Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51356 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #2160 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I have both horn lams ready for glue up. I'm a little worried about glue lines. I want them perfect and I'm working on the best way to do this.

The python skins came and they don't look to bad.

John, again, I am planning on making it to the deer hunt. I really think I will get there this time. It would be awsome if a bunch of us could be there with our trade bows!

The photo gallery is wonderful Swissbow! I was thinking of going through this thread to see them all, now I don't have too!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2161 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Bona, have you tried using bicycle tire tubes and wrap your bow after glueing. I got my best glue lines using these when I made backed bows. They are free from any bike shop.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2162 on: July 28, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I might try that Pat.

I have glued small pcs of leather on my 1 1/2 c clamps and I will do another mock glue up to see if that will work better than the strips of plexi glass I was going to use.

I might try your idea on the other limb especially if my plan doesn't work.

The center of the belly is flat but the outside edges are rounded. It will probably make a shootable bow if the glue lines aren't so pretty but not a bow I want to give to someone.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2163 on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Bona, pull the "tube" bands as tight as you can. I don't think you can get them too tight.  You may have top add screw clamps at the fades to insure good glue lines there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2164 on: July 28, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I glued up my boo backed bow that I'm working on with pegs through a board for my jig and used inner tubes for clamping and it came out great.

I didn't wrap it. I cut my tubes length ways and started at one end and went back and forth over the bow and hooked it on the pegs the length of the bow.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2165 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
"I have both horn lams ready for glue up. I'm a little worried about glue lines. I want them perfect and I'm working on the best way to do this."

Bona, for what it's worth.......If you use Urac you can wrap it in saran wrap before clamping or inner tubing it in place and the plastic wrap will hold the glue up against the sides. This will allow the Urac to cure in place where it needs to fill the edges rather than run off down the sides leaving a void on the edge of your glue lines. As long as the Urac is held in place until it sets up it will fill the voids, then when you sand off the edges it will look nice and filled.

This works for me, maybe it will help for what your going to do with the horn?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2166 on: July 28, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Bona, perfection is a wonderful thing to try to attain, but don't let it beat you up. I have made many really nice pieces of wooden furniture along with several bows, and while they were very good everyone has an issue that I know about. Perfect, no but real nice anyway. I'm sure your recipient will be extremely happy with your bow. I believe it is unique in that it is the only horn bellied bow in the bunch. Also stop watching Swisbow's thread, that is intimidating as all heck for those of us still working on our bows.

P.S. Even DaVinci forgot the eyebrows on the Mona Lisa  :)
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2167 on: July 28, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
Oh how very true Razor, true dat.
I've seen very few picture perfect bows without a noticable flaw somewhere and never built one myself. Like Tony said, others probably won't be able to find the flaws but you yourself know where they are. Doesn't matter, cause I'm sure your bow will be very nice Bona and I can't wait to see it when your done.   :thumbsup:  

I've not seen many attempt what your doing so that's a testiment right there to how much you care about doing your absolute best. That's what this is all about.

I agree about the bow picture thread too, it's pretty humbling to see what others are capable of building, I just keep saying to myself "Someday when I grow up" LOL   :goldtooth:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2168 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradbower:
I forgot to mention about the great job Tyler did on packaging. I went back and read his post about what he used in the riser wrap,an old boot tounge or insole. Well I take the bow out of the tube and there is an "OLD SOCK" with holes(the socks smelled Downey fresh)    wrapped on each end of bow. I know why know I received this bow in only 1 day Priority Mail. NO DAMAGE
        Thanks Again Tyler for "GREAT BOW"
                 Pete
You're welcome. I can't believe you smelled my old sock! Yes, they were clean but you didn't know that! I'm just sayin', that was dangerous, you've never seen my feet!!!!!
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2169 on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks everybody! It feels less daunting now.

BTW, if you had a can of Urac in the fridge but the date is 6/30/10 would you use if on your trade bow?

I know, it's cheap. And so what I have to wait for another can to be delivered.... I'd better get a new can.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2170 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I received my trade bow from Kodiac kid, I am very proud to be the recipent of such a great bow, I found time to shoot it a few times and it shot great 20 yards three arrows all touching. Im sure it will draw blood this fall, Thanks so much for a great bow and the three hand crafted arrows.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2171 on: July 28, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Bona, if the Urac has been in the frig all along it should be OK. IT has only been one year.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2172 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2173 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Kerryb I got you marked down. So that is 61 bows revived now and 22 still waiting bows but 5 are in the mail.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2174 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Thus...I have a roughly 25% chance of having mine in the mail  :D

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2175 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
We got a shooter! I final sanded last night and started finishing her. I shot her as much as I could, with a duct tape arm guard, and no finger tabs. I literally shot her, over the course of two nights, until my left hand's shooting fingers went totally black and blue. I just didn't want to stop shooting. Bare shaft at 8 yards doesn't tell you much, but at 2 am setting up the targets in the yard, and spot lights is not a great idea. It did tell me, however, that this thing is a blast to shoot. I am hoping to have her done by the Elm Hall shoot next weekend. Take her up there for her graduation party, then ship the following week.

I hope *******_**@** likes it. It only took me 6 times to get it right!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2176 on: July 29, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Fish don't forget to post some pics of your boy helping and congrats on getting her done

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2177 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
until my left hand's shooting fingers went totally black and blue
Looks like its for a lefty, rats thats not me. Can't complain as mine isn't done yet either, but getting close, just need the last couple of coats of poly, a string and a big old tube.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Monkey Wrench

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2178 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Inuumarue:
For all of you guys still waiting, just to narrow the list of possible bowyers I got mine in today from Brad/Monkey Wrench. Shes a looker for sure and the three arrows I got to shoot before the rain came in were very promising.  I'm looking forward to taking it out for some more.  I'll get some money shots up when the weather turns nice again.

Thanks Brad!
Adam
I glad to see the bow is shooting well for ya.  With all the arrows I flung, she seemed to zip them right along.  Although the ipe/boo combo is frustrating to build, they sure sling an arrow quickly.  

Sorry I could not respond to this sooner, my son has been playing in the little league world series, we were there all week...BECAUSE HE TOOK 3RD PLACE!!!  Not bow-related I know, but I am one proud papa.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2179 on: July 29, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:
Fish don't forget to post some pics of your boy helping and congrats on getting her done

Stiks
Wish I could say he helped me on this one Stiks, but I had pretty much between the hours of 10pm n 2/3am (wake up at 6 everyday) to work on it. He was pretty much done for by the time I can get going, and i've been doing that for a good 2.5 weeks working on this bow. BUT, we are going to start on his bow along side one for the MI longbow assoc. that I will be making. We're going to start on them once I mail this one to a lucky lady in Kansas. His will be his, but the one I'd be making will be a youth bow that traveled with the club, hopefully to attract more youth to the world of archery. I will do a build a long for those for sure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©