Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51605 times)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1780 on: July 07, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, Just looking at some of the awesome bows being sent out and the efforts that everyone has put in their work, makes me very happy to have been a part of this.
Here is one for the new owner to have a sneak peak.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1781 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
what a beauty!!!mr keenan, you and mr pat ana few select others produce bows at a level i aspire to. what a beautifly crafted bow. fish said it right  WOW. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1782 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Some really cool bows being shipped.  Makes a guy want to take a weeks vacation and sit on the porch waiting, for the mail truck to show up.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1783 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shaun:
Keenan, my heart sank when I saw the lefty shelf... maybe next year. Another beauty of form and function with your juniper and sinew. Lovely detail on the skins and tips.
Now why'd you have to point that out.  I had high hopes until I got to your post Shaun....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1784 on: July 07, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Shaun:
Keenan, my heart sank when I saw the lefty shelf... maybe next year. Another beauty of form and function with your juniper and sinew. Lovely detail on the skins and tips.

Just stand on yr head, Thats what I had to do to shoot her in.  :archer2:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1785 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
nice lookin bow, canopy- i really like the boo belly and back- i will certianally be building one of those in the very near future. how did you do the colouring around the nodes?
how well does boo resist the compression on the belly.
how did you get it to come in close to your required draw weight- i assume you had to pre tiller the boo befor glueing up.
sorry---sooo many questions.
wayne
Fuji-

Coloring around the nodes was playing around trying to get some sort of camo effect going.  After the first couple of coats of finish, I hit it with brown spray paint.  Then I sanded that off until I got to a pattern like you see.  Then added some more coats of finish.  I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

I think the engineering properties of bamboo in both tension and compression can't be beat by any wood.  I'm not worried about the belly at all any more.

As for the tillering, I had it to a good tiller but a little light before I found the defect in the upper limb.  So I figured I'd use that as a starting point.  I mapped out the thickness along both limbs of the bow.  The lower limb was a bit stiffer and had the best tiller curve, so I figured I'd use that as my target thickness with a little extra (30 thou I think) added in to put some weight back on.  I ground the bamboo down to a thin taper, and measured it at the same spots as the bow.  Subtracting that from my target thickness profile I had dimensions to grind the belly of the bow to.

When I glued it up, the tiller was fairly good and I had gained 12 lbs or something like that.  I lost a few pounds tweaking the tiller by working the sides a bit, and ended up at 57 lbs.  Target was 55.  After shooting it in, it read 56 lbs, so that's what went on the bow and I'm
claiming success.  I want to make one for myself now, but maybe a few inches longer.  I'll probably use the same method, although I plan to clamp the bamboo up the fades better.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1786 on: July 07, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Keenen marked you as sent I hope **** is not afraid of snakes for that on would give most the willies at first glance. Truly a work of art though.

Canopyboy you gave me a head ache with all that math.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1787 on: July 07, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Man what beautiful bows!
You guys are amazing!  :notworthy:  
Stan

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1788 on: July 07, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Well, I got lucky and the Fed-ex man came back. I was excited to see that he did indeed have a long tube for me. I could tell by all the stickers that this package had a very long trip, all the way from South Africa it turns out.  I tore it open and inside was a beautiful bow made for me by Johan van Niekerk.  This is my very first glass bow, and the fact that it was made for me from someone so far away makes it all the more special. Thanks so much, Johan. I immediately shot some arrows with it and can say without hesitation that this bow shoots really hard and right where I look. I hope to get some time hunting with it this fall and if I can draw blood, I'll be sure to post pictures. Here are a few pics of my new bow. Thanks again, Johan. I really do appreciate it.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1789 on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Wow!  Beautiful work on some beautiful bows.  You're really making this newbie squirm.  

I've been practicing and making mistakes and now I've got one that needs some writing and another coat of finish or two and it should be ready to ship.  My tiller could be better and it's light but it's going to have to do.

How's that old saying go?  "it's the thought that counts."  I can only hope to  be in the same league as some of you guys.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1790 on: July 07, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Vanillabear? congrats on a fine looking bow. Ranger44 I am sure as long as you did your best **** is going to enjoy your bow, heck they my be able to give you some pointers on how to make the nest one better.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1791 on: July 07, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
oh and that is 36 bows received, 9 still in the mail so you have a 19%  chance that on of them 9 is yours.
and as of now 6 bowyers shipping late. I will let you know on the 10th if you are going to be waiting a little longer, all have tried but the bows they were working on just did not pan out.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1792 on: July 07, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
There sure are a lot of four letter names getting tossed around now...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1793 on: July 07, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
That's cause Kelly can only count to 4:)

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1794 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Finally got some more tru oil this week. A 32oz bottle for about 18 bucks shipped. Got a few coats on it tonight. Probly get a few more tomorrow. Need to serve my string and put a handle on then its off to the post office. May ship by sat if not it will be mon or tue for sure can't wait for my recipient to finally get his bow.

If he's anything like me he's been checking almost everyday still waitin for that long tube. . . . Well you'll have to wait at least a couple more.
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1795 on: July 07, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Canopyboy, I've been counting those little stars too. And now Roy's gone and ruined it for me! LOL
Oh, well... Just keep watchin'.
  :p

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1796 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Keenan, that bow is outstanding!

Kelly, don't be paying too much attention to Pat.  Personally, I like what I heard,  :saywhat:  four letter names, long draw lengths, and lefthanded bows.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline K30bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1797 on: July 07, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Mine should make it in the mail this weekend. Monday at the very latest. Sorry to all for the delay, the bow is finished. I'll get some pics up before I ship it.
It is better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1798 on: July 08, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
@ Vanillabear  :)

Glad you got it. The riser and tips are African Walnut (Or thats what the wood guy told me). Hopefully she shoots well. I'm still very much a beginner bowyer  :D

Remember to post photos if you ever take an animal with it!!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1799 on: July 08, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Tomorrow July 9 is the "DEADLINE" from the original sign up thread. Less that 50% of bows received so far!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©