Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51666 times)

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1660 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Hey Dudes and Dudettes -

I have some string material on the way and should get "wutzizname's" bow shipped by the deadline.

If I get real adventuresome and my youngest will help, I will try to get some pics up in a week or so.

va
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1661 on: June 30, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Some real fine bows, everybody haas done good!

Finally got the finish looking decent, but mine will be late, it will not ship until Saturday or Tuesday.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1662 on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I must admit the excitement is killing me  :)  
I finished mine yesterday so now just need to stick it in the tube and get it posted. I was planning to finished several days back but had to redo a coat or two of paint...

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1663 on: June 30, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Kelly is right, Bona. Don't feel too pressured, folks'll wait.
Stan  ;)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1664 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
South Africa! Wow Johan... whats it cost to send a bow to the U.S.?

Ohio Maple? Waldo,,, I could stand that.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1665 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Ok, things are looking up.

First, I went back and read the rules.  Ship by July 9th, 30 day grace period.  Right now it's looking like July 9th should be easy.

Second, while the first one got scrapped, and the second one needed a "fix" that included salvaging the boo off the first one, we are finally tillered, shot-in and ready to finish.

Here she is at full draw (I needed someone with a little shorter draw length....):

I have about 80 arrows through her now.  I can't believe that I made a bow that shoots that smooth, that fast, or most importantly hits that close to where I'm aiming -- even at a short draw.  (Heck, maybe I should shorten up my draw.    :confused: )
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1666 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
looks good CB
I would love to see a close up of the fades. How you did your boo. It does not look like it goes all the way up the handle in those pics, but faded part of the way up it. Looks good
Just let me know when you ship,
Kelly

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1667 on: July 01, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
@osagetree No idee YET. I'm packaging it tomorrow and then I'll go knocking on the door of DHL  :)
The way I see it shipping will cost me faaar too much BUT just sitting here watching the trade every year without taking part is too much for a sane man to bear  :D

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1668 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Hi Johan, I know exactly what you mean. After I sent away my swap bow last year I felt like 'holy sh.., that's to expensive to ship a bow that far'. But it's way to much fun not to participate...

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1669 on: July 01, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I am totally JACKED...shes done.  Twisting up a new string right now and she will definitely be in the  mail tomorrow.  Kelly, I will let you know if I do not get it sent....might take a little doing to get the packaging I need.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1670 on: July 01, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I got mine bandaged up and shooting again, so i'll post some pre-finished pics. This bow is the FIFTH attempt for my recipient. Each one had one issue or another. This was my most earnest effort, so hopefully it lasts for whoever it goes to. Also, after spending so much on 4 previous pieces of fire wood, I had to keep it simple and try to make her beautiful through her fit and finish. Here are some teaser pics. I'll post pics of the repair in my "how would YOU fix this?" thread.

Red oak board bow, with walnut accents. She's pulling in the low 40's right now, but that may be just what she chooses to be. We'll see how she does after I shoot her a couple hundred more times. These are pre-finished pics, i'll hopefully be posting finished pics after this weekend.

I tried paying extra special attention to grain on this bow. I used pieces from random parts of the bow to build it up, and got pretty darn close to making it look like it was one resawn piece:

Here she is strung up with her band aid:

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1671 on: July 01, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm not in this swap Fish n chicks but after seeing your work I sure as heck wish I was!!!  Those nocks ROCK!  I need to try those on my next recurve...WOW!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1672 on: July 01, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Here it is....

I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline waldo320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1673 on: July 01, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
My bow has been shipped my recipient should receive it mid next week!

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1674 on: July 01, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Some killer bows being posted.......I got mine shipped mid week. Sure hope **** likes it. It should show up tomorrow sometime at your door step.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1675 on: July 01, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
im going to spend saturday night and as much sunday as i can . 6 day work week is horrible for bow building. i need to go back to being retired.

dont want to rush it , as i probably wont ever have this osage opportunity again.

thank goodness for a 30 day grace. once i ship this years , im going to go get a bunch of material and glue up a bunch of blanks for next years swap.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1676 on: July 01, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by fish n chicks:
I had to keep it simple and try to make her beautiful through her fit and finish.
Fish,
You just nailed the secret to building a fine bow. I really like the way it looks.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1677 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I agree nice nock work there fish! Sometimes I find it hard to match both tips when trying to get too fancy.

I think it would be very special to get a bow from South Africa or Switzerland... Someone's gett'n lucky IMO!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1678 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
The bows look good guys can't wait until the next swap
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1679 on: July 01, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Okay guys... sorry for such a delay.  I received my bow last week.  I was out of town on business, then this week was bell to bell.

Here it is:

VERY NICE!  I likey!  Thank you Shawn.  Awesome work.  the kids love the snake skin.

And he must of seen my fingers in some of my other post, because the crooked limb looks like my crooked fingers...LOL..

Again thank you.  I have only shot it a few times, but seems real nice.  I have never owned or shot a stick bow before.. so this is cool.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©