Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51505 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1900 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:
Looks like it stackes'em too!

As bad as this sounds I almost can't believe it myself but the one I thought was gonna be the one blew on me today out of no where. Upon closer examination of the break I seen where it had a very small splinter on the edge of the limb and I guess it carried across the limb and she snapped. I know how fish feels let me tell you.

I feel like I am starting building bows all over again.      :knothead:

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1901 on: July 12, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Fish, Can I join the club even though most of my failures were stupid mistakes on my part?  I think this is bow attempt number 5 I'm working on now.

Still tillering here.  Just noticed a pin knot across the width of the belly.  May end up doing some patches soon.
Adam

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1902 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
If you notice on my trade bow there are 2 braided serving wraps part way up the limb from the fades. Those were knots of concern, not failures or splinters, just areas of concern that could someday cause a problem so I wrapped them before they ever got the chance. There's no shame in taking some "preventative measures" especially with osage because it puts a pin knot in the worst possible place and there's not much you can do about it. So rather than allow a small knot to cause me a problem I super glue it an wrap it now before it becomes an issue. Of course I tiller the bow first, but before lots of shooting I'll wrap em.
I don't do every single knot or anomoly, just the ones that are close to the edge of the limb or just appear that they could be a problem later on.

And it doesn't effect the performance of the bow one bit.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1903 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
1 in 44?  Bah...much more than that.  I'm so glad to finally have a shooter after all my breaks.  I've finished the handle, arrow rest, and started applying the finish to the ipe last night.  It's amazing how pretty that wood is when it has a sheen.  

To be perfectly honest - it's nice to see more experienced folks are having problems too.  Makes us newbies not feel so bad!  

Inuumarue with 5 breaks...dude that's a killer.  Way to stick it out - persistance is really the key.  I've broke/ruined 4 or 5 bows now, but each one I've learned a bit from.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1904 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Boy Kris. You might need a new hobby! d;^)  I think it is time to go back into your comfort zone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1905 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Got a message from KellyG.

Ok aram,
eagleone as offered up one of the 2 bows he got. I asked westtexan if he wanted to build you another one or if he wanted me to contact eagleone and have him ship you one of those bows. The choice is yours, and you can't go wrong either way.

Kelly
I was so upset for a while because of fedex's response to their mistake, now I am so humbled and blown away by people's generosity.     :notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:  
Still don't know what to say. Eagleone: The offer is reward enough. Thank you!   :notworthy:   Let's wait and see how FedEx makes up for their mishap. Certainly can't put a price on the bow thy broke but maybe they'll make it worth building another. Who knows...

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1906 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the pick me up Pat. I would pick up a new hobby but this keeps drawing me in further and further   :knothead:

I pulled out a piece of boo and some slats yesterday, 4 of the 5 that I had problems with where due to my scale. I now have two scales that are accurate within a 1/2 pound. I have built four shooters during this venture but they are very light weight bows and will end up going going to some kids.

MW, I'm no seasoned bowyer by any stretch. I have built about 25 bows and out of that about 6 turned out to be hunting weight well tillered bows and 3 have come apart and the others where light weight and ended up in the corner waiting for a youngster to come along.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1907 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
... and, Eagleone, it doesn't mean I'm not drooling over either one of those gorgeous bows you got. 'Cause I am.    :D

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1908 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I have to come to expect to see this sort of thing round here Aram. Pretty good folks if I do say so.

Well I'll retract that and say The best folks you'll ever find anywhere!
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1909 on: July 12, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Aram:
Got a message from KellyG.

Ok aram,
eagleone as offered up one of the 2 bows he got. I asked westtexan if he wanted to build you another one or if he wanted me to contact eagleone and have him ship you one of those bows. The choice is yours, and you can't go wrong either way.

Kelly
I was so upset for a while because of fedex's response to their mistake, now I am so humbled and blown away by people's generosity.      :notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:  
Still don't know what to say. Eagleone: The offer is reward enough. Thank you!    :notworthy:    Let's wait and see how FedEx makes up for their mishap. Certainly can't put a price on the bow thy broke but maybe they'll make it worth building another. Who knows... [/b]
What an amazing group we belong to here! This is why I come back daily. We're all watching to see what fedex does for you Aram.

Pat, I feel as Stiks does. This is what I want to do as long as I possibly can. I CAN'T get another hobby. This addiction won't let me. It's not quite as bad as when I first discovered hunting, but I'm pretty sure it can be classified as a sickness. I don't care how many arrows or bows I break, jigs that don't work, or band aids are needed.

I am going to be trying my SIXTH attempt for my guy, but I think now there is some much needed Zen back in my shop.

Thank you for that Goose and Stiks.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1910 on: July 12, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why I keep doing this to myself as well, but just can't seem to shake it off. I love building bows and I learn something from each one, and each one gets better even if it fails. I improve some part of the process regardless.

I am slowing way down in this incredible heat we are having though. You folks in Texas, Arizona, and other southern states are used to heat over 100 deg.F but that's not normal for Missouri.

Hang in there Kris, the troubles will pass. Scrape up all the broken bows from your shop, carry them all outside in the back yard, make a bon fire and burn the bad charma. Sweep all the shavings, sawdust, ect from any remnants of bows past and get rid of it.
Start fresh with a fresh clean shop, maybe that will do the trick.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1911 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm as hooked as the next guy and have been for over 25 years. I was kidding with Kris about a new hobby. Heck I don't have time to keep up with all my hobbies as it is. Between work and the opressive weather I'm good if I can stay awake whenever I sit in my chair. At least my basement workshop is at least 10 degs cooler than the outside but the humidity is what really gets me.
Keep at it Kris and everyone else that are having troubles. This group is as patient as they are generous!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1912 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Pat I know you was kidding, LOL and as far as patience I know you are a testament to that. If I didn't get a bit of a ribbing now and then I would think somebody was mad at me   :D

I'm waiting to hear back from DmaxShawn before I get to carried away. I do have a couple options layed out on the bench maybe do a bbo or a boo backed bloodwood. Or I may start on another selfbow.

I do know that after I get this swap bow shipped I'm starting on next years and gonna give myself some time for a nice character bow that I've been trying to accomplish for this swap the last two years. Heck maybe the third year will be the charm, LOL
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1913 on: July 12, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Ok, so it only took me three tries to make a salvageable bow, so I'm feeling kind of lucky here.  But has anyone else had the thought (no matter how fleeting and short-lived) that they should just give up and buy a bow for their recipient?  After the second one I'll admit that I actually thought about it for a couple good long minutes.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1914 on: July 12, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:
Ok, so it only took me three tries to make a salvageable bow, so I'm feeling kind of lucky here.  But has anyone else had the thought (no matter how fleeting and short-lived) that they should just give up and buy a bow for their recipient?  After the second one I'll admit that I actually thought about it for a couple good long minutes.
Not for a second for me. I have, however, had the thought of sending one of my first bows off. After having 5 blow up on me, it was looking like a good idea. Feeling desperate causes desperate reactions. But I hated that idea too. It's just not what this is about. If I wasn't pushing myself and my comfort level, I probably could've shipped one out by now, and not learned about knots on the back, tillering too long with a long string, and the problems with using exotic woods with domestics.

I also wouldn't have had all this wonderful and colorful kindling for my fire pit!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1915 on: July 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Sometimes & in my opinion, you just can't force a bow out of any kind of materials. You have to slow down and let that said material tell you what to do.
 I'm sure no one minds if someone is late and having a bit of trouble,,, it happens.
Some form of communication to the right people (Kris or Kelly) would pacify 99.999% of intended recipients.  
Nice bows and efforts gang!!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1916 on: July 12, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
From my understanding there is about 20 people that hasn't been heard from. Is this correct Kelly?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1917 on: July 12, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Joe, I agree with your first statement. Let the wood(stave) tell you what it wants to be. I have found that has helped me with problem staves in the past. A little corrective bending here or there just helps it all come together.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1918 on: July 12, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I considered giving up and buying a bow, and I also flirted with sending a previously completed bow.  So I'm with ya both Canopy and Fish.  In the end though, as I'm laying the finish on the completed BBI, it is nice to have gotten through it.  Kind of like the feeling of a long hike with a cool waterfall at the end.

I was pretty far down after I developed the crack in the ipe on the last bow.  The only reason I didn't give up was because of the wonderful, wonderful bow that was given to me.  The heat is killer in Georgia this time of year, and getting that bow was the only thing that kept the sweat rolling in my garage.

But I can tell ya this, the day I have a conditioned shop - both air and heat - is the day I will feel financially set.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1919 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Joe said it about as right as it can get. Pat knows I have a bad habit of trying to tweak a stick just that last little bit and causing my own heart ache. LOL

I do learn from it everytime though.

On a good note I talked DmaxShawn and I will building a good ol Boo backed bow. I'll glue in some Perry Reflex, a powerlam tiller out and let her be what she wants to be. Add some good looking handle lams and tips.

Stiks
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©