Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51949 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1540 on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
Dang guys! I had no idea there were so many BBI's all going south? I don't feel quite so bad about mine now. Thanks for the pick me up.    :D  

The only good thing is that I know exactly what caused my failure and I'm not left wondering about it. It was completely my fault and I won't make that same mistake again because it was turning out fine otherwise.    :knothead:  
Chris - Let's consider the group started.  It looks like we have several good members to kick it off with already.

I'm not sure I know "exactly what caused my failure," but I've got an idea.  Last night I got my new boo backing cut, ground, and ready to glue up.  The thickness is much more uniform, and much thinner.  Since I had a little better idea of the thickness I was going to need, I think the ipe is closer to final dimensions to start with.  I also cut a slight taper into its thickness as well.  I think tonight I'll be able to glue up round 2.

Cheers!   :coffee:    (Where's the beer mug graemlin?)   :dunno:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1541 on: June 21, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
John your one lucky guy!As soon as I saw the box in the picture I knew what you had.I shot my Jess Stuart bow
(from last years swap) just last night.I cant put it down.Jess builds one awsum bow!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1542 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
AKmud got it thanks.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1543 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Great work on the bows everyone! I just might have to throw my name in the hat for next year since I seem to have recently gotten the bow building bug   :archer2:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1544 on: June 21, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:

quote:
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
Dang guys! I had no idea there were so many BBI's all going south? I don't feel quite so bad about mine now. Thanks for the pick me up.     :D    

The only good thing is that I know exactly what caused my failure and I'm not left wondering about it. It was completely my fault and I won't make that same mistake again because it was turning out fine otherwise.     :knothead:  
Chris - Let's consider the group started.  It looks like we have several good members to kick it off with already.

I'm not sure I know "exactly what caused my failure," but I've got an idea.  Last night I got my new boo backing cut, ground, and ready to glue up.  The thickness is much more uniform, and much thinner.  Since I had a little better idea of the thickness I was going to need, I think the ipe is closer to final dimensions to start with.  I also cut a slight taper into its thickness as well.  I think tonight I'll be able to glue up round 2.

Cheers!    :knothead:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1545 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
John glad it showed up okay and you are happy with it.  Hope it serves you well for years to come.  Congrats and good luck on the elk tag.
Scottm thanks for the kind words and I am very happy your are enjoying you bow, I know I certainly have enjoyed the one I received form you.  The bow swap is a great deal of fun and I would encourage anyone to join in the fun.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1546 on: June 21, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Chris-

What was said about ipe wanting to fail where you had an uneven taper made a little sense.  It did fail where the boo was thickest, which also means where ipe was thinnest.  Regardless, I think I'm better off now.

I should check the thickness with calipers, but I'm pretty sure I'm under .180, maybe close to .125 at the handle and what seems to be crazy thin near the tips.  I used the belt sander method, and kept working the boo over it until the thickness was a smooth, even transition to the tips.  Not sure how a person would do any kind if tapering jigs for bamboo backing.  The nodes are really not even enough to allow that and you'd have to support in between and keep from rolling all at the same time.  Being an engineer, I'm sure there's a way.  But I doubt it's worth it unless you're selling them in large quantities.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1547 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm not in this Trad Bow Trade (when it started i was such a Newbie I was much to nervous about the idea and the deadline) but I will say this...I have a BBI that I' am about ready to get ready for glue up BUT now you guys have me quite nervous about the idea    :dunno:
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1548 on: June 21, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Well, I don't think there are any honest bowyers out there that would tell you that they got where they were without a lot partial if not complete failures along the way.  So give it a go.  My first BBI has now failed, but I'm ready to make the second one succeed.  And I have enough to make a third just in case....

The best part about this forum is the ability to share and learn from the mistakes of others.  Think of what you've read as a head start knowing what can go wrong instead of something to be discouraged by.

Of course, maybe the last couple weeks of a bow swap isn't the best time to try something new for the first time.  But then again, sometimes the best time is the present.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1549 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Lee I think if you do a straight profile and add some glued in reflex by raising the tips you won't have any problem. It's just another bow wood and it will tiller just like all the rest if you pay attention. Use the gizmo to get a nice smooth pretty arc and you'll have yourself a firecracker! I screwed mine up because I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to a minor detail, it really wasn't the Ipe or the bamboo's fault.

We better continue this discussion in a different thread and stop busting up the Trade Bow section. Don't want to stray this too far off course. I'll start a seperate thread just for this discussion.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1550 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
My bad, and good point...carry on folks, GREAT BOWS!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1551 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
my bow swap bow will ship in 2 days i performed the recommended fixes  made by mr pat. and stiks and strings. if y'all want to see the bow there is an entire bow build  from me here at the bowyers bench on this 2 piece bow. ive also written a letter by hand to accompany this bow for my recipient, for its care, brace height, what arrows to shoot from it and specific lenght, weight of broadheads/field points, and the size fletches to use. i will also include an example of the arrows. i also in the letter, instructed my recipient in the point of aim@ 20 yrds to make ease of adjustment in shooting this bow. it is not centershot. i hope my recipient likes this bow.mr pat and stiks have also witnessed me shooting this bow, i would hope to think that they thought that i shot it well. it is a quiet bow and should give my recipient many yrs of service. may the gods bring you luck and the many of harvest with it r.v.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1552 on: June 21, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
broketooth -- you took all the fun out of it for the recipient!  It's like you're sending a cheat sheet.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1553 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Nice elk hunting bow John!  Where in CO and when will you be hunting? I found out this past weekend that I will be hunting in the San Juan Mountains between 9/2 and 9/10. I'll only have a $351 cow tag with me this time. My first trip in '06 I had a bull/ either sex $550 tag.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1554 on: June 21, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Well Ruddy I know *********** is going to love your bow if it is like your take down. How have you been?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1555 on: June 22, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
doin ok here kelly, just have had my hands full if ya know what i mean. canopyboy, the bow i made is not an easy bow to shoot. it does draw smooth, however, aiding my recipient in its use will take the frustration out of it and make it more fun to shoot
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1556 on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Broketooth, I was only kidding.  I think it is awesome that you're taking the time to do all that.  I can see how (especially if it's a finicky bow) a person could get frustrated trying to get everything matched to the bow and as a result not fully enjoy what it has to offer.  My hat's off to you, sir.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1557 on: June 22, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
was hoping to get some time in this afternoon , but i had to go to NY , and just got back a little bit ago. going to wire the garage this weekend and put in the 15k btu a/c unit (forr the 200sq ft room) , and get to it.

three pages and no pics,  youre all fired...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1558 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Mine is in the make up room gettin it's game face on. A little more finish work, a handle wrap, serve the string, and add some furry silencers and it should be ready to ship. A couple pics of it's current status ....

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1559 on: June 23, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Nice work vanillabear!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©