I can't believe it is actually my bow. Thank you, I will show it off every where I go. LuLyn (Keenan's wife)

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1487 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
You're pretty critical of your work :^) (not all a bad thing)....IMHO it looks great!

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1488 on: June 18, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
waldo320 I don't see anything but frogs in ice.
Roy looks like you got yourself a very lovely bow there and a fine shooter as well. I also marked you as received.
Fujimo that looks like a good stick to me. I can't wait to see her done to your standard if you are not happy with that tiller. That dark wood in the nocks really pop against that white hickory.
Keenan I would almost bet you wish that bow was for you now. Your wife is a lucky lady that is a beautiful stick there.
Ok I count 23 bows received and still we have 3 in the mail somewhere and one should be shipped on Monday so we are moving along now.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1489 on: June 18, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Nope Kelly, It has brought me more joy to see Lulyn light up and through this trade bow deal I have been able to bless two so I am double blessed.  :bigsmyl:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1490 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Fujimo: that tiller is beautiful!  That bow is going to be gorgeous when it's finished!    :thumbsup:  

Keenan: That bow is sure a looker!  The smile on your wife's face says it all!  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1491 on: June 18, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Keenan,
I saw the bow before Mark shipped it and you're right, it is an incredible looking bow. I wish more people could see how petite it is, those tips cant be over 5/16" wide at the grooves.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1492 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Boy all this pressure surly brings the cream to the surface! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1493 on: June 19, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I'm one of those souls who checks in periodically but doesn't post much.  Between work, family (5 kids-all in multiple extracurricular activities), church, and being a scoutmaster for my boy's troop, it doesn't seem like there's enough time in the days.  However, I do have my bow about 50% done and definitely plan to ship by the deadline.  I'll try to show some pics when I get the chance.

As others have said, there are some great bows being produced.  Great work everyone!

--Steve

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1494 on: June 19, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
Pat you sure are right about that, LOL.

Keenan it looks like your wonderful bride really likes her new bow. Hope to see you and her with it and at the classic next year.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1495 on: June 19, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
well thanks y'all
but on the tillering tree, i honestly felt that the two limbs were not bending in sync, and i had that little stiff spot at the knot
(according to the gizmo!!!-man what a tool!)
but it certianally does look a bit better in hand- like so many other guys have said- that they like to final tiller in a mirror- i can see now how that makes more sense.

;looking at all the bows that have been shipped- and about to be shipped, i honestly cannot see how any recipient could ever be dissapointed- this concept is so awesome- it sure binds a community.

i also belong to a boat forum, (and to some other forums too) man what a difference- the back biting, open aggression and 'elitisim' displayed there is disgusting - trad gang is absolutely amazing, the comraderie is phenomenal, and the real skills displayed are unsurpassed. so many of these other forums are just a lot of hot air and big talk ;sadly.

well done to the organisers, and to all the participants on this forum.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1496 on: June 19, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by fujimo:

i also belong to a boat forum, (and to some other forums too) man what a difference- the back biting, open aggression and 'elitisim' displayed there is disgusting - trad gang is absolutely amazing, the comraderie is phenomenal, and the real skills displayed are unsurpassed. so many of these other forums are just a lot of hot air and big talk ;sadly.

well done to the organisers, and to all the participants on this forum.
Here here Fujimo!  I'm a moderator on an Alaskan outdoors forum and I see the same things you mentioned.  TG is a breath of fresh air for sure!  :)

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1497 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Am I the only one cutting things this fine? It seem June/July rushed down on me. I only just painted my first coat! It'll be another week before I can send my bow off!!

Dang, where did 2011 go!?

:)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1498 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
hello Johan,
what did you build- would love to see some pics.
groete
wayne

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1499 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
fujimo. IMO this is what these bow swaps are all about. Bringing together a community and sharing info and friendship. For the beginners it really gives them the feeling that they can do it and they can improve their techniques and the outcome of the bow they are building. Just knowing it is going to someone else really brings out the best in folks. So far this bow trade has been positivly driven and hopefully is will continue so until all bows are delivered.
  Both Kris and Kelly have done a jam up job and I'm sure they will continue until the last bow is out. Thanks guys for all your hard work. And thank you to the experienced bowyers that are participating. You are going a step farther by stepping outside your comfort box but also encouraging the newbies to dig deep and create the best bow they can.
  I am a moderator on two other archery websites that don't tolerate nastiness, meanness and impolite behavior and it is a pleasure to be a part of another site that doesn't allow disrespect and other foolishness.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©