Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)  (Read 51308 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2011 (pics and post)
« Reply #2240 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Very nice Osagetree!
Your not the only one who picks up road kill either, if they aren't all mangled I'll jump into a major hwy to grab a snake before it's completely destroyed.

Ain't no shame in recycling and I just look at it as little gifts from Heaven. Waste not, want not.

*EDIT*

Wanted to add Bona and K30 to the list of back pats, nice bows to both of you! Some people still waiting will be dang happy they are still on the list of people not recieved yet.

Bona- I agree with John and Roy, just shoot er in cause it looks great from where I'm sitting. You might be too critical on yourself?

Fantastic work to everybody.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2241 on: August 03, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I got her out of the hot box just a few minutes ago to pull her to target draw length a few times. My son has said he would shoot her for me but I wanted to work her in myself some.

She has gained 5 lbs overnight! Do you figure she picked up that much humidity while being tillered yesterday, then lost it overnight at 40% humidity?

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2242 on: August 03, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
I seen a dead snake on the road this AM running. it was too mangled and I have not seen any over about 3' and most are about as big around as a jump rope. But smothing about a 17 ton vechical running them over just does not leave much, I guess I could just set it aside and put the whole thing on a limb at that point.

Bona I will get back to you on your PM after I get to my room and look at my data.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2243 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Kelly all ya need ta do is carry a spachulla in da truck witch cha. It makes gettin em off da road much easeier.  :bigsmyl:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2244 on: August 03, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I feel sorry for those who have received their swap bow and I also feel really bad for those who have not.  I received the best bow of the whole lot, so everyone else will have to settle for just a bit less.  K30bowfisher did a absolutely wonderful job on the bow.  If I could have had my pick of all the bows on the swap to date this would have been my pick.  
She is not only a looker but she shoots real good also. I can't believe my luck, thanks a million.  Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet to busy admiring and flinging arrows.

Offline K30bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2245 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Jess,
Glad you like it and I hope it works well for you. I think that you may still have been short changed, that longbow you built for the swap was completely awesome.
It is better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2246 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Jess, I'm happy for ya, brother. But... We may need another thread to argue over which of ya'll got the second best bow since I was gifted with the most fantabulous of the trade. (Thanks again, Keenan, and its okay if they're road kill rattlers.)
  :archer:

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2247 on: August 03, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Mark me down as recieved. Got a very nice red oak board bow from twitchstick today. Paper backed, bendy handle, leather grip and cherry tips. Would love to tell you how she shoots but have disciplined myself that I will not shoot it until I get my bow in the mail. This should happen Saturday, if the humidity lets the finish set up.
Thanks Twitch, she looks great and will post soe pics real soon.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2248 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Ok these are the last twenty bowyers who have not received a bow. let me know if you are on this list and should not be or if you are not on this list and you should be. There are 4 bows in mailed.
eman16
1oldbowguy
Cuban Missile
soopernate
scottm
SaMb02
Mike Mecredy
Johan van Niekerk
Walt Francis
Shaun
bjansen
Dan Landis
KochNE
H8nonCubs
Diamondback59
NTD
No-sage
Dmaxshawn
Goose Gosett
John Lipinski

We are at 76% complete.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2249 on: August 04, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
I once gave a young teenage gentleman one of my black locust bows with a snake skin on it. He ended up killing a 10 point with it two weeks later. Ever since then,,, he brings me every road kill or havest he can get. HE bags and freezes them and brings them to me each summer. This one was torn up pretty bad so the pattern does not run exactly true down the limbs. Gotta move them around some to avoid the holes ya know.....

I will harvest live snakes if I have the chance, when I feel like it & if my fishing permit is current. It's legal in Ohio as long as you follow the rules.

I've also caught them in my minnow traps by accident but, I didn't let those waste either.

Sorry,,, I'm back on topic now.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2250 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
You guys can argue about 2nd best bow all ya like, cause a 2 piece osage selfbow that shoots like the one Broketooth made for me is IMPOSSIBLE to beat. Especially since it came with a sleeve and arrows to boot.

I am currently putting the finish on the my bow Kelly. I am gonna take her up to Elm Hall with me this weekend to try the course with her, and about 4 other bows. I will be putting her in the mail early next week once I get the packing stuff.

I will report once it's in the mail.

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2251 on: August 04, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Hope to see ya there Fish!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2252 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Razorback, I'm certain I couldn't honor a vow like that. I'd turn the flood lights on and shoot in the dark. Or stand under the carport and shoot out into the rain. 'Bout had a fit when my wife made me wait to open the bow so she could see, too.
Stan

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2253 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
The mail carrier almost gave the big one today when she came up the driveway honking the horn, about broke my neck to get there and then she hands me a box from QVC.  I was quite disappointed, but then I see all these bows being completed soon and I know the best is yet to come....Dan

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2254 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
That would be my luck next year Dan I would trip and fall running to get the mail person and trip and fall and break my arm. Then just sit around hold the bow til it healed. So nest year whoever make mine early so I can have time to heal up and shoot it before deer season.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2255 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I need these bowyers to contact me ASAP or Stiks before this next dead line.
No-sage
NTD
bowur
KochNE
If any of you know them let them know to contact me or stiks

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2256 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Thanks Kelly I was just getting ready to post the same thing
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2257 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Welcome Stiks it all part of the job.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2258 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I'm having a tough time getting my finish to dry in this ridamndiculous weather. Hopefully by the time I get home tonight I can start shooting her again, and get her weighed. Pics to come soon.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2259 on: August 05, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Hi, guys... lots of activity.   I haven't been posting last week plus.. been too darn sick.  I'm home again, though, and on the way to being better... they say.   Some comments on that:

1.  if you have a cold that really lingers, get it looked at.  It could be walking pneumonia.  Mine was.
2.  If you have walking pneumonia, don't get food poisoning.  Already weakened, it'll damn near kill you!
3. When you're old and you get this sick, you get scared it's something worse than it maybe is.

Aside from all that, I've noted the number of you having problems getting finishes to set up.   I made a "drying tube"... big piece of plastic sewer pipe.   Cut it in half lengthwise and hinged it, cut one half off a foot short.  I hang the bow from the ceiling, then close the tube around it and set a floor heater with a fan in front of the short side's opening at floor level.   I can get three coats of rubbed out TruOil on in a day with no trouble.  Even where you have high heat an humidity, just the moving air should be a big help.

Just realized, those of you with wiggly limbs would need a real big pipe.  With my straight bows, 10 to 12" works fine.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©