Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51919 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1600 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Hey 4est do you have a buildalong for that kite string yardstick?   :biglaugh:
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1601 on: June 26, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Hey, Goose...don't laugh.  :)  I can remember shooting dowels across my dad's woodshop into a cardboard box using two or three yard sticks taped together and strung up with kite string. Those flying dowels would scare the poop out of the cats...and my dad, too, if he happened to walk into the line of fire   :scared:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1602 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Nice bow, John!  Osage I presume? Glad I learned to shoot right handed while shooting in the bow I sent Roy.
Oh, rats! There's 5 .s in the name.....
Stan

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1603 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Nice work Johan and John!We've sure seen alot of beautiful bows this swap.Ive enjoyed it.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1604 on: June 26, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I hear ya 4est. This is a great swap.

For those that don't know I cut my teeth on board bows via 4est's great build along. I haven't built as many bows as alot guys here but the bench has definetly helped me to raise the bar on my bow making and every bow I build is better than the last.

Johan I hear ya on the tick tock LOL I had to chase a ring on another stave today. I have one finished but just not satisfied with how it shoots so I put it the corner to figure out later. I pulled a great osage stave out of the stash and roughed it out today. Should be shooting it this weekend. Got it on the long string today and will have it tillered and finished. Good thing I got a long weekend next weekend.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1605 on: June 26, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I hear ya 4est. This is a great swap.

For those that don't know I cut my teeth on board bows via 4est's great build along. I haven't built as many bows as alot guys here but the bench has definetly helped me to raise the bar on my bow making and every bow I build is better than the last.

Johan I hear ya on the tick tock LOL I had to chase a ring on another stave today. I have one finished but just not satisfied with how it shoots so I put it the corner to figure out later. I pulled a great osage stave out of the stash and roughed it out today. Should be shooting it this weekend. Got it on the long string today and will have it tillered and finished. Good thing I got a long weekend next weekend.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1606 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
My trade bow has been tillered and shooting for about three months, but getting the finish right is has given me fits; can’t remember a bow giving me this much trouble before.  Still have another week though and I’m getting good at the spray-on and then sand off….brush-on and then sand off…………and the rub-on  and then rub/sand off.….

:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  

If the latest finish comes out right (and it looks good so far) it will be in the mail later this week.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1607 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
spray on sand off, wipe on wipe off, I'm sure glad I've NEVER had to do that!   :banghead:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1608 on: June 26, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Ah yes, the karate kid finish method. Have tried it myself.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1609 on: June 27, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Nice looking stick Johan and John. Let me know when they are shipped.

So I have 26 received, 3 mailed, and 2 waiting to be shipped.

Stiks as long as my computer does not crash I am fine if it does, I am throwing in the towel lol
The good thing about the spread sheet is all I have to do next year is delete the ones who do not enter and add the new guys. Oh and just have everyone confirm their info. I agree my part is not very hard, I get to just watch all these wonderful bows. Although knowing none are mine is very hard, oh well. Come on January 2012 sign up.  :)

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1610 on: June 27, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Well, 5 days and 1200 miles on my motorcycle with my bride has been a great vacation!  Now, back to the task at hand I guess.  :)   Time to get that handle/rest finished and ship 'er off!  

BTW...We have a note from the post office describing a package waiting for pick up as a "long white tube"......     :pray:    :biglaugh:

Offline K30bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1611 on: June 27, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
My swap bow is almost ready to go in the mail. Thanks to Greg who graciously sprayed an epoxy finish for me today. I filled the grain with tru-oil and sanded it down in prep for the epoxy finish. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'll put a few more finished photos up once I get the rest and string on it.

Golden Rain veneer turned out nice. I'm going to build myself one with this stuff!

Homemade actionwood, lots of work and enough smooth-on to glue up 2 complete bows went into this riser.

It is better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1612 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Ok, she's being finished.  Had to stop the tiller short of perfect as she was falling under weight.  But she shoots well.  My draw is normally a bit longer, but I tried several different arrows at 20yd, and it appears she likes pink.  (Although they all launched smoothly and hit hard.)

Barring something tragic, looks like I'll make it on time after all.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1613 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Very good work, Lane!  It looks like you did an excellent job on that riser.  I counted somewhere around 23 lams in that thing!  I bet it shoots as good as it looks.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1614 on: June 27, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Beautiful job Lane!

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1615 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
great lookin bows everyone! i myself got a very late start, but i'm about 85% done. got to sand it smooth and appoy a finish. i should have just enough time. here are a couple pics.

the riser is brown ebony and curly maple.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1616 on: June 27, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Those are some great looking bows, nice job guys. I sent mine off today, hopefully it will make it until the deadline. Here are some pictures of the finished bow...

----------
Andy

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1617 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Wow, you guys are sure putting out some beautiful bows, I'd be proud to give any of them a home.....Dan

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1618 on: June 27, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
finished shaping the one i'm shipping today. a little tillering tomorrow then sand and finish and it should be ready to ship friday if i keep on track.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1619 on: June 27, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
WOW!! there are some really nice bows ready or almost ready to ship.  I hate to check in on this thread I want everyone I see.  I know it wrong to covet but man there are some nice ones.  Kinda of glad I haven't received mine yet each one I see looks better than the last one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©