Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51457 times)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #1980 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Bone that is a great looking bow.  I am with canaopyboy the bows of late are so incredible, one is fortunate to still be waiting.  Seems there is pictures of cooler and cooler bows everyday.

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1981 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys,this one about burnt me out,with all the activities my kids are in and this crazy weather we've had so far this year,( spent about 10 hrs. with a chain saw in my hands just so a buddy could get to his cabin 2 weeks ago, and there still people with out power north of here)I had a hell of a time getting a decent finish on that bow with the humidity it would not dry or one of our state birds birds was stuck in it so after sanding it off 3 times I finally said good enough and started hunting for something to ship it in and sent it on it's way. I really would like to improve my finish, seems to give me  a hard time. Hopefully we do this again, it makes us all better at our craft as you can tell by all the beautiful bows showing up on here, those BBO"s and skinned self bows make me drool.Thank you again Trux for the long bow, you really put the pressure on to a good job and appreciate it. Like I said, it's been fun, now to get caught up around here. Hunting seasons only a couple months away!!! (but first I need a beer) Thanks, Ted.

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1982 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Buy the way it's red elm and curly maple, I work making hardwood mouldings and my dad used to work at a sawmill, all that wood costs me $ 0.00. I think a few strips of black glass would really set it off, maybe next time. Ted

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1983 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Nice job on that one Ted!! The curly maple makes a unique looking bow.

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1984 on: July 16, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Ok.  I finally got mine in the mail this morning.  It took me much longer to finish it up than I had planned.  Sorry about the delay.

Also, when I walked in from work last night, there was a long white tube from Larry Joiner sitting on my bed.  Thank you Larry!  The bow looks great!  Unfortunately, I won't really get to try it out for awhile as I'm leaving for scout camp in a few hours and will be gone all next week.  I know that they ask us not to bring our own bows and arrows, but I might just have to sneak this one in anyway.

Again, thank you, and I'll try to get some pictures up after I return.

--Steve

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1985 on: July 16, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
FINALLY!  got her done.  

It's a fiberglass one piece recurve that is XX inches tall and pulls xx lbs at xx draw.  

Ya'll know I have arthritis, so I will say that I can not pull it all the way back when shooting.  I had to sit on the couch and use my feet and two arms to pull it all the way back and had my wife look at the tiller for me.

Then took it into work and had one of the guys pull it back in shooting style... looked real good.  They ooooo'd and ahhhhh'd at it.  So that's cool

Will be shipping off Monday!  
I shot it today.. again, not at full draw ... but holy cow..  Zings arrows fast at my part draw.  Hope the recip gets some use out of her!
God gave you hands, use them

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1986 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I stand by my earlier comment.  At this point I'm happy to be still bowless.

Bradford, that is phenomenal!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline REBbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1987 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Steven, glad you finally got it. I mailed it last Saturday and I was in a hurry to get it sent and didn't write any kind of note. It is a BBI in case you couldn't tell. This was my first time using Ipe and my skill level is far less than what I've seen from others here,but I hope it is ok .
Thanks Larry

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1988 on: July 16, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow Bradford.  I especially like the specs with all the XX's.   :)

When I first came to this site I was kind of fussy about what I thought was a good looking bow but now after watching this bow trade thread it's more like it's hard to find one that isn't sharp looking.  Building or trying to build bows has given me a much greater appreciation for the finished product.

What a great group of people and I'm just glad to get to be part of it.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1989 on: July 16, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Super sweet looking bow Bradford!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1990 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Got you as marked as receive reb, Bradford nice bow. I know ******** will love it. Let me know when you ship her.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1991 on: July 16, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I finally got around to taking pics. It has rained here fot the last 5 or 6 days(I'm not complaining!) but anyway here is the bow that
Mo Overvides sent to me for the bow trade. It is red oak pyramid style long bow, 75" long, 50#@26"

Mo carved a very interesting handle and dippled it with a cool pattern. Here is the belly side...

and the back of the handle...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1992 on: July 16, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
well now pat that bow is simple yet very elegant. Long and lean, with nice curves in just the right spots, wait are we still talking about bows.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1993 on: July 16, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
You've been in the desert too long, Kelly! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1994 on: July 16, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
These last couple posted are sweet...momma always said good things come to those who are patient and not buggin for everything in the store...now 40 years later it finally makes sense.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1995 on: July 16, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Bradford, thats a neat looking recurve, what woods did you use in the riser?

Kelly, I agree with Pat, it's time to get you home when you start using words like that to describe a bow, lol....Dan

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by KellyG:
well now pat that bow is simple yet very elegant. Long and lean, with nice curves in just the right spots, wait are we still talking about bows.
You should check out the '11 trailcam pics thread on PowWow Kelly....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1997 on: July 16, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
WOW Bradford that bow is absolutely awesome!!!
If that bow was headed to Missouri, I'd wait on it till October if I had to. Very nice work!
  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1998 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  The main riser wood is Ash, the handle area is Ash that is stained with Minwax Onyx.. the nose cone are Madrone and Paduak.  

I was real happy with the ash.  I found a great piece at the hardwood store.. and it is hard enough to be a bow, but still workable.  Also accepted the stain really, really good.. much better than the maple.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1999 on: July 17, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Come on David, that's my 11 year old daughter! You need to spend less time in the trees. LOL.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©