Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51971 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1520 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Ouch that hurts, but that's  bow making. Hope it works out for you.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1521 on: June 20, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
It's not me it has to work out for, it's ****.  If it was me I wouldn't care as much.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1522 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Sorry for your problems!  How wide is the bow? I have found that ipe likes to be fairly narrow...like 1 1/4" or less at the widest.
  By grinding down both sides of the boo and removing the nodes you will eliminate the power fibers making the boo more likely to fail.
  When you first thinned your boo did you cut it to shape first? This makes a big difference for the final outcome.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1523 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Pat-

It was 1-3/8 at the widest.  You think I'd be better going even thinner then?  I can do that.

I did not cut to shape before thinning, but quickly wished that I had.  This next time I will.

I instinctively feel better about leaving the nodes on.  But I thought I had read/seen more than once that it doesn't really matter.  From there I jumped to the idea that it might make my life easier and less risky to have a nice, uniform backing.  Maybe I'll stick with the instincts then after all.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1524 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
sorry to hear canopyboy. But you get to work on a new bow and you have time.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1525 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
David, 1 3/8 would be my max for BBI. If the limbs are getting too thin you can do your reduction from the sides of the limbs also.
 Ipe is a very hard wood but I have fretted it and don't know why. On one bow I built(1" wide HBI)the fret went almost all the way through the ipe. I was shocked to see it.
  Cut your boo to the profile you want and then thin it to 1/8" or less at the crown at the fades. From there you can taper it to the tips or leave it flat. Mine were always left flat at 1/8" from tip to tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1526 on: June 20, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I just read the poorfolkbows.com bbi build-along which helps a bit too.

Just a risk you take when you try something for the first time.  (Hence the hickory stave as a backup.)  Of course now it will be my second time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1527 on: June 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Round 2 is all glued up and ready to start tillering.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1528 on: June 20, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
:pray:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1529 on: June 20, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I feel your pain David. My first BBI didn't turn out so well either, but it happened the other way around. I had an ever so slightly noticeable hinge near the bottom fade and fully intended on fixing it, but was excercising the limbs in between material removal when I notice the boo had cracked right on the hingy area. My Ipe over powered the boo and caused a crack, but I think I might save it? I raised the crack with a tootpick and mopped some Urac underneath it, then smoothed down the fiber sticking up and left a nice puddle of Urac over top. I sanded it down lightly without getting into the crack so as to leave plenty of Urac on top and just feathered it off at the edges. I'm going to add a short osage lam on the belly side from the fade out about 8-10" or so and feather that into the limb. Hopefully that will work? Dunno, never did this before.........so I guess I'll see what happens?

Tenbrook- Doesn't seem like your having such good luck with the Ipe either? Maybe we should start a self help group where we can all vent our frustrations?   :mad:    :laughing:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1530 on: June 20, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I wanna join your club too semo.....

my bbi glue up from this weekend is no more...

boo popped off on a 12" section north of the power lam- I shoulda just reglued it down but i sanded everything off..

oh well- gotta get another slice of boo prepped
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1531 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Got my backing and core made, just a few more tweaks before I glue them up tomorrow..  Should have her roughed out by Thursday.  Then the slow work starts.

Adam

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1532 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I walked in after a 2 hour elk hunt prep workout to find this arrived.

I knew exactly what it was and about flipped a lid.  Ask my wife.  Despite my exhaustion, I just had to shoot it.

I took one shot at my cardboard bow stuffed with plastic bags and prompty shot through it and busted one of my pickets in my fence  :)

Went back to the flooded yard (2" of rain this morning) and shot the deer target 3 times.

She's super sweet and quiet.  I am so thrilled.  Thanks so much Jess.  It is better than anything I could have hoped for!

And to top it off, I got this in the mail today too.

Guess someone is telling me I might have a new elk bow!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1533 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
i will tell you what Bert Frelink told me- and he has built a bunch of bows- i shot an elb BBI of his for quite a while- i loved it.
he said- to always make sure the the taper on the ipe is very consistant- other wise the ipe WILL chrysall/fail.
so i geuss if the backing is inconsistant( like boo is at the nodes) then that is where the ipe is going to want to be thinner i geuss- and prone to failure.
this is where i defer to greater experience- and hope that some others chime in here- particularly Big Bert.
i have built probably six ipe bows now, all of them have been HBI, and all have survived.
some have had up to 3" of reflex glued into them and were only 55" long( with a 24" draw though)
but i swear by the revered gizmo, and go by what pat says about preparing hickory backings.
i glue all up with urac, i prep all with acetone, i scour all surfaces with a sawzall blade- i find the hacksaw blade not aggressive enough.
i dont like to use clamps, as i feel that they create high pressure areas- that will glue starve.
not saying they dont work- just saying what i use, that has worked for me- but i am a far cry from being an expert- say you know the definition of an expert;
ex- is a has been
spert- is a drip under pressure.
 i geuss an airhose, or inner tube wrap form will work well.
but this is what i use.

reflex on one side. D/R on the other. clamp holes for heating and bending staves, and the short dowel rods for the stationary quality extra thick rubber bands.

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1534 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Please add me to group!!!

Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
I feel your pain David. My first BBI didn't turn out so well either, but it happened the other way around. I had an ever so slightly noticeable hinge near the bottom fade and fully intended on fixing it, but was excercising the limbs in between material removal when I notice the boo had cracked right on the hingy area. My Ipe over powered the boo and caused a crack, but I think I might save it? I raised the crack with a tootpick and mopped some Urac underneath it, then smoothed down the fiber sticking up and left a nice puddle of Urac over top. I sanded it down lightly without getting into the crack so as to leave plenty of Urac on top and just feathered it off at the edges. I'm going to add a short osage lam on the belly side from the fade out about 8-10" or so and feather that into the limb. Hopefully that will work? Dunno, never did this before.........so I guess I'll see what happens?

Tenbrook- Doesn't seem like your having such good luck with the Ipe either? Maybe we should start a self help group where we can all vent our frustrations?    :mad:      :laughing:  

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1535 on: June 20, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Nice bow John glad to see them showing up.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1536 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Dang guys! I had no idea there were so many BBI's all going south? I don't feel quite so bad about mine now. Thanks for the pick me up.   :D  

The only good thing is that I know exactly what caused my failure and I'm not left wondering about it. It was completely my fault and I won't make that same mistake again because it was turning out fine otherwise.   :knothead:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1537 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Sweet bow John!!  Looks like an elk bow to me.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1538 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Good for you John!    :bigsmyl:

Now go get to shooting and get that get that thing ready for Elk. I'll be expecting some elk meat on the fire, LOL.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1539 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Well....

I didn't get my grip/rest finished and I'm leaving on a 5 day motorcycle trip to Dawson City, YT Wednesday morning so it looks like I won't get it shipped till next Monday.  

Put me on hold Kelly....    :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©