Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51054 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
never seen a flathead. i love the belly skins though. probably more than back skins.

that juniper is looking niiiiice too.

i cant wait to dig in!

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Those skins sound cool Kerry, I'd say whatever matches or compliments. I'm the same way about building a bow. I'm never content untill I can see it in my mind.then I can settle in and have fun as it unfolds  :dunno:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Keenan, how many layers of sinew will that juniper require. Its looking great.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Kerry, I think I am just going to do one good heavy layer and skins over that.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
What type of skins do you have in mind?

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with antler tips. Those bows are looking great. Can't wait to see what shows up on my doorstep
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Not sure yet Kerry. Still trying to put togther the finished vision of her.   :bigsmyl:

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
i might have to find the one shed i have ever found , and do some antler overlays on the osage swap..

-hov

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Wow!  Lots of work going on.  It's looking like I'm the only one working glass!  At least I don't have to worry about thorns!    :biglaugh:
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
Dick,
Give the most glass bowyers a few weeks for their material orders to arrive, then you will see quite a few glass bows started.

Thanks again for the input regarding the thickness sander.

I went by the storage shed this afternoon and loaded a 14" log that had been kerfed when it was cut and been drying since March of 2004.  I think there are several bows in it, but just in case, I grabbed a couple of Osage and one Eastern Red Cedar stave.  I will take a few pictures tomorrow and post them.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
I picked up a great piece of hickory today.  Once I get my form built and lams cut I can start the glue up!  We have an indoor NFAA shoot this weekend so it will be busy for me and two of my daughters but it should slow down after that.  Looking forward to makin' some shavings!  

Looks like the plan is a hickory backed cherry with zebra wood for the grip and overlays.  I might have to play with some stains on this one....

Do you guys know of local shops that carry phenolic?  I'd like to go put my hands on some before having to order it on the I-net.  I haven't worked with it before so I'm not sure what type of stores would carry it.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Looking great guys, nice bow Ranger3 someones going to be happy with that one !

I got half my Black Walnut rawhided yesterday, going to do the other half tomorrow. I'm having Christmas with my Mom today, so no bow building   :(  but i get to see the whole family   :bigsmyl:
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Kerry, I used Rosewood for tips on my nephew's bows this Christmas. It looked real nice and Rosewood is so hard that after sanding down to eventually using 400 grit, I buffed them on my bench grinder with a buffing wheel and they shined like glass. Very sleek and very pretty.
I think I'll be using that again, but I'm about to run out of Rosewood scraps so I have to hoard what I have left. Even though it only takes a small piece about 1.250" long x 1/2" thick.
I like working with Rosewood because it's so hard that it's almost impossible to screw up.

Deer antler also makes real nice tips if you have some of that on hand, and I think I'm going to try using that next?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
yeah i forgot all about the shed i have. i might get up to my old mans property and see if i can find some more sheds and some sapplings...

wish i could get out and work on my locust...

-hov

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Keenan I know ******* is just going to love that bow.
Kerryb you know that ********** is just going to enjoy shooting wonderful stick. Heck any horn or antler looks good on tips.
Ranger 3 I think you lit the fire under their bottoms. LOL

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
kelly who got **** ?

-hov

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I got the recurves bent today. I have pics I will post later. This will be a 60" elm static recurve, 50#@28" mol.
  This is the first time I've heat bent elm and it bends nice with dry heat and oil. I did get a splinter lifting on the outside(belly) of the curve in one limb(haven't checked the other) but the limb tips are thick enough I can scrape it out and still have plenty of wood thickness. First I'll run some super glue down into the splinter just for insurence even though it should all be removed when I shape the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
There is some great stuff going on here. Keenan I like what you are doing with the juniper it's helping me to see what to do with mine. I just split some jumiper and plan on cutting bunch more.
My brother-inlaw let me take a bunch of hickory,cherry and some maple boards could make for some cool board bows....Oh what to make/break for this?

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Mine is coming along well so far,it is a 65" Hophornbeam tillered to 55# @ 28" right now.  Ran about 35 arrows through it today, shoots smooth and close to where I'm lookin, didn't do bad for shooting off the knuckle with no nocking point installed.  Plan to heat treat the limbs and re tiller to somewhere around 50 - 55# @ 28" then shoot it in and finish, haven't decided what to put on the back yet.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I still can't make up my mind on what to build....

Osage with flipped tips, yew long bow, BBO, trilam of boo, bloodwood, and osage

I'll get it figured out in a few weeks. I'm gonna finish up my trap line this month and get to bow making.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©